Student Debt Slavery:

Student Debt Slavery:

Postby Fletch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Student Debt Slavery: Bankrolling Financiers on the Backs of the Young

The advantages of slavery by debt over “chattel” slavery—ownership of humans as a property right—were set out in an infamous document called the Hazard Circular, reportedly circulated by British banking interests among their American banking counterparts during the American Civil War. It read in part:

Slavery is likely to be abolished by the war power and chattel slavery destroyed. This, I and my European friends are glad of, for slavery is but the owning of labor and carries with it the care of the laborers, while the European plan, led by England, is that capital shall control labor by controlling wages.

Slaves had to be housed, fed and cared for. “Free” men housed and fed themselves. For the more dangerous jobs, such as mining, Irish immigrants were used rather than black slaves, because the Irish were expendable. Free men could be kept enslaved by debt, by paying wages insufficient to meet their costs of living. The Hazard Circular explained how to control wages:

This can be done by controlling the money. The great debt that capitalists will see to it is made out of the war, must be used as a means to control the volume of money. … It will not do to allow the greenback, as it is called, to circulate as money any length of time, as we cannot control that.

The government, too, had to be enslaved by debt. It could not be allowed to simply issue the money it needed to meet its budget, as Abraham Lincoln’s government did with its greenbacks (government-issued U.S. notes). The greenback program was terminated after the war, forcing the government to borrow from banks—banks that created the money themselves, just as the government had been doing. Only about 10 percent of the “bank notes” then issued by banks were actually backed by gold. The rest were effectively counterfeit. The difference between government-created and bank-created money was that the government issued it and spent it on the federal budget, creating demand and stimulating the economy. Banks issued money and lent it, at interest. More had to be paid back than was lent, keeping the supply of money tight and keeping both workers and the government in debt.

Student Debt Peonage

Slavery by debt has continued to this day, and it is particularly evident in the plight of students. Graduates leave college with a diploma and a massive debt on their backs, averaging more than $37,000 in 2016. The government’s student loan portfolio now totals $1.37 trillion, making it the second highest consumer debt category, behind only mortgage debt. Student debt has risen nearly 164 percent in 25 years, while median wages have increased only 1.6 percent.

Unlike mortgage debt, student debt must be paid. Students cannot just turn in their diplomas and walk away, as homeowners can with their keys. Wages, unemployment benefits, tax refunds and even Social Security checks can be tapped to ensure repayment. In 1998, Sallie Mae (the Student Loan Marketing Association) was privatized, and Congress removed the dischargeability of federal student debt in bankruptcy, absent exceptional circumstances. In 2005, this lender protection was extended to private student loans. Because lenders know that their debts cannot be discharged, they have little incentive to consider a student borrower’s ability to repay. Most students are granted a nearly unlimited line of credit. This, in turn, has led to skyrocketing tuition rates—because universities know the money is available to pay them—and that has created the need for students to borrow even more.

Students take on a huge debt load with the promise that their degrees will be the doorway to jobs that allow them to pay it back, but ....

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/stude ... cks-young/

The Hazard Circular - Documentary Evidence

https://www.scribd.com/doc/240517700/Th ... y-Evidence

I've included the Hazard Circular link mentioned in the first paragraph and where the quotes came from as well as original link.

A look in to something that was dicussed in another thread, education and the way it has become a vehicle for debt rather than something to benefit society. It's an American view but as is evident, we seem to follow America rather than Europe. Or do we control America (through banking) rather than Europe?

As the article states:

Meanwhile, university tuition is still free in many countries in Europe, including Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Norway, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Sweden and Turkey. But providing an affordable education for the next generation is evidently not a priority with our government. Only 3 percent of the federal budget is spent on education—not just for college loans, but for school programs of all sorts, from kindergarten through graduate school.

The Neo Liberal privatise and monetise everything ideology for the last 40 yeas or so has destroyed public services and communities. No matter what people say, public services are not well suited to private interests. There are many things that wealthy countries should provide for their citizens out of the taxes they pay. Instead we have far more given to private concerns on the pretence that private is efficient and public is inefficient. The only think public services are inefficient at is lining the pockets of the rich. That includes the greedy corporate types installed as managers, CEO's or directors to oversea what remains of public services. It's all about enriching the few and their operatives than providing for society.

(see health, schools, universities, transport, utilities, house building, the whole damn nine yards) :shake head:
Fletch

Re: Student Debt Slavery:

Postby Maddog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Why is university so expensive that many kids have to borrow money to attend?

I didn't borrow a dime. My daughter's have various degrees of debt after my financial assistance.
Maddog

Postby Fletch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Maddog wrote:Why is university so expensive that many kids have to borrow money to attend?

I didn't borrow a dime. My daughter's have various degrees of debt after my financial assistance.

It's all in the article mads.

The GI Bill’s educational benefits helped train legions of professionals, spurring postwar economic growth. It funded the education of 450,000 engineers, 240,000 accountants, 238,000 teachers, 91,000 scientists, 67,000 doctors and 22,000 dentists, 14 future Nobel laureates, two dozen Pulitzer Prize winners, three Supreme Court justices and three presidents of the United States. Loans enabled by the bill also boosted the housing market, raising home ownership from 44 percent before the war to 60 percent by 1956. Rather than costing the government, the GI Bill turned out to be one of the best investments it ever made. The legislation is estimated to have cost $50 billion in today’s dollars and to have returned $350 billion to the economy, a nearly sevenfold return.

The exponential rise in college costs occurred only after the government got into the student loan business in a big way.

The baby boomers (and I am one) benefited in the biggest way from the world, since then it's been an oligarchs playground.
Fletch

Postby Viper » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:02 pm

Tl;dr
Viper

Postby Maddog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Fletch wrote:
Maddog wrote:Why is university so expensive that many kids have to borrow money to attend?

The GI Bill’s educational benefits helped train legions of professionals, spurring postwar economic growth. It funded the education of 450,000 engineers, 240,000 accountants, 238,000 teachers, 91,000 scientists, 67,000 doctors and 22,000 dentists, 14 future Nobel laureates, two dozen Pulitzer Prize winners, three Supreme Court justices and three presidents of the United States. Loans enabled by the bill also boosted the housing market, raising home ownership from 44 percent before the war to 60 percent by 1956. Rather than costing the government, the GI Bill turned out to be one of the best investments it ever made. The legislation is estimated to have cost $50 billion in today’s dollars and to have returned $350 billion to the economy, a nearly sevenfold return.

The exponential rise in college costs occurred only after the government got into the student loan business in a big way.

The baby boomers (and I am one) benefited in the biggest way from the world, since then it's been an oligarchs playground.

Correct.
Maddog

Postby Fletch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Maddog wrote:
Fletch wrote:

Correct.

Government are the paid actors of the oligarchs. It's corruption. The problem is not government as an entity, just your particular form of government. And ours to a lesser extent.

The article is about much more than high tuition fees, it's the way the few now control the many, through debt. It comes in many different guises be it mortgages, car loans, business loans or student loans. All from private banks, not government. Where does the real problem lie?
Fletch

Postby Rockstar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:06 pm

I just read somewhere USA student debt loan is $1.2 TRILLION..

Jon Oliver covered this extensively in his Last Week Tonight Programme well...
Rockstar

Postby Fletch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:29 pm

Rockstar wrote:I just read somewhere USA student debt loan is $1.2 TRILLION..

It's ridiculous. Just a way of controlling the masses, as the article says. It's going that way here too, the start was selling council homes cheap so people had a mortgage and more to lose than in rented so the workforce became more subservient to less pay and worse conditions. The increasing the multiples and relaxing the lending' along with various government schemes still goes on. The rented sector is mostly now private so benefits ensure the capitalists get paid high rents.

All due to a country's money being created and issued as debt by private banks. As the article says, the greenback was killed off as was the President who becked it. More heads of government, both in US and around the world have been killed because they dared to issue their own money rather than private banks. Libya, Iran, North Korea, Syria and Iraq for example. Look at what happened/is happening to those.

Debt slavery replaced actual slavery and the link in OP to the Hazard Circular explains it.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/240517700/Th ... y-Evidence
Fletch

Postby Maddog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:33 pm

It's a shit load. If you wan to be a hairdresser, your "degree" will cost you 20 grand. There's a bazillion 18 year old girls that borrow that much (it's far too easy), and never finish, or finish and never get a good paying job. There are plenty of worthless university degrees too.

The schools love it and take you by the hand and help you borrow. It's much like the mortgage crisis. Once the government starts guaranteeing these loans, no one cares if anyone can ever pay them back.
Maddog

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Wtf is all this babbling comparing student debt to slavery? I mean pulease!
Do me a fucking favour and stop being an whiney arsehole.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:44 pm

And capitalists collecting rent?
We live in a capitalist country, we're all capitalists.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:And capitalists collecting rent?

Are you a slum landlord?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:47 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:And capitalists collecting rent?

Are you a slum landlord?

No. I'm not a slum billionaire either before you ask.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Maddog wrote:

It's a shit load. If you wan to be a hairdresser, your "degree" will cost you 20 grand. There's a bazillion 18 year old girls that borrow that much (it's far too easy), and never finish, or finish and never get a good paying job. There are plenty of worthless university degrees too.

The schools love it and take you by the hand and help you borrow. It's much like the mortgage crisis. Once the government starts guaranteeing these loans, no one cares if anyone can ever pay them back.

Most don't pay them back here either.
Hairdresser degre? :srs?:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Maddog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:Wtf is all this babbling comparing student debt to slavery? I mean pulease!
Do me a fucking favour and stop being an whiney arsehole.

It is a bit of hyperbole. I mean borrowing money to get a degree in Gender Studies is hardly the same as being forced to work while being considered someone else's property.
Maddog

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs