Texas courts strips more women of reproductive right

Texas courts strips more women of reproductive right

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:17 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 12784.html

A federal appeals court has ruled that a Texas father has the authority to consent to his teenage daughter’s use of birth control under the federal Title X programme, claiming a state parental rights law preempts the federal statute.

On Tuesday, a three-panel judge of the conservative Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court ruling that prevents minors from obtaining contraceptives at federally-funded Title X clinics without parental consent. But they stopped short of ruling whether or not those groups could notify parents or obtain consent.

The decision ignores a long-held precedent that says minors have similar rights to adults in accessing contraceptives without parental consent.

The GOP have admitted they're out to restrict the use of birth control next and this is a giant step in that direction.

And is this effective?

Mississippi - Highest teen birth rate. Republican
Arkansas - second highest teen birth rate - Republican
Louisiana, Oklahoma, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Texas and New Mexico fill out the states where your teenage daughter is most likely to have an unwanted pregnancy.

Does anyone want to guess what the party affiliation each of those state legislatures has?

The only way the GOP are willing to stop a pregnancy is by shutting down IVF programs.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ryo-ruling
Cactus Jack

Re: Texas courts strips more women of reproductive right

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:11 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/texas-birth-control-minors-parents-consent-b2512784.html

A federal appeals court has ruled that a Texas father has the authority to consent to his teenage daughter’s use of birth control under the federal Title X programme, claiming a state parental rights law preempts the federal statute.

On Tuesday, a three-panel judge of the conservative Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court ruling that prevents minors from obtaining contraceptives at federally-funded Title X clinics without parental consent. But they stopped short of ruling whether or not those groups could notify parents or obtain consent.

The decision ignores a long-held precedent that says minors have similar rights to adults in accessing contraceptives without parental consent.

The GOP have admitted they're out to restrict the use of birth control next and this is a giant step in that direction.

And is this effective?

Mississippi - Highest teen birth rate. Republican
Arkansas - second highest teen birth rate - Republican
Louisiana, Oklahoma, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Texas and New Mexico fill out the states where your teenage daughter is most likely to have an unwanted pregnancy.

Does anyone want to guess what the party affiliation each of those state legislatures has?

The only way the GOP are willing to stop a pregnancy is by shutting down IVF programs.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ryo-ruling

That's not very woke now is it. You lot believe men can have babies now :flog:

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:45 pm

Should I be shocked that Guest doesn't think fathers are a thing?

Not in his life obviously.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:29 pm

:NAA:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:23 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

Should I be shocked that Guest doesn't think fathers are a thing?
biological thing
Not in his life obviously.

Of course fathers are a thing, always have been, so are mothers.
There shouldn't be any dispute about it.
But fathers becoming mothers? Hmmm, nope.

Women who transition to male and then get pregnant are still mothers, because they have the female productive organs in order to be able to get pregnant.
Get it?
No person without a womb and ovaries will ever be able to bear a child, therefore can never be called a mother.
Let me repeat this.

Only females can give birth, even if they feel they're in a male body.
Therefore a birthing parent will always be a mother, whether they like it or not.
That's just a scientific fact and has been like that since the beginning of time.
Do you have any exception to that?

Don't you think there's a reason why nature created a weaker and a stronger sex?
Why is that?
Perhaps you could explain that to me.
Why could we women not have been created equal to men?
Same strength, same bone density, same fighting and hunting spirit, be less nurturing etc...

Why were men not given a womb?
Did nature make a mistake?
Do you think you could answer this without your usual sarcasm?
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:48 am

I can see why members of Trump's Death Cult would want to make this about trans but what we're talking about is how the SCOTUS decision that overturned Roe v Wade has, in the view of the Supreme Court in Alabama, meant that IVF treatments have also become illegal.

The Scotus decision was that life begins at conception.

For IVF treatments conception, and the first few weeks of gestation, takes place outide the womb.

In IVF the embryos, conceived outside the womb, are frozen and attempts are made to implant them into the prospective mother and there is approximately a 70% chance it will result in a pregnancy. If it doesn't there are usually two other attempts with an overall success rate of near 95%.

So if you're one of the parents who is lucky first time what happens to the second and third embryos?

Before the SCOTUS decision, under the Roe v Wade law, those were disposed of. Now that law no longer applies, those embryos in a freezer are people - or that's what SCOTUS has decided - and disposing of them is murder.

And much as the MAGA Death Cult want to change this to their culture war it's a serious subject affecting hundreds of thousands of American women every year.
Cactus Jack

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:11 am

Holly wrote:No person without a womb and ovaries will ever be able to bear a child, therefore can never be called a mother.
Let me repeat this.

Not sure how we got onto this from the original subject but maybe I missed something obvious. But just to pick up on your point, you seem to be narrowing down the definition of 'mother' to someone who has given birth. But 'mother' has a wider context, for instance it includes a female who takes on a parenting role such as a foster or adoptive mother, and that would be the case whether or not she has a womb or has given birth herself.

Postby Holly » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:43 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I can see why members of Trump's Death Cult would want to make this about trans but what we're talking about is how the SCOTUS decision that overturned Roe v Wade has, in the view of the Supreme Court in Alabama, meant that IVF treatments have also become illegal.

For IVF treatments conception, and the first few weeks of gestation, takes place outide the womb.

In IVF the embryos, conceived outside the womb, are frozen and attempts are made to implant them into the prospective mother and there is approximately a 70% chance it will result in a pregnancy. If it doesn't there are usually two other attempts with an overall success rate of near 95%.

So if you're one of the parents who is lucky first time what happens to the second and third embryos?

Before the SCOTUS decision, under the Roe v Wade law, those were disposed of. Now that law no longer applies, those embryos in a freezer are people - or that's what SCOTUS has decided - and disposing of them is murder.

And much as the MAGA Death Cult want to change this to their culture war it's a serious subject affecting hundreds of thousands of American women every year.

Death cult, Mega cult, blah blah blah
I knew you couldn't do it.
You're an idiot.
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Your word salad suggests that you never actually had a real woman in your life.
You just keep repeating woke crap you read on google :roll:
You're completely clueless.
I don't know much about you, but the way you come across suggests that you're a woman hater.
Why is that I wonder?
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:21 pm

Holly wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I can see why members of Trump's Death Cult would want to make this about trans but what we're talking about is how the SCOTUS decision that overturned Roe v Wade has, in the view of the Supreme Court in Alabama, meant that IVF treatments have also become illegal.

You're an idiot.
I don't know much about you, but the way you come across suggests that you're a woman hater.
Why is that I wonder?

His point is that the GOP and St. Trump are proving themselves to be woman haters by literally taking away their human rights, it's right in front of you. :dunno:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:24 am

Stooo wrote:
Holly wrote:

You're an idiot.
Why is that I wonder?

His point is that the GOP and St. Trump are proving themselves to be woman haters by literally taking away their human rights, it's right in front of you. :dunno:

Women's rights are not being taken away, abortions will still be available up to 16 weeks, and in some states perhaps even longer.
You seem to forget that women also have the opportunity to use contraceptives.

As for human rights, where was it when people were forced to take a vaccine or they would have lost their jobs or livelihoods?
A vaccine that wasn't even properly researched.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:20 am

Holly wrote:
Women's rights are not being taken away, abortions will still be available up to 16 weeks, and in some states perhaps even longer.

"On Tuesday, a three-panel judge of the conservative Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court ruling that prevents minors from obtaining contraceptives at federally-funded Title X clinics without parental consent."

Postby Holly » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:48 am

Guest wrote:
Holly wrote:

"On Tuesday, a three-panel judge of the conservative Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court ruling that prevents minors from obtaining contraceptives at federally-funded Title X clinics without parental consent."

And fair enough too, parents should be allowed to know when their minor children become sexually active.
What's wrong with that?
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:15 am

Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:
Holly wrote:

And fair enough too, parents should be allowed to know when their minor children become sexually active.
What's wrong with that?

It takes away the minor's right to make her own decision. Don't forget that in Texas and other states a 17 year old is considered a minor - just think, when you were 17 would you have wanted to ask your dad's permission before having sex?

Postby Holly » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:38 am

Guest wrote:
Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:
Holly wrote:

What's wrong with that?

It takes away the minor's right to make her own decision. Don't forget that in Texas and other states a 17 year old is considered a minor - just think, when you were 17 would you have wanted to ask your dad's permission before having sex?

I would assume that most 17 year olds could asked their mother to help them get contraceptive, and I would also assume that most mothers would approve, rather than have their 17 year old come home pregnant.
Should there only be a father in the household, I'd suspect he'd feel the same.

17 year olds can also purchase condoms.
There is very seldom an excuse for an abortion after 16 weeks, except for health reasons,rape and incest.
That I would absolutely support.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:16 am

Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:It takes away the minor's right to make her own decision. Don't forget that in Texas and other states a 17 year old is considered a minor - just think, when you were 17 would you have wanted to ask your dad's permission before having sex?

I would assume that most 17 year olds could asked their mother to help them get contraceptive, and I would also assume that most mothers would approve, rather than have their 17 year old come home pregnant.
Should there only be a father in the household, I'd suspect he'd feel the same.

I'd like to think so but I'm not so sure. Bear in mind this stems from a lawsuit brought by a father "who is raising his children “in accordance with his Christian beliefs”, which includes abstaining from pre-marital sex"

There will be many parents from socially conservative states who share those beliefs.

Next

Return to US News