Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Stooo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:09 pm

drum wrote:
Stooo wrote:I'm sure that you will enjoy it.

I've sent you a book, nothing about law though and it's 2nd (maybe 50) hand :mrgreen: . I kept it in a sealed bag for 36 hrs before packing and sending. It wont kill ya.

It arrived today along with one from my lads, I promise not to open them before my birthday :wubbers:

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby drum » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:58 am

aw well done, sorry about all the stamps :pmsl:
drum

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:51 pm

“Why I Write” George Orwell. He wrote it during WW2. It’s a bit heavy going, the kind of book where you have to have a break every couple of pages to digest it, but great.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Stooo » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:37 pm

How To Be A Liberal by Ian Dunt. Ancient Greek philosophy in chapter one followed by more historical revelations, well written as well and not at all sweary unlike his Twitter account :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby xtras1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:13 pm

I was given for Christmas a delightful book, Murder for Christmas. a series of short stories by famous authors:
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Agatha Christie
Georges simenon
Ngaio Marsh
Thoma Hardy...

to name a few, first story in the book 'Back for Christmas, by John Colier lighthearted & funny.
xtras1

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:20 pm

xtras1 wrote:I was given for Christmas a delightful book, Murder for Christmas. a series of short stories by famous authors:
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Agatha Christie
Georges simenon
Ngaio Marsh
Thoma Hardy...

to name a few, first story in the book 'Back for Christmas, by John Colier lighthearted & funny.

That's the sort of book I like. I might already have those stories in other short-story books though.
Raggamuffin

Postby xtras1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:31 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
xtras1 wrote:I was given for Christmas a delightful book, Murder for Christmas. a series of short stories by famous authors:
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Agatha Christie
Georges simenon
Ngaio Marsh
Thoma Hardy...

That's the sort of book I like. I might already have those stories in other short-story books though.

you probably do rags, i know i have a few too, a lovely gift i am rather enjoying it.
xtras1

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 am

I've just finished "He said, She said" by Erin Kelly. I read one of her other books "The poison tree", and when I picked up this one I didn't realise it was the same author, I just liked the title.

It's pretty good, as was The Poison Tree, but I find it difficult to get past the fact that she uses much the same style as Barbara Vine, AKA Ruth Rendell. There's a lot of going backwards and forwards re present and past, just like Barbara Vine, and there's a slow burn up to the end where all is revealed, just like Barbara Vine.

Still, it was pretty good. I need to read the ending again really as I rushed through it.
Raggamuffin

Postby drum » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:19 am

I read a book this week I thought was a true story, it wasn't. Just a story. It wasn't till after i'd read it and went looking to see what happened to the main character that I realised it was just a story. I wasted tears on that book. :bawlin:

The Girl Behind The Gates by Brenda Davies
drum

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:36 am

drum wrote:I read a book this week I thought was a true story, it wasn't. Just a story. It wasn't till after i'd read it and went looking to see what happened to the main character that I realised it was just a story. I wasted tears on that book. :bawlin:

I looked that up. It does say it's based on a true story, but clearly not the actual story of a real girl. I'm not sure I want to read it - it sounds a bit harrowing. :ooer:
Raggamuffin

Postby drum » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:54 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
drum wrote:I read a book this week I thought was a true story, it wasn't. Just a story. It wasn't till after i'd read it and went looking to see what happened to the main character that I realised it was just a story. I wasted tears on that book. :bawlin:

I looked that up. It does say it's based on a true story, but clearly not the actual story of a real girl. I'm not sure I want to read it - it sounds a bit harrowing. :ooer:

It skips years at a time, because she's just in that place but lightens up at the end. I'd just like to know what happened with the rest of her life. I hate endings like that.

If you like historic novels try The Sentence of Marriage by Shayne Parkinson first book is a free download. I've read these books a dozen or more times . A bit 'Thornbirds' as it goes over the years and generations of the family but no great romance. The first 3 in the series are decent enough, the last 2 not so great, as usual the writers tend to rush their ends. :shake head:
drum

Postby drum » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:32 pm

I've just downloaded The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewel. It has good reviews so giving it a go.
drum

Postby xtras1 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:01 pm

drum wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It skips years at a time, because she's just in that place but lightens up at the end. I'd just like to know what happened with the rest of her life. I hate endings like that.

If you like historic novels try The Sentence of Marriage by Shayne Parkinson first book is a free download. I've read these books a dozen or more times . A bit 'Thornbirds' as it goes over the years and generations of the family but no great romance. The first 3 in the series are decent enough, the last 2 not so great, as usual the writers tend to rush their ends. :shake head:

i hate that when the writers rush the end, well it feels like it to me.

i looked up the girl behind the gate looks interesting.
xtras1

Postby Twohoots » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:40 pm

drum wrote:I've just downloaded The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewel. It has good reviews so giving it a go.

i recently read this and really liked it. hope you do too.
Twohoots

Postby drum » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:45 am

Twohoots wrote:
drum wrote:I've just downloaded The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewel. It has good reviews so giving it a go.

i recently read this and really liked it. hope you do too.

I'm about half way through it now. :yikes: starting to all click into place.
drum

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug