Wood burners

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Wood burners

Postby Autumn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 pm

We love our open fire. We have a friend that owns an enormous piece of land and we have logs from him, plus logs from my dad. Some burn better than others.

We haven't 'properly' weathered ours at all, they're just stacked at the back on pallets. We brings piles in every other day and store then in the cupboard under the stairs to dry out a little, sometimes not at all by the time they are needed. We use a good selection: twigs to start it off followed by some smaller logs/larger twigs. Only once its really going do we put the larger logs on, or the damp ones.

I wouldn't worry about burning painted wood so long as your chimney is clean, free and clear. I would think twice about something other than general emulsion though!

I'm interested in having a log burner but I'm reluctant to use it in place of the open fire. It's difficult to move the dog from in front of the fire in the winter, we have to stack logs around him, and I don't know that he would be happy if we replaced it :mrgreen:

Someone I once knew had a wood burner installed and she loved it, she collected drift from the beach and used that.

:fire:
Autumn

Postby Bella » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Autumn wrote:We love our open fire. We have a friend that owns an enormous piece of land and we have logs from him, plus logs from my dad. Some burn better than others.

We haven't 'properly' weathered ours at all, they're just stacked at the back on pallets. We brings piles in every other day and store then in the cupboard under the stairs to dry out a little, sometimes not at all by the time they are needed. We use a good selection: twigs to start it off followed by some smaller logs/larger twigs. Only once its really going do we put the larger logs on, or the damp ones.

I wouldn't worry about burning painted wood so long as your chimney is clean, free and clear. I would think twice about something other than general emulsion though!

I'm interested in having a log burner but I'm reluctant to use it in place of the open fire. It's difficult to move the dog from in front of the fire in the winter, we have to stack logs around him, and I don't know that he would be happy if we replaced it :mrgreen:

Someone I once knew had a wood burner installed and she loved it, she collected drift from the beach and used that.

:fire:

My cat is stretched out now in front of mine.

You sound well organised,Autumn,I must get my log collection more organised.

Major,I've made Soup on it ,the top gets really hot when I have decent logs,I'll make the toast tomorrow :fire:
Bella

Postby Rollup. » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:23 am

To get even more heat from wood stcick a metal plate over the open coal basket.
If you try burning coal on the plate it won't work but with wood ...you don't want the ash to fall away ...the wood ash is seriously hot and keeps the logs burning.
I'm snowed in completey/.
Aint going anywhere.
If I set fire to my house /... no firebrigade in the world could get here ...no police no doctors or ambulances ...
I'm expecting no electricitiy before long too.
My house is well stocked so I'm fine.
Stay warm everyone ...and stay safe.
Rollup.

Postby Bella » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 am

We're snowed in too,Rollup,Schools are shut,ambulances only for life threatening situations and no grit left for the roads.

I'll be chopping up the floorboards before long for firewood at this rate :pmsl:
Bella

Postby Rollup. » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:42 am

Bella wrote:We're snowed in too,Rollup,Schools are shut,ambulances only for life threatening situations and no grit left for the roads.

I'll be chopping up the floorboards before long for firewood at this rate :pmsl:

It's crossed my mind ...throw another door on :Hiya:
Rollup.

Postby Lola » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Im seriously thinking of chopping a table and chairs up here lol :pmsl: :yess:
Lola

Postby Bella » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:05 pm

lola wrote:Im seriously thinking of chopping a table and chairs up here lol :pmsl: :yess:

I used to know some Ghanaian lads in London a long time ago,they lived in a derelict house with not much else but a piano and all their musical instruments,they were musicians.They had no heating or electric so they resorted to burning the bannisters to keep warm :kinell: :laughing: Water and food was heated on a calor gas camping stove,was fun visiting but a hard life for them surviving in the cold.
Bella

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug