A right load of bollocks...

Re: When racism dies out

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:41 am

luddite wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
luddite wrote:As we are still importing racists, probably never. :woteva:

You won't live forever. : :again?:

Racism won't die because I'm not here to keep an eye on it Lady M. :woteva:

As we seem hell bent on importing racism we will never be free of it.

We had America as a blueprint for racism, we ignored it and decided that we'd like some of that; the lunatics are in charge. :doomed:

It comes from Imperialism.
America got it from Europe in the first place.
Conquering nations do it because they believe they're superior.
Lady Murasaki

Postby luddite » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:11 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
luddite wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
luddite wrote:As we are still importing racists, probably never. :woteva:

You won't live forever. : :again?:

Racism won't die because I'm not here to keep an eye on it Lady M. :woteva:

As we seem hell bent on importing racism we will never be free of it.

We had America as a blueprint for racism, we ignored it and decided that we'd like some of that; the lunatics are in charge. :doomed:

It comes from Imperialism.
America got it from Europe in the first place.
Conquering nations do it because they believe they're superior.

That was then, I'm concerned about now.

If we carry on importing racists then what's happening in Charlotte will happen here. :wurms:
luddite

Postby Frank39 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:58 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Frank39 wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
traveller wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:As it inevitably will one day. (Don't cry Viper.) What will we have lost?

Why don't you prevail upon Doc Brown and Marty McFly to give you a ride into the future, setting the Delorean's controls for a trillion, billion years from now, find out what the people around then think of it ever dying out, then come back and let us know?

Because that's just lazy. I'd rather just ask you. What will be lost?

I'd guess that by saying travel a trillion, billion years into the future, then asking the people of that time if THEY think racism will ever die out, Traveller inferred that it would still be alive and kicking in the future.
I can't say what would be lost if racism died out, it's more a case of gaining if it did I suppose.
My own take on it is a bit like Chris Rock's HBO special, Bring the Pain, where he claims that there are two kinds of black people, regular black people, whom he likes, and niggas, whom he deplores.
He says there is more racism among blacks than there is among whites, he says that regular black people despise niggas more than whites do.
Niggas do the mugging and crime, and end every sentence with, "know what I'm say sayIn'?", regular black folks are then tarred with the nigga's brush.

Is despising people of your own race who behave in uncivilised ways racism?
I think that's more about being pissed off that they are bringing shame, and worse, on their own race.

Put like that Lady M. I'd have to agree with you, as racism surely can only be something that is felt, or perpetrated against a race other your own.
So when I made the dumb mistake of driving from Tampa FL. to Orlando FL. to spend a w/end with my brother-in-law and his wife, the vehement disgust I felt at watching the loud, drunken, cursing, England soccer shirt wearing chav Brits, wasn't racism, it was anger at myself for not pulling the plug and heading straight back to the civilised side of Florida.
My brother-in-law tacitly agreed with me, but as he not unreasonably put it, "We brought the grand-kids here to see Mickey Mouse and his gang, I've got no choice but to suffer these other clowns."
Frank39

Postby Si_Crewe » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:08 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:You think we can't have diversity without racism? Everyday I see diversity without racism, are you saying non racists have abandoned all rational, objective judgement?
I can't tell if you're being serious.

As to your other weird points...
All skills can be taught/practiced. Don't limit yourself.

I think it's just being realistic.

YOU might be able to appreciate diversity without resorting to racism but that's because you're not a bigot.

The only way we might ever absolutely ensure that racism is eradicated is if we create a situation (somehow) where everybody has exactly the same opinions about everything.
If you have any amount of diverse thinking, which allows one person to appreciate something while another person doesn't, then you're going to get people who take that appreciation to extremes.
And you end up with prejudice and bigotry.
It's pretty-much inevitable as long as there is diversity and passion.

As for your final point, you can teach people what to do. You can't teach people what to think - not all the people, all of the time, at least.
Si_Crewe

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:18 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:You think we can't have diversity without racism? Everyday I see diversity without racism, are you saying non racists have abandoned all rational, objective judgement?
I can't tell if you're being serious.

As to your other weird points...
All skills can be taught/practiced. Don't limit yourself.

I think it's just being realistic.

YOU might be able to appreciate diversity without resorting to racism but that's because you're not a bigot.

The only way we might ever absolutely ensure that racism is eradicated is if we create a situation (somehow) where everybody has exactly the same opinions about everything.
If you have any amount of diverse thinking, which allows one person to appreciate something while another person doesn't, then you're going to get people who take that appreciation to extremes.
And you end up with prejudice and bigotry.
It's pretty-much inevitable as long as there is diversity and passion.

As for your final point, you can teach people what to do. You can't teach people what to think - not all the people, all of the time, at least.

Right, which is why British values strive for tolerance rather than acceptance.

People may not like me for various reasons, be it ethnicity, sex, lack of religious belief or whatever. They should be free to and I don't really care if they hold those views (although I would prefer they didn't.) However they shouldn't be able to get in the way of me leading a happy and peaceful life and therefore should tolerate my existence.

Trying to enforce acceptance is hugely counter productive. Trying to police thought and language have the tentacles of totalitarianism entwined in it. Guiding it is useful however.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Si_Crewe » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:Right, which is why British values strive for tolerance rather than acceptance....

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not. :ooer: :mrgreen:

Tolerance is a terrific thing but it only works if everybody is tolerant and also if nobody does anything that is intolerable. Both of which are utterly subjective conditions.

To digress slightly, there's currently an interesting discussion going on in the USA with regard to the constitutional right to freedom of speech.
The point being that the constitution was drafted at a time when it was accepted that everybody was, basically, using the same moral compass and now we have a world where people who have fundamentally different morals interact with us, should we be forced to tolerate them too?
It's kinda like the old "Tolerance means tolerating the intolerable" cliche.

It's all very well setting standards for what people should act like in a society but I'm not sure how, short of compulsory brain surgery or sedative use, we can expect to guarantee that everybody abides by those standards.

And, again, if (by some miracle) we DO somehow create a society where everybody abides by the same values and has the same level of passion, tolerance and dislike of everything then we WILL have wiped out huge chunks of diversity in the process.
Si_Crewe

Postby luddite » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:09 am

We are accepting into our society a culture which will not integrate and who's religion believes any other to be evil incarnate.
This religion is dedicated to wiping out all others and racism will only cease when this religion is eradicated.

Until then dream on about the demise of racism. :woteva:

This isn't theory, I've seen it face to face.
luddite

Postby Lambert » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:25 am

luddite wrote:We are accepting into our society a culture which will not integrate and who's religion believes any other to be evil incarnate.
This religion is dedicated to wiping out all others and racism will only cease when this religion is eradicated.

Let's face it, if Islam were to disappear overnight, would anyone really give a fuck?
Lambert

Postby Gabby » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:As it inevitably will one day. (Don't cry Viper.) What will we have lost?

TJ!! :doomed:.... where is he anyway? :ooer:
Gabby

Postby Keyser » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:58 pm

Lambert wrote:
luddite wrote:We are accepting into our society a culture which will not integrate and who's religion believes any other to be evil incarnate.

Let's face it, if Islam were to disappear overnight, would anyone really give a fuck?

There would be a worldwide fucking celebration.

Especially by women and gay people.
Keyser

Postby PinkSmurf » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:30 am

Keyser wrote:
Lambert wrote:

There would be a worldwide fucking celebration.

Especially by women and gay people.

Some muslim women are as extreme as the men like the girls and women running to marry ISIS terrorists. They encourage the men to murder non muslims and recruit others. I don't know what the answer is. If we nuke em then civilians will be killed too and we would look the bad guys and be condemned.
PinkSmurf

Postby megaera » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:43 pm

PinkSmurf wrote:Some muslim women are as extreme as the men like the girls and women running to marry ISIS terrorists. They encourage the men to murder non muslims and recruit others. I don't know what the answer is. If we nuke em then civilians will be killed too and we would look the bad guys and be condemned.

TBF I don't think they need that much encouraging!
megaera

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Don't be ridiculous, it has always existed and always will because it is necessary for survival.

Postby McAz » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Poca wrote:

TJ!! :doomed:.... where is he anyway? :ooer:

Syria? :ooer:
McAz

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:05 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Lambert wrote:You are making the common mistake of assuming that the nature of our species is evolving to a point where we will no longer do bad things.

I'm hopeful. The younger generation seem to be better at getting along with different races, but us oldies could do better.

Speak for yourself

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms