If you love food read this...

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

If you love food read this...

Postby common sense » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:29 pm

If you love food but were a child of the 60’s you should remember most of this;
* Pasta had not been invented. * "Kebab" was not even a word, never mind a food. * Curry was an unknown entity. Indian restaurants were only found in India. * The only vegetables were spuds, peas, carrots, turnip, cauliflower and cabbage. Mange tout and Pak choi were made up words. Chilli was in South America and scotch bonnets were worn by old ladies in Aberdeen.* A take-away was a mathematical problem. * A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.* Oil was for lubricating your bike chain not for cooking.* Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet.*Spice went in Christmas cakes (and so did peel, Yuk).* Herbs were used to make medicine I think.* All crisps were plain.* All soft drinks were called pop. * Coke was something that we put on the fire, we never drunk it and we certainly didn’t sniff it. * Ginger beer burnt your lips off, when you stopped drinking. * Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner. * A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining. * A microwave was science fiction * Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves. The tea-cosy was the forerunner of all energy saving devices. Tea had only one flavour, it was tea flavoured * Figs and dates appeared every Christmas, but no one ever ate them. * Coconuts only appeared when the fair came to town. * Mayonnaise was called Salad cream* Hors d'oeuvre was a spelling mistake. * Dinner consisted of what we were given, and not negotiable. * Only Heinz made baked beans.* Leftovers went in the dog. * Sauce was either brown or red. * Eating raw fish was called madness, not sushi. * The only ready meals came from the fish and chip shop. * Frozen food was called ice cream. * Nothing ever went off in the fridge because we never had one. * None of us had ever heard of yoghurt. * Brunch was not a meal. * Cheese only ever came in a hard lump.
* If we had eaten bacon, lettuce and tomato in the same sandwich we would have been certified insane. * Eating outside was called a picnic not Al Fresco. * Seaweed was not a recognised food. * Eggs were not called ‘free range’ they just were, and the shells were white. * Pancakes were only eaten on Pancake Tuesday - it was compulsory. * The phrase "boil in the bag" would have been beyond our realms of comprehension. * The term "oven chips" would not have made any sense at all. * We bought milk and cream at the same time, in the same bottle, before you gave it a shake.* Prunes were purely medicinal. * Pineapples only came in chunks in a tin.* We didn't eat Croissants because we couldn't pronounce them, we couldn't spell them, and we didn't know what they were. * for Baguettes (see Croissants). * Garlic was used to ward off vampires in films, but never to be eaten. * Water came out of the tap; if someone had suggested bottling it and charging for it
they would have been locked up.
common sense

Re: If you love food read this...

Postby Stooo » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Yeah, it was shit. Your point?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:00 pm

Grim.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:43 pm

The swinging 60's wasn't all that swinging was it.
Every city still had horse and cart people delivering milk and bread and coal and collecting rags and scrap metal.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Major » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:34 pm

The early 60s was fab especially music/song.

Plenty of work if you WANTED IT.

Engineering/car factories in Coventry were thriving, new roads being built, tipper lorries everywhere

I believe where you lived had a lot to do with your position in life..
Major
Twat.

Postby common sense » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:The swinging 60's wasn't all that swinging was it.
Every city still had horse and cart people delivering milk and bread and coal and collecting rags and scrap metal.

I remember coming home from school and they'd delivered a new ton of coal and had to help my dad shovel it in to the coal cellar. Grim.
common sense

Postby Stooo » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:43 pm

You can get milkman services including bread delivery from https://www.milkandmore.co.uk/ and I've seen rag and bone men out and about in Bridgy albeit with Transit pickups instead of a pony and trap. They use a bullhorn instead of a bell nowadays :bell: REEEAG AN BOWNE!

Nothing left in the street for the roses sadly :shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:04 pm

Stooo wrote:

You can get milkman services including bread delivery from https://www.milkandmore.co.uk/ and I've seen rag and bone men out and about in Bridgy albeit with Transit pickups instead of a pony and trap. They use a bullhorn instead of a bell nowadays :bell: REEEAG AN BOWNE!

Nothing left in the street for the roses sadly :shake head:

I used to be so embarressed when my dad stuck a shovel in my hand and a bucket and pointed at it :oops:
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:07 pm

Chris you're not really the person to be writing about food.
You're forever telling us about food like products you eat but hardly ever food.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby common sense » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:07 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Chris you're not really the person to be writing about food.
You're forever telling us about food like products you eat but hardly ever food.

I do eat some junk food, yes, but proper food too. I love fish and seafood. Have a variety. Loving tinned curries now. Always thought they'd be rubbish but the Tesco and Asda ones are fine. The Asda chicken Vindaloo is too hot though so not buying that again.
common sense

Postby xtras1 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:08 am

common sense wrote:If you love food but were a child of the 60’s you should remember most of this;
* Pasta had not been invented. * "Kebab" was not even a word, never mind a food. * Curry was an unknown entity. Indian restaurants were only found in India. * The only vegetables were spuds, peas, carrots, turnip, cauliflower and cabbage. Mange tout and Pak choi were made up words. Chilli was in South America and scotch bonnets were worn by old ladies in Aberdeen.* A take-away was a mathematical problem. * A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.* Oil was for lubricating your bike chain not for cooking.* Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet.*Spice went in Christmas cakes (and so did peel, Yuk).* Herbs were used to make medicine I think.* All crisps were plain.* All soft drinks were called pop. * Coke was something that we put on the fire, we never drunk it and we certainly didn’t sniff it. * Ginger beer burnt your lips off, when you stopped drinking. * Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner. * A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining. * A microwave was science fiction * Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves. The tea-cosy was the forerunner of all energy saving devices. Tea had only one flavour, it was tea flavoured * Figs and dates appeared every Christmas, but no one ever ate them. * Coconuts only appeared when the fair came to town. * Mayonnaise was called Salad cream* Hors d'oeuvre was a spelling mistake. * Dinner consisted of what we were given, and not negotiable. * Only Heinz made baked beans.* Leftovers went in the dog. * Sauce was either brown or red. * Eating raw fish was called madness, not sushi. * The only ready meals came from the fish and chip shop. * Frozen food was called ice cream. * Nothing ever went off in the fridge because we never had one. * None of us had ever heard of yoghurt. * Brunch was not a meal. * Cheese only ever came in a hard lump.
* If we had eaten bacon, lettuce and tomato in the same sandwich we would have been certified insane. * Eating outside was called a picnic not Al Fresco. * Seaweed was not a recognised food. * Eggs were not called ‘free range’ they just were, and the shells were white. * Pancakes were only eaten on Pancake Tuesday - it was compulsory. * The phrase "boil in the bag" would have been beyond our realms of comprehension. * The term "oven chips" would not have made any sense at all. * We bought milk and cream at the same time, in the same bottle, before you gave it a shake.* Prunes were purely medicinal. * Pineapples only came in chunks in a tin.* We didn't eat Croissants because we couldn't pronounce them, we couldn't spell them, and we didn't know what they were. * for Baguettes (see Croissants). * Garlic was used to ward off vampires in films, but never to be eaten. * Water came out of the tap; if someone had suggested bottling it and charging for it
they would have been locked up.

thank goodness times have changed.....wonder what part of England this was taken from :gigglesnshit:
xtras1

Postby xtras1 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:09 am

common sense wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Chris you're not really the person to be writing about food.

I do eat some junk food, yes, but proper food too. I love fish and seafood. Have a variety. Loving tinned curries now. Always thought they'd be rubbish but the Tesco and Asda ones are fine. The Asda chicken Vindaloo is too hot though so not buying that again.

tinned curry :yikes:
is that from the 60's menu :again?:
xtras1

Postby common sense » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:11 am

xtras1 wrote:
common sense wrote:

No and it's nice. Plenty of chicken or beef. Don't seem to do lamb though. For £1.50 for a 400g tin it's just fine for me with some rice we cook every day anyway. Have it 2 or 3 times a week now.
common sense

Postby xtras1 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:19 am

common sense wrote:
xtras1 wrote:
common sense wrote:

No and it's nice. Plenty of chicken or beef. Don't seem to do lamb though. For £1.50 for a 400g tin it's just fine for me with some rice we cook every day anyway. Have it 2 or 3 times a week now.

you don't know what you are eating..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... l#comments

It's a beef Madr-Ass
customer feared he'd found an ANUS in his favourite £1.50 tinned curry
•Tesco customer Andrew Lee thought he had found an anus in his beef curry
•The support worker from Swansea bought the £1.50 tinned meal for his dinner
•He said he looked like a 'cat's anus' and complained to the supermarket
•But after investigation Tesco said it was in fact a large blood vessel

:pukeup:
xtras1

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:01 am

He does have some real food... curried blood vessels.
I couldn't handle his version of reality I'm afraid.
Rolluplostinspace

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug