Making alcohol at home.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Making alcohol at home.

Postby ArchieG » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Whiskey is a high skill drink to make. I've tried a few moonshine versions, petrol tastes better. For anyone thinking of home distilling, by far the easiest drinkable ones to make are fruit vodkas. I suppose you could try making Calvados, as that's disgusting anyway, nobody would know the difference.
ArchieG

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:50 pm

ArchieG wrote:Whiskey is a high skill drink to make. I've tried a few moonshine versions, petrol tastes better. For anyone thinking of home distilling, by far the easiest drinkable ones to make are fruit vodkas. I suppose you could try making Calvados, as that's disgusting anyway, nobody would know the difference.

No I won't be tackling whiskey but vodka is a strong possibility.
Just about to order some turbo yeast.
I'm expecting booze shortages in the country so will be doing a lot of fast wine from grape and other juices.
It's not high class wine but I had a taste of some in the summer a white a red a pomegranate and blackcurrant and they were surprisingly pleasant and around 18%.
These fast juice wines take about six weeks but there are people making them in three weeks!
Anyone want to try do a Youtube search lots of good tips on there.
Cheap strong refreshing fruity wine while snowed or iced in this winter will be better than none and like I say it can be quite tasty.
For those of you .... probably all of you who drink six quid bottles three for a tenner etc from the supers you'll hardly notice the difference.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby ArchieG » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:29 pm

The six quid bottle thing.... I assure you I can tell the difference, or I'd make wine from kits too. Not to say that you can't make something drinkable from a kit, with some care and experience.
ArchieG

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:58 pm

ArchieG wrote:The six quid bottle thing.... I assure you I can tell the difference, or I'd make wine from kits too. Not to say that you can't make something drinkable from a kit, with some care and experience.

Some of the Youtube vids are interesting .... no kits and no equipment either!
Bottle of 100% grape juice pour a third of it out of the bottle .... bung a cup full of sugar in shake until dissolved add yeast place cap loosely on top held in place with a little tape.
Once it stops bubbling syphon off leaving the gunk.
I have to try that just out of curiosity!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Gabby » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
ArchieG wrote:The six quid bottle thing.... I assure you I can tell the difference, or I'd make wine from kits too. Not to say that you can't make something drinkable from a kit, with some care and experience.

Bottle of 100% grape juice pour a third of it out of the bottle .... bung a cup full of sugar in shake until dissolved add yeast place cap loosely on top held in place with a little tape.

Hmmmm, that simple huh?... :leer:
Gabby

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:11 pm

Gabby wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Hmmmm, that simple huh?... :leer:

It really is that simple and like I said what I tasted in the summer was a perfectly acceptable drink.
Take a look at this and note the lack of equipment >>>> >>>
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Jobless Oddball » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:36 pm

I've heard sloe gin is a piece of piss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jobless Oddball

Postby Twohoots » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:46 pm

When I was a kid we lived in the first house in our road. We would often get people knocking on the door at night asking where “the wine merchant” lived. It took my Dad quite a while to find out who the illegal home brewer was.
Twohoots

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug