The destruction of Maui

The destruction of Maui

Postby Holly » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:51 pm

WTF is wrong with you people?

The whole of Maui has been destroyed, over hundred people and still counting, including children, have lost their lives, 86% of homes burned to the ground, people jumping into the ocean to keep themselves from melting, the livelihood of thousands of people destroyed, yet not one of you here have even mentioned this. Why is that?

I've been waiting, yet nobody seems to bother :dunno:
But OMG, Trump, Trump, Trump.

Even Joe Biden when asked about it, could only master a "no comment" :ooer:
Stupid moron.

All he eventually sent to Maui was his sympathy, WOW, that was generous...while sending another 100 million to the Ukraine once again, and while on holiday...once again.

This world is truly fucked up.
No compassion at all.
No priorities.
This needs to be watched.

Wouldn't surprise me if the elite rushes in now and buys all the land of those poor people who have nowhere to go.
Oprah already owns 2,000 acres in Maui, land that's "lucky enough" not to have been affected by the fire.

Lucky Oprah.
Holly
Site Admin

Re: The destruction of Maui

Postby Stooo » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:02 pm

What do you expect, do you want him throwing papers towels and fucking off like the last guy?

Aid is arriving and people are getting help but it's a long slog. The President has already said that a personal visit at this time would disrupt existing supply routes and airfields and has been very vocal about his support.

I'm surprised that Jewish space lasers weren't mentioned.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:16 am

Stooo wrote:What do you expect, do you want him throwing papers towels and fucking off like the last guy?

Aid is arriving and people are getting help but it's a long slog. The President has already said that a personal visit at this time would disrupt existing supply routes and airfields and has been very vocal about his support.

Uhmm...yeah OK, you're right as always :laughing:
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Text » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:09 pm

After the horror of covid, you'd think we'd have a break, but now the world has fresh man-made horrors :wild fires everywhere, & Putin's deadly war. :eyebrow:
Text

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:35 pm

Can I remind Holly that there is absolute consensus in the scientific community that this glut of 'global boiling' disasters is result of climate change that was systematically denied for decades by the GQP and it's allies.

A person she quoted, Russell Brand, has made the point that the privatisation of disaster response and the constant cuts to services that monitor and mitigate threats to public safety have formed a de facto conspiracy by the corporations that fund the GQP to profiteer natural and man made disasters.

Yes these wildfires are terrible and let's hope Ted Cruz - who was quick enough to phone in his vote to give Texas aid from the safety of his hideaway in Mexico when a natural disaster hit his state - doesn't try to block FEMA aid to Hawaii.
Cactus Jack

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:33 am

Holly have you noticed that in these forest fires the only things not burning are trees?
The dumbest thing I ever heard was we have now entered global boiling! :pmsl:
Global right... as in global climate boiling.
The southern hemisphere is currently in winter there is nothing global about it.
The UK has/is going through the coolest summer I can remember.
The northern hemispheres climate is not boiling.
There are some freak weather events in the northern hemisphere regarding temperatures that rival the 1930's but the northern hemisphere as a whole is not fucking boiling or even particularly hot!
Did you know that for the last five years we have had record snowfalls in the northern hemisphere?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:42 am

Stooo wrote:I'm surprised that Jewish space lasers weren't mentioned.

You and CJ are the only ones on this forum who constantly fucking bring Jews into any topic you fancy.
Not one other person ever does it.
You should be reported and fucking sanctioned in some way.
You and the Irish idiot do it again and again for no other reason than to use anti Semitism for your own ends.
Just you two and no matter how many times I pull you up about it you just can't help yourselves.
You think it unimportant when you two do it.
You'll support each other in doing it.
Fucking disgusting.
I've screen grabbed this along with the last lot you did just a couple of weeks ago and might just send it off to the right people when I figure out who the best right people are.
Ask them to scour this place to see if they can find a single person besides you two who does this.
I already know the answer of course.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:58 am

Stooo wrote:What do you expect, do you want him throwing papers towels and fucking off like the last guy?

Russell Brand did mention space lasers - although he was using the phrase as an analogy.

The Whitehouse has done what it can by releasing FEMA and declaring a state of emergency it's now up to the Republican led house to allocate and release funds to help the victims.

I'm sure they'll get around to it after they find a way to blame this disaster on Hunter Biden's laptop.
Cactus Jack

Postby Holly » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:35 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

Russell Brand did mention space lasers - although he was using the phrase as an analogy.

The Whitehouse has done what it can by releasing FEMA and declaring a state of emergency it's now up to the Republican led house to allocate and release funds to help the victims.

I'm sure they'll get around to it after they find a way to blame this disaster on Hunter Biden's laptop.

Leave Saint Hunter's name out of it :snooty: ...of course it's TRUMP fault, silly :roll:
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:30 am

Holly wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Leave Saint Hunter's name out of it :snooty: ...of course it's TRUMP fault, silly :roll:

I seem to recall The House Speaker is Kevin McCarthy at the moment.

Joe Biden has done what everything in his constitutional power - I think it's around $5.6 million to date. And I'm sure The House, The Senate and the Whitehouse will be doing more after the immediate crisis is over and a plan for reconstruction needs to be put in place.
Cactus Jack

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:55 am

Personally I find using this tragedy to score political points is fucking awful

I work alongside a woman from Hawaii, she buried her father a fortnight ago and then whilst dealing with that her childhood home burnt down - her mother is in pieces but they are just counting their blessings that all family members are accounted for

Our collective thoughts were for what she is going through, political bullshit hasn't been mentioned and this is from Americans scattered across the whole of the USA (and the odd European freelancer)

These are real people and real tragedies and point scoring is entirely crass
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:20 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:I'm surprised that Jewish space lasers weren't mentioned.

You and CJ are the only ones on this forum who constantly fucking bring Jews into any topic you fancy.
Not one other person ever does it.
You should be reported and fucking sanctioned in some way.
You and the Irish idiot do it again and again for no other reason than to use anti Semitism for your own ends.
Just you two and no matter how many times I pull you up about it you just can't help yourselves.
You think it unimportant when you two do it.
You'll support each other in doing it.
Fucking disgusting.
I've screen grabbed this along with the last lot you did just a couple of weeks ago and might just send it off to the right people when I figure out who the best right people are.
Ask them to scour this place to see if they can find a single person besides you two who does this.
I already know the answer of course.

Know your meme and screengrab this you little bitch.

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:14 pm

OK, this might be a silly question, but it does have to make you wonder why trees keep standing, some even with leaves attached, while houses and cars around them burned to a crisp.
Can anyone explain how this can happen?
Trees are wood, they should burn.
No, no, no, I'm not saying there's anything weird going on at all, before anyone starts on me, absolutely not, but a lot of people keep asking the same question
How is this possible?
Is there a reasonable explanation?

Lucky Oprah though, her over 2000 acres of land in 3 different areas all over Maui were completely untouched by the fire.
How lucky is she?
One of the richest women on earth got lucky, while the poorest of the poor, lost everything.

No, not getting into any silly conspiracy theory, but it does make you wonder how the rich get away, while the poor lose everything.

At least she handed out pillows and shampoo while bringing along her own camera crew :roll:

She really does seems lucky though.
Back in 2017 there was a fire in Montecito/California where she lives, that destroyed 700 homes, once again, her house was completely untouched.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:20 pm

Holly wrote:OK, this might be a silly question, but it does have to make you wonder why trees keep standing, while houses and cars around them are burned to a crisp.
No, no, no, I'm not saying there's anything weird going on at all, absolutely not, but a lot of people keep asking the same question
How is this possible?

Simple answer: Some species of tree are fireproof https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34116491
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:24 pm

Holly wrote:OK, this might be a silly question, but it does have to make you wonder why trees keep standing, while houses and cars around them are burned to a crisp.
No, no, no, I'm not saying there's anything weird going on at all, absolutely not, but a lot of people keep asking the same question
How is this possible?

This article explains it quite well, Holly.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-m ... 4458337667

“It’s actually very common that wildfires will burn out structures and vehicles but leave surrounding trees, utility poles, and other vegetation unscathed,” said Michael Gollner, an associate professor of mechanical engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, who leads a fire research lab."

Christopher Dunn, an Oregon State University assistant professor of wildfire risk science, offered a similar assessment of the Maui visuals showing trees and poles still standing amid fire-ravaged landscape: “No, that’s not unusual.”

Dunn provided photos from a 2020 fire in southern Oregon in which homes were destroyed while neighboring trees remained upright, despite some charring. While small pieces of wood burn easily, the sheer size of large trees, some protection from their bark and the water they contain make it so they don’t simply vaporize during a fire, he said — which explains the fact that some salvage trees for lumber after a forest fire.

Next

Return to US News