Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby malamute » Thu May 31, 2018 6:10 pm

Claire wrote:
malamute wrote:My friend has loaned me “Eleanor Oliphant” by Gail Honeyman so I plan to start that soon.

Halfway through Never Saw It Coming by Linwood Barclay.

You'll love Eleanor!

I hope so.
malamute

Postby measurer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Loved this book - Wild Swans - ‎Jung Chang

A real life story and fantastic read.
measurer

Postby Dimples » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 pm

measurer wrote:Loved this book - Wild Swans - ‎Jung Chang

I read that many years ago. I think I recall that I liked it to begin with, but as the book progressed, I enjoyed it less and less. I think I may even have abandoned it before reaching the end... which I very rarely do. :shame:
Dimples

Postby MG2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:44 pm

measurer wrote:Loved this book - Wild Swans - ‎Jung Chang

I read that a few years back and loved it. Very harrowing at times but also very moving.
MG2

Postby Dimples » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:13 pm

I'm now reading Eleanor Oliphant.

So far so good. :thumbsup:
Dimples

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:11 pm

I took Eleanor Oliphant on holiday with me. I really enjoyed it.
Also read The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter.
Six Years -Harlan Coben
Perfect Death - Helen Fields

And my MIL gave me Dean Koontz’s Sole Survivor for the plane there (I’d packed all mine like a pillock). Nice of her :ooer:

Recommend them all btw. Standard crime thrillers (the Helen Fields on is part of a series that started a couple of books ago, so I think I’ll follow it)
NastyNickers

Postby Dimples » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:23 pm

NastyNickers wrote:I took Eleanor Oliphant on holiday with me. I really enjoyed it.
Six Years -Harlan Coben

And my MIL gave me Dean Koontz’s Sole Survivor for the plane there (I’d packed all mine like a pillock). Nice of her :ooer:

Recommend them all btw. Standard crime thrillers (the Helen Fields on is part of a series that started a couple of books ago, so I think I’ll follow it)

Crikey! That must have been half of your baggage allowance! :ooer:

I always use my Kindle for travelling, as I used to take about 5 or 6 books too. I love my Kindle! :wubbers:
Dimples

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Dimples wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:I took Eleanor Oliphant on holiday with me. I really enjoyed it.
Six Years -Harlan Coben

Crikey! That must have been half of your baggage allowance! :ooer:

I always use my Kindle for travelling, as I used to take about 5 or 6 books too. I love my Kindle! :wubbers:

One in each case and one for the cabin! I need a kindle, though I worry about getting it or full of sand.
I always leave my books behind, although this year they all fell apart. Not sure if it was the heat or whatever, but the pages were falling out :grrrrr:
NastyNickers

Postby Claire » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Dimples wrote:I'm now reading Eleanor Oliphant.

She reminds me of Fen a bit. I think that's why I liked the character so much.
Claire

Postby Claire » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:59 pm

Six Years -Harlan Coben

I might try Helen Fields. I'm glad you liked Eleanor. What did you think of Harlan Coben? I love him. :thumbsup:
Claire

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Claire wrote:
Six Years -Harlan Coben

I might try Helen Fields. I'm glad you liked Eleanor. What did you think of Harlan Coben? I love him. :thumbsup:

I love Harlan Coben too. His Myron Bolitar series was one of the very first book series I read and fell in love with. I think there was only the Stephanie Plum and Kay Scarpetta ones before it.

Linwood Barclay is one of my fave authors. He is like Coben but more twisty.
NastyNickers

Postby malamute » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:25 pm

I’m on holiday and three quarters through Eleanor Oliphant and quite enjoying it.

We have two areas in the hotel where people leave books for other guests and I just picked up Last Seen by Lucy Clarke and Evil Games by Angela Marsons. This hotel is mainly germans, dutch and Scandinavians so these are the first english books I’ve seen all week. I feel like a lottery winner! :canny:
malamute

Postby Claire » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:27 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
Claire wrote:
Six Years -Harlan Coben

I love Harlan Coben too. His Myron Bolitar series was one of the very first book series I read and fell in love with. I think there was only the Stephanie Plum and Kay Scarpetta ones before it.

I love them too :wubbers: I have every one of them and then the three about his nephew. I'm going to check out Linwood Barclay as we obviously have very similar tastes in books. Also Stephanie Plum. Thanks Nicks. :thumbsup:
Claire

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Claire wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
Claire wrote:
Six Years -Harlan Coben

I love them too :wubbers: I have every one of them and then the three about his nephew. I'm going to check out Linwood Barclay as we obviously have very similar tastes in books. Also Stephanie Plum. Thanks Nicks. :thumbsup:

You’ll love Barclay. He’s so good. And new enough it’s not a battle to buy and read his bibliography :gigglesnshit: I prefer him to Coben. And Mo Hayder. She’s got an even smaller bibliography, but she is amazing. Most of her books are part of the Jack Caffery series so best read in order, but there’s a few stand Aimee too. She’s excellent, a bit darker than most thrillers, almost horror like.

Stephanie plum is just funny. She’s a bounty hunter who gets herself into pickles.
NastyNickers

Postby Dimples » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Claire wrote:

She reminds me of Fen a bit. I think that's why I liked the character so much.

I'm not all that far into the book as yet... so still forming an opinion of her. I've certainly had a little chuckle or two at her turn of phrase. :gigglesnshit:
Dimples

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug