Texas courts strips more women of reproductive right

Re: Texas courts strips more women of reproductive right

Postby Holly » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:31 am

Guest wrote:
Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:It takes away the minor's right to make her own decision. Don't forget that in Texas and other states a 17 year old is considered a minor - just think, when you were 17 would you have wanted to ask your dad's permission before having sex?

I would assume that most 17 year olds could asked their mother to help them get contraceptive, and I would also assume that most mothers would approve, rather than have their 17 year old come home pregnant.
Should there only be a father in the household, I'd suspect he'd feel the same.

I'd like to think so but I'm not so sure. Bear in mind this stems from a lawsuit brought by a father "who is raising his children “in accordance with his Christian beliefs”, which includes abstaining from pre-marital sex"

There will be many parents from socially conservative states who share those beliefs.

Yes that's unfortunate, but in that case those teens might just have to put up with either using condoms, or get an abortion under 16 weeks.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:29 pm

Abortions are illegal at any stage of the pregnancy in Texas, except in rare conditions where there is an immediate threat to the mothers life - and Texas legislature is trying to get rid of that exception.

An abortion provider faces up to 99 years in prison - and although this does not included the morning after pill, which is available without prescription, many pharmacies (what the Americans would call drug stores) are either unaware of this distinction or do not carry emergency contraception for fear of death threats from 'pro-life' activists.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:51 pm

Let alone the fuck up in Alabama.

Alabama lawmakers have passed a bill to protect in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) clinics and doctors from lawsuits and criminal prosecution.

The state's supreme court last month ruled that frozen embryos had the same rights as children, and people could be held liable for destroying them.

At least three IVF clinics paused treatments after the ruling, causing political fallout for Republicans.

The new law will allow the clinics to resume services.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68494125
Stooo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to US News