General train talk.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: General train talk.

Postby Major » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 am

Beechong line closures may be re opened, I remember them closing to much uproar but it soon died down.
A lot of short journeys were cut

Would you prefer some to come back

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51272817
Major
Twat.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Great idea.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Major » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:11 am

My old man employed about 20 men from Nuneaton area, they all cam by train which was quick and economical for them ,when they alighted said train they had a five minute walk into work, perfect.
There was a major factory opposite us and they employed 1500 personnel some also used the same trains. when Beeching wielded his axe they car shared and it took longer and traffic jams with the extra drivers on the roads.
Tiz going back a bit.
Major
Twat.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:23 am

I don't know much about trains but be great if they could do some short local lines that actually went to where the superstores are and back to ..... ?
I'm sure all lines don't have to be connected up to the main network.
This is one of North Wales heritage lines ad there are a few of them.
This one is about ten miles long from Llangollen to Corwen and had a huge train yard full of steamers and diesels.
The locals get special concessionary tickets and they use the train to go shopping and visiting and the docs etc.
These lines are not connected to the main network but carry a lot of stock and run pretty well.
Attachments
berwyn-station-llangollen-railway-1024x684.jpg
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Major » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:42 am

I recall so much of a happy childhood Rolly so I often mention it.

The house I was born into was by a park and steam trains ran over one entrance bridge and stinking smoke would collect under bridge and us littlunz were told by the older lz to put your ear to the wall and make a wish, we all did it.

The older ladz would put pennies on the lines to get squashed.

One of the older lads who eventually played Rugby Football for England shot his catapult towards a moving train, what a twack, did not hit it , his always drunk stepfather found out, beat him severely and had him put away.
Some of the older lads who were just going into the army or were already in it beat his steppy up severely and he left the area so I was told.
Got a good memory for yesteryear but not so good short one..
Major
Twat.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:49 am

When I was about ten I had to go into Manchester city centre for some reason with my mum ... didn't often go there and we're going by train .... excited!
Got on the train and something wasn't right .... then instead of a whistle I hear ding ding and the train starts to move .... no smoke no huffing and puffing engine no smell what's going on?
I stuck my head out the window and I'm on .... an electric train!!!!
Never been on one before and talk about let down.
Might as well have got the bus I remember saying to my mum.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:54 am

Imagine being a kid in Victorian times .... never seen a train but you've heard stories.
The fire and smoke and steam and a hundred mph!!!!
How do you visualize that in a kids imagination in a world of horses and carriages?
Then you're told the trains are coming to your town!
In fact the work has started and the lines are being laid the bridges and tunnels being built!
Miles and miles of almost straight lines and the steel and stone and timber are in place and the day arrives ..... wow what a buzz what an experience!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Major » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Some of my schoolmates used to go to Nettle Hill on their bikes train spotting, I never did, always working with my old man
Major
Twat.

Postby jra » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Major wrote:These proposed HS2 train/track system will never pay for itself unless someone fiddles the figures. :flog:
However it does look as it will happen, I hope not.
Just think of the hospitals which could be built with a £100 BILLION PLUS
I fear the speed they say the HS2 train will go will not happen in reality

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51255438

The NHS and education are mostly subsidized by the government. Railways are partly subsidized (public funding) and partly paid for by rail fares.

I'm not sure what the BBC is going on about, because parts of HS2 are already being built and again it's not so much about absolute top speeds, but relieving congestion and increasing capacity.

One has to look at HS2 as part of a bigger overall project, not as a self-contained system since HS2 trains will run on conventional rail lines in a number of places.

Have a look at the official website http://www.hs2.org.uk .

Even trains going at 125 mph (top speed on the WCML) will save time going at the same speed on HS2 particularly to further destinations because of technology enhancements.

A current example.

https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-cent ... ble-change
jra

Postby jra » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:When I was about ten I had to go into Manchester city centre for some reason with my mum ... didn't often go there and we're going by train .... excited!
Got on the train and something wasn't right .... then instead of a whistle I hear ding ding and the train starts to move .... no smoke no huffing and puffing engine no smell what's going on?

Steam locomotives are only really suitable for heritage (railway/trips) and nostalgia these days, as they are very maintenance-intensive. They are not suitable really for modern everyday travel people expect, which includes the hauled carriages having air-conditioning, audio and visible information, meeting modern disability and emission standards, free wifi etc.

And you should never stick your head out of a train window when it is moving as there is a risk of serious injury or even death (decapitation). That's another reason modern trains have no external opening windows with the added benefit that litter/debris can't be thrown out.

You should be able to check wither a line is electrified by looking out of a window at either the OLE or frequent catenary posts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_line

It's also a requirement that all trains are fitted with toilet retention tasks so bodily waste can't be left on the tracks.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:12 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:When I was about ten I had to go into Manchester city centre for some reason with my mum ... didn't often go there and we're going by train .... excited!

Steam locomotives are only really suitable for heritage (railway/trips) and nostalgia these days, as they are very maintenance-intensive. They are not suitable really for modern everyday travel people expect, which includes the hauled carriages having air-conditioning, audio and visible information, meeting modern disability and emission standards, free wifi etc.

And you should never stick your head out of a train window when it is moving as there is a risk of serious injury or even death (decapitation). That's another reason modern trains have no external opening windows with the added benefit that litter/debris can't be thrown out.

You should be able to check wither a line is electrified by looking out of a window at either the OLE or frequent catenary posts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_line

It's also a requirement that all trains are fitted with toilet retention tasks so bodily waste can't be left on the tracks.

WTF?
I heard that over the tannoy.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby calitom » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:38 pm

I think Basil Rathbone when I think of the old trains...or the trains out west from the 1800s.
calitom

Postby Major » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:37 am

The Chiltern line from this area to Marylebone is a pleasant ride and cheap off peak.
We did it a lot at one time but ALAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Major
Twat.

Postby Major » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:46 am

Here we go Rolly, hold on to your hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moh2l7udjio
Major
Twat.

Postby jra » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:49 pm

Major wrote:Here we go Rolly, hold on to your hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moh2l7udjio

Some of those silent movies are brilliant but unfortunately as you know most of these things happen occasionally on western European railways. Passenger fatalities on UK railway/per year are (very) low bearing in mind the number of trains services which run/year. Most people that die on the railways are public fatalities e.g. suicides, crossing the track in unauthorized locations, people drunk/high on drugs.

https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/media/145 ... 018-19.pdf
jra

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug