The World's First Head Transplant..

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

The World's First Head Transplant..

Postby Vicky » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:31 pm

A Neurosurgeon who want's to carry out the world's first "Head Transplant" has outlined plans to conduct "Frankenstein" experiments to reanimate human corpses to test his technique.

Valery Spiridonov hopes to become the first person to have the operation, but his girlfriend is opposed to the idea.

I don't blame her, because i think Valery Spiridonov is liable to end up dead.

I'm all for advances in medicine, but i think this is a step too far.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3798056/Head-transplant-surgeon-plans-controversial-Frankenstein-experiments-reanimate-corpses.html
Vicky

Re: The World's First Head Transplant..

Postby Vicky » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Valery Spiridonov the man who want's to have the world's first head transplant.

The procedure would see his head removed from his body and transplanted onto a donors body.
Vicky

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:06 pm

I'd rather die. If he survives he will probably be insane quite quickly and in terrible agony.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Vicky » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:00 am

Stooo wrote:I'd rather die. If he survives he will probably be insane quite quickly and in terrible agony.

I would rather die as well, it's a seriously bad idea. Image
Vicky

Postby McAz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:30 pm

...but what if it's a body transplant? :dunno:
McAz

Postby Stooo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:18 pm

Aziz wrote:...but what if it's a body transplant? :dunno:

The heart appears to have it's own intelligence separate from the brain and this appears to be actually complimentary with organ recipients changing personality towards such things as eating preferences, the vital organs communicate with themselves and a complete transplant may well overload the brain. There is no way that you would wake up as the same person, think about it in action. Quadriplegic people manage to live without a huge amount of hardware to keep them alive even though their spinal cords have often been cut, so how do the kidneys know what to do? There is communication between VOs separate from the brain but also communicating with it without using the nervous system (probably through some sort of genetic coding through blood cells) and a full transfer would be like sticking a spanner on the the terminals of a car battery.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Stooo wrote:
Aziz wrote:...but what if it's a body transplant? :dunno:

The heart appears to have it's own intelligence separate from the brain and this appears to be actually complimentary with organ recipients changing personality towards such things as eating preferences, the vital organs communicate with themselves and a complete transplant may well overload the brain. There is no way that you would wake up as the same person, think about it in action. Quadriplegic people manage to live without a huge amount of hardware to keep them alive even though their spinal cords have often been cut, so how do the kidneys know what to do? There is communication between VOs separate from the brain but also communicating with it without using the nervous system (probably through some sort of genetic coding through blood cells) and a full transfer would be like sticking a spanner on the the terminals of a car battery.

Not to mention the brain-gut axis or "second brain" - but surely what is at the core here is where the "I" exists, and few people doubt that it resides in the brain in our heads. Now of course if nothing else the psychological implications are enormous even if all physical barriers are overcome - but I have a feeling this is perfectly do-able and will eventually be accepted - I just wouldn't want to be a pioneer.
McAz

Postby luddite » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Hucking Fell! If this works I want Scarlet Johansson's body. :whistle:
luddite

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:02 pm

luddite wrote:Hucking Fell! If this works I want Scarlet Johansson's body. :whistle:

with your face.......
:yikes:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Si_Crewe » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:34 am

Stooo wrote:The heart appears to have it's own intelligence separate from the brain and this appears to be actually complimentary with organ recipients changing personality towards such things as eating preferences, the vital organs communicate with themselves and a complete transplant may well overload the brain. There is no way that you would wake up as the same person, think about it in action. Quadriplegic people manage to live without a huge amount of hardware to keep them alive even though their spinal cords have often been cut, so how do the kidneys know what to do? There is communication between VOs separate from the brain but also communicating with it without using the nervous system (probably through some sort of genetic coding through blood cells) and a full transfer would be like sticking a spanner on the the terminals of a car battery.

Hadn't seen this...

An interesting point there.

Seems like, without a huge amount of testing, trying to stitch one person's head onto another person's body would be a bit like trying to stuff the HDD out of my PC into your PC and, assuming all the physical connections could be made, just hoping that the OS would be compatible with your hardware and that all the right drivers and software would be installed.

And that would almost certainly end with requiring a format of the HDD and reinstallation of all the the software and drivers.
And I don't think that can be done with a brain.
Si_Crewe

Postby luddite » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:
luddite wrote:Hucking Fell! If this works I want Scarlet Johansson's body. :whistle:

with your face.......

Oh, go suck an icicle. :woteva:
luddite

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:16 pm

luddite wrote:
Big Fat Frosty wrote:

with your face.......

Oh, go suck an icicle. :woteva:

maybe if she was like 70 years old and had lots of cats...
:more beer:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Stooo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:
Stooo wrote:The heart appears to have it's own intelligence separate from the brain and this appears to be actually complimentary with organ recipients changing personality towards such things as eating preferences, the vital organs communicate with themselves and a complete transplant may well overload the brain. There is no way that you would wake up as the same person, think about it in action. Quadriplegic people manage to live without a huge amount of hardware to keep them alive even though their spinal cords have often been cut, so how do the kidneys know what to do? There is communication between VOs separate from the brain but also communicating with it without using the nervous system (probably through some sort of genetic coding through blood cells) and a full transfer would be like sticking a spanner on the the terminals of a car battery.

Hadn't seen this...

An interesting point there.

Seems like, without a huge amount of testing, trying to stitch one person's head onto another person's body would be a bit like trying to stuff the HDD out of my PC into your PC and, assuming all the physical connections could be made, just hoping that the OS would be compatible with your hardware and that all the right drivers and software would be installed.

And that would almost certainly end with requiring a format of the HDD and reinstallation of all the the software and drivers.
And I don't think that can be done with a brain.

I got to clear a cellar of a load of hardware a while ago, this included Apple monitors. I plugged ports into ports and burned two square inches of the motherboard out. We're an integrated system at the end of the day.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby PinkSmurf » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:16 pm

He would have to relearn how to do things like walk if it was even possible to do such physical things. I don't think it's a good idea. If he lived he would likely be worse off than he is now, unable to do basic things or carry out basic tasks.
PinkSmurf

Postby luddite » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:43 am

PinkSmurf wrote:He would have to relearn how to do things like walk if it was even possible to do such physical things. I don't think it's a good idea. If he lived he would likely be worse off than he is now, unable to do basic things or carry out basic tasks.

Frankenstein's monster had a bit of trouble fitting in socially too. :header:
luddite

Next

Return to Science And Technology