Signs of Advanced Alien life in Our Galaxy?

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

Re: Signs of Advanced Alien life in Our Galaxy?

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 am

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:That's assuming the Big Bang is the 'correct' answer. There have been various other theories put forward. One problem with the Big Bang theory is 'what was there before', as essentially in simplistic terms we are talking about something coming out of nothing, which defies our current knowledge of the laws of physics.

Since 4 dimensional spacetime doesn't come into being until after the big bang there is no "before".

This is the difficult bit to get our heads around, that technically the laws of physics can change with the passage of time. And what is time anyway? Time for us as in 24 hours in the day may be different for other life forms in the universe. One other problem with 'the universe has a boundary' theory is 'what is beyond that boundary'? There are so many things we just don't know (yet).

We haven't even mastered nuclear fusion, which basically runs the Sun.

And perhaps many things we cannot know because they "exist" outside of our realm of "being",
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:29 am

McAz wrote:Mind boggling indeed, Raven. But once we learn to think outside of "causality" and "dualism" it becomes graspable...

...just. :ooer:

:smilin:

I never ask myself the question "why are we here?" I believe we are just the result of natural chemical reactions and natural biological evolution thereafter.

To imagine some omnipresent being made all of this for little old us is a bit of a grandiose claim when considering the infinite size of our own universe let alone the multiverse.

I admire those working toward a greater understanding of where we are in all this because they cannot possibly expect to get major answers anytime soon.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:30 am

LordRaven wrote:
McAz wrote:Mind boggling indeed, Raven. But once we learn to think outside of "causality" and "dualism" it becomes graspable...

I never ask myself the question "why are we here?" I believe we are just the result of natural chemical reactions and natural biological evolution thereafter.

To imagine some omnipresent being made all of this for little old us is a bit of a grandiose claim when considering the infinite size of our own universe let alone the multiverse.

I admire those working toward a greater understanding of where we are in all this because they cannot possibly expect to get major answers anytime soon.

Yes, supernatural creator beings are nonsense.
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 am

McAz wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

And yet I just found one posting in this section who believes in some weird stuff.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 am

LordRaven wrote:
McAz wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

And yet I just found one posting in this section who believes in some weird stuff.

So what? :scratch:
McAz

Postby jra » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:40 am

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:That's assuming the Big Bang is the 'correct' answer. There have been various other theories put forward. One problem with the Big Bang theory is 'what was there before', as essentially in simplistic terms we are talking about something coming out of nothing, which defies our current knowledge of the laws of physics.

Since 4 dimensional spacetime doesn't come into being until after the big bang there is no "before".

This is the difficult bit to get our heads around, that technically the laws of physics can change with the passage of time. And what is time anyway? Time for us as in 24 hours in the day may be different for other life forms in the universe. One other problem with 'the universe has a boundary' theory is 'what is beyond that boundary'? There are so many things we just don't know (yet).

And perhaps many things we cannot know because they "exist" outside of our realm of "being",

The human race is naturally inquisitive. That's why we are where we are today, i.e. evolving in technology developments and inventions etc., not just content living in caves and sitting around a camp fire (which btw, we are the only species on planet Earth that has learnt how to utilize fire in a controlled way, AFAIK). We as a species have never really been content with leaving things just as they are for good or for bad. So, in that respect we want to know the answers to the questions I've posed for example, so the quest will continue. Even the most intelligent animals on the planet other than us, probably don't know that the outer Solar System planets exist (Uranus and Neptune) because they can't see or detect them. We know because we invented telescopes and have sent out space probes.
jra

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:47 am

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:

The human race is naturally inquisitive. That's why we are where we are today, i.e. evolving in technology developments and inventions etc., not just content living in caves and sitting around a camp fire (which btw, we are the only species on planet Earth that has learnt how to utilize fire in a controlled way, AFAIK). We as a species have never really been content with leaving things just as they are for good or for bad. So, in that respect we want to know the answers to the questions I've posed for example, so the quest will continue. Even the most intelligent animals on the planet other than us, probably don't know that the outer Solar System planets exist (Uranus and Neptune) because they can't see or detect them. We know because we invented telescopes and have sent out space probes.

But we are highly unlikely to be the most advanced beings in this multi-dimensional universe - therefore what we "perceive" or may ever be able to perceive may be as limited as an imaginary being living in a two-dimensional environment attempting to perceive what the "truth" is in a 4-dimensional one.
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:48 am

McAz wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
McAz wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Meaning the old answer to anything unexplained --God -- is still being used today, even on here.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:49 am

LordRaven wrote:
McAz wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
McAz wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Meaning the old answer to anything unexplained --God -- is still being used today, even on here.

Yes, superstition prevails. I thought we'd see the end of it by now, I was wrong.
McAz

Postby jra » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:57 am

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:

But we are highly unlikely to be the most advanced beings in this multi-dimensional universe - therefore what we "perceive" or may ever be able to perceive may be as limited as an imaginary being living in a two-dimensional environment attempting to perceive what the "truth" is in a 4-dimensional one.

We are already fairly sure that we're unlikely to be the most intelligent organisms in the universe. Predictive statistics alone would suggest that.

Plus, some scientists have suggested there are more than 4 dimensions.
jra

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:03 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:

We are already fairly sure that we're unlikely to be the most intelligent organisms in the universe. Predictive statistics alone would suggest that.

Plus, some scientists have suggested there are more than 4 dimensions.

Yes and yes - the universe will have additional dimensions (a second dimension of time being the most exciting since it dispenses with causality) - but we are bound by 4, much as our imaginary being is bound by 2.
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:21 pm

As for advanced Alien life I am aware that there are solar systems that predate us by Billions of years and therefore if the right conditions were in place for the necessary chemical reactions to produce the right chemistry for life and thereafter biological evolution to take place there should surely be beings far more advanced than ourselves out there.
However the latest theories regarding the Earth being a 2nd stage planet, the first having been smashed in a collision resulting in a wobble and a moon, suggest that primary stage planets might not bear fruit life-wise.
RNA being formed in rock pools heated by the sun and drifted back into the ocean to make a chemical soup, the precursor to life, required a moon to create tides and that seems to be the best theory as to life commencing on planet Earth.
But I am also certain that such processes can be replicated elsewhere in a different format given all that is needed for the right chemistry to commence is rock containing elements, a solution to dissolve the goodies in and a heat source to commence cooking --hence deep ocean smokers suggest life could be possible in subterranean oceans on ice moons (Europa, Enceladus, Titan Ganymede etc) heated internally by tidal gravitational warming.Not that any creatures under such vast layers of ice will ever be able to master technology, as per sea creatures here on earth, and if exposed above the ice they would surely be irradiated.
It's life Jim but not as we know it- as stated by Spock suggests that we shouldn't confine our search to carbon based lifeforms, because life might be derived from other means. For instance Titan has seas of liquid methane and ethanol on its surface- a solution for chemistry to take place - and there have been observation of Hydrogen production which some scientists believe suggests could mean something is feeding on ethanol or methane. Titan has a very dense atmosphere and weather after all, the Huygens mission there provided lots of data and it showed it has precipitation and rivers as well as lakes.
Even finding microbial life in our solar system would mean a second genesis and that would bode well for Intelligent life elsewhere in our galaxy and the greater cosmos.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:17 pm

Could Nasa's James Webb Space Telescope detect alien life?

If it does launch as currently scheduled in 2021, it will be 14 years late. When finally in position, though - orbiting the Sun 1.5 million km from Earth - Nasa's James Webb Space Telescope promises an astronomical revolution.

The US space agency boasts that it will literally "look back in time to see the very first galaxies that formed in the early Universe".

As if those claims were not bold enough, scientists have now surmised that the eventual successor to the world famous and beloved Hubble Space Telescope may - thanks to its 6.5m golden mirror and exquisitely sensitive cameras - have a another extraordinary talent.

The JWST, as it is called, may be able to look for signs of alien life - detecting whether atmospheres of planets orbiting nearby stars are being modified by that life.

Despite this, the project to build it narrowly survived cancellation by the US Government in 2011. That was in no small part down to its (perhaps appropriately) astronomical cost - an estimated $10bn rather than its originally planned $1bn.

Back on Earth, however, astronomers - including the University of Washington team who proposed "life-detection" observations using the telescope - are unerringly thrilled at the prospect of its launch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45400144

This device is going to be a game changer
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:11 pm

I have a feeling that new telescopes analysing the atmospheres of exoplanets will make amazing discoveries that will raise far more questions than answers.
We’d be better off working on close to light speed propulsion to send swarms of mini satellites to the best target planets to get answers.
It might take decades for information to get back to us but it would be fascinating to gaze down on exoplanets.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:00 pm

It took 63 years from first powered flight until man landed on the moon, technology was speeded up by two world wars.
Since the early 1970’s humans have not ventured past near earth orbit and it’s a great shame.
We should have landed on Mars ages ago, all we’ve done is stalled preferring to send robots.
Robots are incapable of human capacities and our inquisitive nature and, as has been shown in experiments on earth, can miss stuff like fossils openly on display on the surface. They are not great.
We need to go to Mars as soon as possible and we need to start colonising space and extraction raw materials from space because the earth’s resources are finite.
For this to happen we need more exotic faster cheaper propulsion systems, artificial gravity, inertial dampers, greater recycling abilities of air water and food for long journeys.
Who knows when the next extinction level event is coming?

PreviousNext

Return to Science And Technology