Postby rollup » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
LordRaven wrote:Isaac Asimov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov
Wikipedia
Asimov was prolific and wrote or edited more than 500 books and an ..... Ellison wrote a screenplay of I, Robot that Asimov hoped would lead to "the first really adult, ... Also, one of Asimov's robot short stories, "The Bicentennial Man", was ..... who has one of his books (The Gods Themselves) adapted into a "compu-drama", ...
‎Foundation series - ‎Robot series - ‎Three Laws of Robotics - ‎Nightfall

I know him Raven, I prefered Ray Bradbury as a teen.

Love Ray Bradbury - his writing is so poetic. Loved his subversive digs at racism too,

I have my older sis to thank for introducing him to me as a young teen, his stories blew my mind!

Beautiful writer - read him as a teen too - and later in life. In fact, I may have another read of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (the one I'm least familiar with) before I die.

Best make a start on it now .... ISIS are coming.
rollup

Re: So, do YOU believe?

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:01 pm

rollup wrote:
Aziz wrote:Beautiful writer - read him as a teen too - and later in life. In fact, I may have another read of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (the one I'm least familiar with) before I die.

Best make a start on it now .... ISIS are coming.

Bugger! :gigglesnshit:
McAz

Postby Random » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Aziz wrote:
Random wrote:When I was young it used to be you start with a theory, you state the methods and controls used in an experiment, look at the results to come to a conclusion.

One of the controls could be time but another could be temperature for instance.

So unsure how that has come to be the new definition of theory.

Maybe the clue is in time as in timeline?

Facts are facts in general whether over time or not. But all facts are no longer facts in timelines.

Not a new definition, it has always been so - well at least since Newton and the Scientific Method. :smilin:

"Science uses specialized terms that have different meanings than everyday usage. These definitions correspond to the way scientists typically use these terms in the context of their work. Note, especially, that the meaning of “theory” in science is different than the meaning of “theory” in everyday conversation."

http://ncse.com/evolution/education/definitions-fact-theory-law-scientific-work

Oh. So every time is see the word theory in science, it's a fact.

So what theories have we got then?

What about when scientists say conspiracy theorists I presume they are calling them conspiracy facts?
Random

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:23 pm

Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Random wrote:When I was young it used to be you start with a theory, you state the methods and controls used in an experiment, look at the results to come to a conclusion.

One of the controls could be time but another could be temperature for instance.

So unsure how that has come to be the new definition of theory.

Maybe the clue is in time as in timeline?

Facts are facts in general whether over time or not. But all facts are no longer facts in timelines.

Not a new definition, it has always been so - well at least since Newton and the Scientific Method. :smilin:

"Science uses specialized terms that have different meanings than everyday usage. These definitions correspond to the way scientists typically use these terms in the context of their work. Note, especially, that the meaning of “theory” in science is different than the meaning of “theory” in everyday conversation."

(RationalWiki)

http://ncse.com/evolution/education/definitions-fact-theory-law-scientific-work

Oh. So every time is see the word theory in science, it's a fact.

So what theories have we got then?

What about when scientists say conspiracy theorists I presume they are calling them conspiracy facts?

No, because that would not be a scientific theory:

While in everyday speech anything that attempts to provide an explanation for a cause can be dubbed a "theory", a scientific theory has a much more specific meaning. Scientific theory is far more than just a casual conjecture or some Joe's guesswork. A theory in this context is a well-substantiated explanation for a series of FACTS and OBSERVATIONS that is testable and can be used to predict future observations.

(RationalWiki)
McAz

Postby Random » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:25 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
What nationality was the prophet Asimov?

Isaac Asimov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov
Wikipedia
Asimov was prolific and wrote or edited more than 500 books and an ..... Ellison wrote a screenplay of I, Robot that Asimov hoped would lead to "the first really adult, ... Also, one of Asimov's robot short stories, "The Bicentennial Man", was ..... who has one of his books (The Gods Themselves) adapted into a "compu-drama", ...
‎Foundation series - ‎Robot series - ‎Three Laws of Robotics - ‎Nightfall

I know him Raven, I prefered Ray Bradbury as a teen.

Never heard of him but after reading some of his quotes I can see I've missed out.
Random

Postby Random » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 am

But it would if a scientist said it Aziz.
Random

Postby McAz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:08 am

Random wrote:But it would if a scientist said it Aziz.

No - the act of a scientist simply saying it does not make it so - the facts and and observations in question must be testable in accordance with the scientific method.

McAz

Postby Random » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:35 am

Aziz wrote:

No - the act of a scientist simply saying it does not make it so - the facts and and observations in question must be testable in accordance with the scientific method.

If a scientist language uses the term theory in place of the word fact then when he also speaks and uses the term theory again to describe a group such as conspiracy theorist he has used the same thought patterns and observations to arrive at his conclusion. And if he says he hadn't he's a fookin liar

Have not got time to debate this right now.

Have a good day :smilin:
Random

Postby McAz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:43 am

Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

If a scientist language uses the term theory in place of the word fact then when he also speaks and uses the term theory again to describe a group such as conspiracy theorist he has used the same thought patterns and observations to arrive at his conclusion. And if he says he hadn't he's a fookin liar

There is nothing to debate, scientific theory is defined by scientists in the manner I have repeatedly posted on this thread - if you wish to reject their definition then that's your right.

You have a good day too. :thumbsup:
McAz

Postby Random » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Aziz wrote:
Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

There is nothing to debate, scientific theory is defined by scientists in the manner I have repeatedly posted on this thread - if you wish to reject their definition then that's your right.

Yes it's a bit boring I'd rather look at the works of rad Bradbury which is the best bit of this thread.
Random

Postby McAz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Random wrote:
Yes it's a bit boring I'd rather look at the works of rad Bradbury which is the best bit of this thread.

Wise. :thumbsup:
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Aziz wrote:
Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

You really are knob and I think the image depicts it very well.
You can't seem to grasp theory will always be theory until proven when it becomes fact or disproven when it becomes bullshit--and then it's back to the drawing board as per your image you simpleton.
By your measure Isaac Newton and his clockwork universe is still 100% correct - when the simple truth is he was disproved by Einstein.
But you carry on laughing at your own gross incompetence and inability to grasp a simple truth you absolute fuckwit! :thumbsup:
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:52 pm

"Theory is just that, it NOT FACT but a THEORY"
LORD RAVEN, Forum Braggart and Clueless Halfwit

"Oh no it's NOT!"
JAIME TANNER, Professor of Biology at Marlboro College.
NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, Esteemed society of distinguished scholars
OREGAN STATE UNIVERSITY
THE NATIONAL CENTER OF SCIENCE EDUCATION - Esteemed Institute for Education
RationalWiki

:pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Charlie Sheen is on TV in The Arrival, the only alien sci fi film i can recall him doing? I will be only too happy to be corrected on that?
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:56 pm

McAz

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms