Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Sunday School

Postby drum » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Who went ?
Do you still remember all your songs ?
Your lessons?

I randomly find myself singing songs from that time.

That got me thinking about how we're changing as a society.
My siblings and I always went, we even went to a Happy Hour midweek. We loved it, i'm sure Mum loved the peace more. :mrgreen:
My own kids went, I still have all their bibles and Bible story books they collected along the way.

We used to play a bible game where the teacher would shout out a verse and first to find and read it out got a sweetie

One of my favourite ever songs from Sunday School is Rose of Sharon
drum

Re: Sunday School

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:49 pm

Give me joy in my heart, keep me smiling!

The smell of wet knickers and oranges :pukeup: stick on pictures of Jesus and bunged at the back of the Church for the last ten minutes :roll:

A friend of mine decided to dispense with Sunday school and have the kids in for the whole service, it was more inclusive but it shifted the older people to the shorter 7AM event and left them with a huge gap in their day.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby drum » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:01 pm

Aye it was always dank and damp in ours too.. Wet knickers ewwww never thought about it like that :pmsl:
We had trips out and all sorts, that's, some rickety old bus and a trip to the transport Museum (every year)
That was when church was till very much a part of our communities, not so much these days, and even less now in Covid times.

I remember one of the leaders did a science trick in telling us how Jesus keeps us pure. It was a glass of dark stuff and a glass of clear, he poured the dark into the clear and it went even clearer :yikes: we believed

another song:
Father Abraham had many sons (many sons) Many sons had Father Abraham, I am one of them and so are you (so are you) so lets all praise the Lord Clap Hand's.. and so it would go on until our whole bodies were jiggling, right up to to a big crescendo CLAP HANDS SIT DOWN... and we would.
drum

Postby kaz » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:24 pm

I used to go. We joined the main service for about half an hour and at the end of the prayer all the boys used to say all men and no women instead of amen. This must be about 50 years ago now (I feel ancient).

I remember Jesus wants me for a sunbeam but that's about it. There was also the sunday school trip, I don't remember exactly where we went but I think Blair Drummond Safari Park was one of them.
kaz

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Ah fuck, I've got an earworm now :again?:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby drum » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:02 pm

Stooo wrote:Ah fuck, I've got an earworm now :again?:

"Oh wonderful world, his love is" :mrgreen:

aww, love those songs, we were all wee innocents.
drum

Postby drum » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:03 pm

kaz wrote:I used to go. We joined the main service for about half an hour and at the end of the prayer all the boys used to say all men and no women instead of amen. This must be about 50 years ago now (I feel ancient).

I remember Jesus wants me for a sunbeam but that's about it. There was also the sunday school trip, I don't remember exactly where we went but I think Blair Drummond Safari Park was one of them.

I'm not that far behind you kaz :mrgreen: I think one of our trips was Millport, another dusty hall really because it was always raining.. but good times. Kids do nothing like that anymore.
drum

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:23 pm

drum wrote:
kaz wrote:I used to go. We joined the main service for about half an hour and at the end of the prayer all the boys used to say all men and no women instead of amen. This must be about 50 years ago now (I feel ancient).

I'm not that far behind you kaz :mrgreen: I think one of our trips was Millport, another dusty hall really because it was always raining.. but good times. Kids do nothing like that anymore.

It was a Sunday morning shag excuse for your Ma and Da, when were they ever in the congregation? No CBeebies back then :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby common sense » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:31 pm

Stooo wrote:Give me joy in my heart, keep me smiling!

The smell of wet knickers and oranges :pukeup: stick on pictures of Jesus and bunged at the back of the Church for the last ten minutes :roll:

A friend of mine decided to dispense with Sunday school and have the kids in for the whole service, it was more inclusive but it shifted the older people to the shorter 7AM event and left them with a huge gap in their day.

Wet knickers? Tell me more. :dunno:
common sense

Postby Gabby » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:01 pm

Stooo wrote:
drum wrote:

It was a Sunday morning shag excuse for your Ma and Da, when were they ever in the congregation? No CBeebies back then :mrgreen:

True, your fairy tales came from the Bible!
Gabby

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug