It sounded like fun at first

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: It sounded like fun at first

Postby jp761 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Canucklehead wrote:A friend of mine is helping someone out this summer by taking over her snowcone stand near the beach. She texted me last week and asked if I was interested and my daughter (who is friends with her daughter) could come too. We would be paid £5/hr, so initially I thought it would be good experience for the girls so I said yeah. She texted me today and said we have to go into town to get a permit, and I need my passport and a photo (passport size) to use for the permit. And then she says that she and I have to be the "permit holders" with the girls as our employees. I'm hoping this isn't more than I bargained for, with the pay being a bit crap. I only agreed because I thought it sounded like fun. :bawlin: I don't really fancy being in charge of anything for £5/hr. :again?:

Should I just suck it up and do it for the kids?

I already have several jobs (minimal hours) but I don't want to spend my whole summer doing that.
If you already have several jobs tbh you're already doing plenty for your kids. For me it doesn't sound worth it for £5/hr.

Also I don't know how knackered having several jobs makes you or not but i'm sure you want to have some energy left for other thing's in life, not just work. And as you say you don't want to spend your whole summer doing that.
jp761

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:19 pm

jp761 wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:A friend of mine is helping someone out this summer by taking over her snowcone stand near the beach. She texted me last week and asked if I was interested and my daughter (who is friends with her daughter) could come too. We would be paid £5/hr, so initially I thought it would be good experience for the girls so I said yeah. She texted me today and said we have to go into town to get a permit, and I need my passport and a photo (passport size) to use for the permit. And then she says that she and I have to be the "permit holders" with the girls as our employees. I'm hoping this isn't more than I bargained for, with the pay being a bit crap. I only agreed because I thought it sounded like fun. :bawlin: I don't really fancy being in charge of anything for £5/hr. :again?:

I already have several jobs (minimal hours) but I don't want to spend my whole summer doing that.
If you already have several jobs tbh you're already doing plenty for your kids. For me it doesn't sound worth it for £5/hr.

Also I don't know how knackered having several jobs makes you or not but i'm sure you want to have some energy left for other thing's in life, not just work. And as you say you don't want to spend your whole summer doing that.

One job is 12 hrs/wk, the other two are 3hrs/wk each. I'm still only working part time, I have most of the day to myself when I'm doing my 12 hr/wk job. My friend knows my work schedule and that I don't want to be doing it every day. It sounds like we will have days where she's with her daughter and other days where I'm working with mine, although I'd like the girls to be able to work together sometimes too.
Nucks

Postby jp761 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Canucklehead wrote:
jp761 wrote:

One job is 12 hrs/wk, the other two are 3hrs/wk each. I'm still only working part time, I have most of the day to myself when I'm doing my 12 hr/wk job. My friend knows my work schedule and that I don't want to be doing it every day. It sounds like we will have days where she's with her daughter and other days where I'm working with mine, although I'd like the girls to be able to work together sometimes too.
Plenty of parents make sacrifices and put their children first as they should, but there is also an argument that on occasions a parent should put themselves first. Clearly only you can decide how much of a sacrifice it is on top of those jobs that you already have.

Saying all of this it doesn't sound that bad overall especially as you say she will probably be with her daughters some days and you with yours other days. And yeah you could also arrange for them to work on the same days on occasions.

And a job down the coast by the beach is a good place for your children to gain some work experience, it'll be a busy but happy/fun environment.
jp761

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:39 pm

jp761 wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:
jp761 wrote:

Plenty of parents make sacrifices and put their children first as they should, but there is also an argument that on occasions a parent should put themselves first. Clearly only you can decide how much of a sacrifice it is on top of those jobs that you already have.

Saying all of this it doesn't sound that bad overall especially as you say she will probably be with her daughters some days and you with yours other days. And yeah you could also arrange for them to work on the same days on occasions.

And a job down the coast by the beach is a good place for your children to gain some work experience, it'll be a busy but happy/fun environment.

I think so too. :smilin: :Swing:
Nucks

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Canucklehead wrote:
Guest wrote:Has yours been having these mental health classes at school as well?

Mine started saying she was having panic attacks and I asked where she had even heard of them. At school and obviously on programmes she said.

After that she asked me to write a letter for her to get out of class. (A pass). Me being a silly fucker did. Fool me once...

Guest wrote:Fancy teaching mental health to teenagers with raging hormones at a time where they're trying to find their own identity and wanting to. Fit in with their piers.

:ooer: :ooer:

Have you two wandered into the wrong thread?

How rude.

You being a mother with a teen I was asking you a question/thoughts on something. I see rebellion as natural at this age and I may worry more if there wasn't any but I have found that the teaching of mental health in schools for this to be something they will use to their advantage.

They soon realise that they get a pass out of class for having panic attacks. So they say they're having panic attacks. Get it?

Never mind. Would have expected better from a mother.

Postby 4ever2 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Canucklehead wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:
jp761 wrote:

I think so too. :smilin: :Swing:

Just my 2¢ worth {but you did ask} ...aren't the life lesson's/job skills we all learned from our very first jobs {good/bad/ugly} worth more than the wages we are paid?
I mean, given that those earliest jobs are an opportunity to soak up so much more than we give the person writing our checks seems such an offset for what lousy pay the 'JOB' may be offering. Those young people learn: responsibility - customer service - how to work with ornery co-workers/lesser thinking/lazy humans and NOT BE LIKE THOSE JERKS - work ethics that will carry with them the rest of their life.
And - AND - location - location - location; she's gonna see people from all walks of life and be exposed to 'BOYS - BOYS - BOYS' ...this may become the seasonal job that broadens her horizons and gives her a nice foundation for a resume! Nothing to gain but a WIN - WIN situation IMO.
My very first job was mucking stalls, just so I could ride; my siblings thought I was nuts ...but I didn't care how much poop I had to scoop - riding and getting free English Seat lessons was what was my passion and at 10yrs old it was a barter job. WIN - WIN for me! :canny:
4ever2

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Guest wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:
Guest wrote:Has yours been having these mental health classes at school as well?

Mine started saying she was having panic attacks and I asked where she had even heard of them. At school and obviously on programmes she said.

After that she asked me to write a letter for her to get out of class. (A pass). Me being a silly fucker did. Fool me once...

Guest wrote:Fancy teaching mental health to teenagers with raging hormones at a time where they're trying to find their own identity and wanting to. Fit in with their piers.

:ooer: :ooer:

Have you two wandered into the wrong thread?

How rude.

You being a mother with a teen I was asking you a question/thoughts on something. I see rebellion as natural at this age and I may worry more if there wasn't any but I have found that the teaching of mental health in schools for this to be something they will use to their advantage.

They soon realise that they get a pass out of class for having panic attacks. So they say they're having panic attacks. Get it?

Never mind. Would have expected better from a mother.

What on earth does it have to do with the topic of the thread though? I was talking about a summer job, no mention of rebellion or mental health education. :dunno:
Nucks

Postby jp761 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Hmm isn't this suppose to be a nice part of the forum. Zero mention of mental health or rebellion in this thread. Of course guest you can post your own thread about your own children if you want. :)
jp761

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:27 pm

jp761 wrote:Hmm isn't this suppose to be a nice part of the forum. Zero mention of mental health or rebellion in this thread. Of course guest you can post your own thread about your own children if you want. :)

I don't think they were trolling, just very off-topic. As you say, they're free to start their own thread.
Nucks

Postby jp761 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Canucklehead wrote:
jp761 wrote:Hmm isn't this suppose to be a nice part of the forum. Zero mention of mental health or rebellion in this thread. Of course guest you can post your own thread about your own children if you want. :)

I don't think they were trolling, just very off-topic. As you say, they're free to start their own thread.
Yep an honest mistake I think.
jp761

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:36 pm

jp761 wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:

The "would have expected better from a mother" is a bit below the belt though and borderline trolling.
Nucks

Postby jp761 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Canucklehead wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:

The "would have expected better from a mother" is a bit below the belt though and borderline trolling.
True. I'm sure admins do step in though IF threads like this one start going off on tangents.

With a name like sleeping dogs snug it deserves to stay NICE! :)
jp761

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug