Can't get my laptop to upload music CDs .

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

Re: Can't get my laptop to upload music CDs .

Postby guesty » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:53 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:
Guesty wrote:
I'll try that later so . :thumbsup:
Go raibh maith agat .

Mae govannen
Glassen
:more beer:

Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle :wave:
guesty

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Lissenen ar' maska'lalaith tenna' lye omentuva
:awesome:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Guesty » Wed May 13, 2015 12:16 am

Back again . :Hiya:

Ok, so I've loaded shedloads of music onto my laptop from CDs, and then put my favourites onto a wee phillips gogear I bought on ebay. Happy as a pig in poo with it all and had no probs figuring things out . :yess:
Now I want to pick up a little back-up music gadget and I've been looking at ipod shuffles on ebay. I just want something tiny to clip onto my clothing when doing housework or gardening (the gogear needs to go in a pocket, which isn't always available in ladies clothing), so the size & clip-on design of the shuffle suits my needs . My question is ........can I load my music from my laptop directly onto an ipod shuffle , or must you only use itunes ?

I googled about it , but I'm really no wiser :woteva: . Would I need to upload an app for example, as someone suggested ? I really don't want to start shitting around with apps tbh , so if that's the only option then it's back to the drawing board to seek out something less restrictive .

Any advice other than "PEBKAC" appreciated .
Guesty

Postby Korben Dallas » Wed May 13, 2015 8:30 am

yup any apple product wont let you load mp'3s from anywhere cept itunes
you can use jailbreak on some products but doubt itll work on a little player
theres tons of ordinary clipon mp'3 players for under a fiver
fuck apple
:cuppaT:
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... r&tbm=shop
Korben Dallas

Postby Guesty » Wed May 13, 2015 1:32 pm

Korben Dallas wrote:yup any apple product wont let you load mp'3s from anywhere cept itunes
you can use jailbreak on some products but doubt itll work on a little player
theres tons of ordinary clipon mp'3 players for under a fiver
fuck apple
:cuppaT:
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... r&tbm=shop

Yeah that's what I thought . I wish people would speak in plain English on those help sites for non-techie intruders like me ,lol.
I'm not bothered re Apple per se anyway Korben , I just liked the design and it suits my needs , but I'd prefer a half decent brand name rather than one of those super cheap ones, due to the fact that her next door bought two cheapies for her kids as stocking fillers at Christmas and one just didn't work while the other worked for about two hours . So that was a waste of money . The sd cards cost more than the players :ooer: , so def want to get a branded item .
I'll check out some branded ones on ebay auctions and dust off my snipe tool :thumbsup: .

Thank you very much for the polite helpful response Korben :wubbers:
Guesty

Postby Guesty » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Back again . :woteva:
This is not technology related per se, but I thought I'd keep all my help shit in one thread .

OK, so I bought a set of lights for a flower wall in my back garden . A little wall opposite my kitchen window that I wanted to dress up before the dark evenings set in .Something nice to look at while in the kitchen doing dishes etc .
These -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/JnDee-Quality-S ... iry+lights.
Set arrived and functioning well , BUT the excess wire (between the last bulb and the solar panel) is not very long . About 6ft .Now 6ft is ok now in the bright (allegedly) summer days, I can position the panel pretty well anywhere for a decent charge , but come autumn/winter when the light is less I want to move the solar panel further back in the garden , where there is a spot that gets the morning sun and catches some afternoon sun too .
So .....can I extend the wiring on the light set ? I know it might involve soldering but I think I can handle that. But I really have no clue what wire to use or how to go about it ,IF it is possible .

Does anyone know ? Plus , can you explain in very simple English ? :oops:
Guesty

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Guesty wrote:Back again . :woteva:
This is not technology related per se, but I thought I'd keep all my help shit in one thread .

OK, so I bought a set of lights for a flower wall in my back garden . A little wall opposite my kitchen window that I wanted to dress up before the dark evenings set in .Something nice to look at while in the kitchen doing dishes etc .
Set arrived and functioning well , BUT the excess wire (between the last bulb and the solar panel) is not very long . About 6ft .Now 6ft is ok now in the bright (allegedly) summer days, I can position the panel pretty well anywhere for a decent charge , but come autumn/winter when the light is less I want to move the solar panel further back in the garden , where there is a spot that gets the morning sun and catches some afternoon sun too .
So .....can I extend the wiring on the light set ? I know it might involve soldering but I think I can handle that. But I really have no clue what wire to use or how to go about it ,IF it is possible .

When I worked for VM we used a gel filled clamshell thing for outside connections, we called them jellies and the sticky non-conductive stuff inside kept them waterproof. Something like this perhaps?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weatherproof-Ex ... ical+joint
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guesty » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:15 pm

Stooo wrote:

When I worked for VM we used a gel filled clamshell thing for outside connections, we called them jellies and the sticky non-conductive stuff inside kept them waterproof. Something like this perhaps?

That looks like it is for more sturdy wiring stooo. The wiring on my lights is very thin .
I've used those (not that one exactly) joints for indoor electrics under the floors, so I know the basics of them (I think), but in all honestly I'd think that one a bit heavy handed for my wee flimsy job . I just looked at the dimensions and it looks huge ! Would be difficult to use on thin delicate wires . But thanks for the response anyway .
Guesty

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Guesty wrote:
Stooo wrote:

That looks like it is for more sturdy wiring stooo. The wiring on my lights is very thin .
I've used those (not that one exactly) joints for indoor electrics under the floors, so I know the basics of them (I think), but in all honestly I'd think that one a bit heavy handed for my wee flimsy job . I just looked at the dimensions and it looks huge ! Would be difficult to use on thin delicate wires . But thanks for the response anyway .

We used Scotch connectors for small paired telephone wires, these are gel filled and terminated with a pair of pliers. They are good for over 9 volts and are probably best acquired by knocking on the side of a VM, BT or Openreach van :wink:

These:

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M ... onnectors/
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guesty » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:58 pm

That looks a bit more feasible .
Begging off random strangers won't bother me , I have no shame when it comes to my projects , :canny: .
What about the wire though ? Actually I might ask the cable guys about it while I'm there eh ? Nothing ventured etc etc .
Fankoo :cuppaT: .
Guesty

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Guesty wrote:That looks a bit more feasible .
Begging off random strangers won't bother me , I have no shame when it comes to my projects , :canny: .
What about the wire though ? Actually I might ask the cable guys about it while I'm there eh ? Nothing ventured etc etc .
Fankoo :cuppaT: .

Down to you and them really, I can't be seen to condone black market activity. I've got a box of the things kicking around somewhere and a full reel of twisted pair wire that I use as a pen holder.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guesty » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:06 am

Ho-hum , back again .
First things first .If anyone cares , short follow up -> A bloke in the boozer gave hubby a great length of red/black wire for extending my lights.Then I spotted a BT guy working at a green box , so I batted my eyelashes (among other things) and blagged me a handful of gel crimps . Only needed 4 but never look a gift horse in the mouth etc . Will get that job done some time this week .
Annnnyway , next thing ,
When I play a DVD on my laptop it freezes after about half an hour . If I remove the disc and cool the little tray I can put the disc back in and watch the next 10/12 mins, then it freezes again and I need to cool it off again .....rinse and repeat .
So of course the thing is over heating , the little part I've highlighted in red in this pic below gets SUPER hot. But the whole bottom of the laptop gets hot too , YET it (laptop) never does at other times, even after being on most of the day (so I don't think it's the fan) . Just when I play a DVD .
http://imgur.com/TLGWOss

How do I get round this ?
Do I replace that little bit I highlighted in the picture ?(I'm up for it)
Will that stop the rest of the laptop getting hot underneath ?

or

Do I buy a little external thingummy for DVDs watching .
Any help welcome .
-------------------------

Yes, I know I should have some sort of movie watching site , but I haven't and I've not got a clue which ones are free and safe .
Anyway I have a stash of DVDs to watch .
Any help welcome .
Guesty

Postby daveraveyspoon » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:20 am

This is where I prefer a tablet. None of that nonsense associated with a laptop. Don't know what I'd do without mine.
daveraveyspoon

Postby Stooo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Guesty wrote:Ho-hum , back again .
First things first .If anyone cares , short follow up -> A bloke in the boozer gave hubby a great length of red/black wire for extending my lights.Then I spotted a BT guy working at a green box , so I batted my eyelashes (among other things) and blagged me a handful of gel crimps . Only needed 4 but never look a gift horse in the mouth etc . Will get that job done some time this week .
Annnnyway , next thing ,
When I play a DVD on my laptop it freezes after about half an hour . If I remove the disc and cool the little tray I can put the disc back in and watch the next 10/12 mins, then it freezes again and I need to cool it off again .....rinse and repeat .
So of course the thing is over heating , the little part I've highlighted in red in this pic below gets SUPER hot. But the whole bottom of the laptop gets hot too , YET it (laptop) never does at other times, even after being on most of the day (so I don't think it's the fan) . Just when I play a DVD .
http://imgur.com/TLGWOss

How do I get round this ?
Do I replace that little bit I highlighted in the picture ?(I'm up for it)
Will that stop the rest of the laptop getting hot underneath ?

or

Do I buy a little external thingummy for DVDs watching .
Any help welcome .
-------------------------

Yes, I know I should have some sort of movie watching site , but I haven't and I've not got a clue which ones are free and safe .
Anyway I have a stash of DVDs to watch .
Any help welcome .

The little red thing is the mounting for the laser that reads the disk, it's supposed to get hot but it wouldn't generate enough heat to shut off the process. It sounds like general overheating which can usually be cured by hoovering the vents and the underside of the machine obviously when it's switched off. If that doesn't work then download Speccy (the free version) from here: https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download and you will be able to check the temps of various components in your PC. If it turns out that your CD player is shagged out then external drives that plug in to your USB sockets are pretty cheap from places like Staples and PC World.
Stooo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Science And Technology