Hunter Biden to plead guilty to tax and gun offences

Hunter Biden to plead guilty to tax and gun offences

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:11 pm

US President Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden, is expected to plead guilty to two misdemeanour tax crimes and admit to illegally possessing a gun while a drug user, after a five-year investigation.

The US Attorney in Delaware has filed papers indicating a plea agreement has been reached.

He is expected to agree to drug treatment and monitoring.

The terms of the agreement are likely to keep him out of jail.

In theory, he still faces a maximum penalty of a year in prison on each of the tax charges and 10 years in prison on the gun charge, the justice department said in a statement. The proposed deal would need to be approved by the judge in the case, who will also determine the sentence.

It is unclear when Hunter Biden will appear in court to enter his guilty plea on the tax charges.

He will admit to felony gun possession as part of a "pre-trial diversion agreement" that is separate from the plea deal, his lawyer Chris Clark said in a statement.

"I know Hunter believes it is important to take responsibility for these mistakes he made during a period of turmoil and addiction in his life," Mr Clark added. "He looks forward to continuing his recovery and moving forward."

Mr Clark told MSNBC that the conditions of his client's probation were "up to to the court" but that he expected Mr Biden would be released without conditions after his court appearance.

"I think the judge is going to do what's fair and I think what's fair is my client gets on with his life," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65965473

It's almost certain Trump's cult will start their usual nonsense and overlook the fact Hunter Biden has pleaded guilty.

Had Trump simply admitted that he had the documents in Mar-A-Lago he would not have needed to plead guilty to anything because the indictment makes it absolutely clear he would not even have been charged.

I have no doubt Hunter Biden will get a better deal than some schmuck on the street, I live in the real world and know that even if Joe Biden makes it explicitly clear he expects no favours for his son the thumb is automatically on the scale. Not because 'the Democrats are blah blah blah' but In the same way Aaron Rodgers wasn't going to get 30 days in jail for breaking covid restrictions in Green Bay. Celebrity gets leniency.

I'm equally certain that Donald Trump won't get the three years given to Robert Birchum even he drags out the trial and finally found as guilty as the evidence shows he is.

But Hunter Biden didn't try to overthrow the government and Trump did.
Cactus Jack

Re: Hunter Biden to plead guilty to tax and gun offences

Postby Stooo » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:18 pm

They should give him the maximum even if it's life.

A message needs to be sent.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:00 pm

And then after an investigation to Jared Kushner's $2 billion gift from the Saudi government who had recently cut the head off of an American journalist and then stuck the rest of him in binbags.

It's only fair :NAA:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:36 am

First sorry I put this in the wrong place - it should be in the US News not the UK news.

Second, you can be 99% sure that nobody who pleads guilty gets the maximum sentence. You can be 90% sure that anyone with a high public profile will get as much as the average person. You can be 100% sure that no-one who is politically well connected will get a very lenient sentence.
Cactus Jack

Postby Holly » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:17 am

Cactus Jack wrote:First sorry I put this in the wrong place - it should be in the US News not the UK news.

Second, you can be 99% sure that nobody who pleads guilty gets the maximum sentence. You can be 90% sure that anyone with a high public profile will get as much as the average person. You can be 100% sure that no-one who is politically well connected will get a very lenient sentence.

:pmsl:
Holly
Site Admin

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:51 am

Cactus Jack wrote:First sorry I put this in the wrong place - it should be in the US News not the UK news.

No worries, I moved it :smilin:
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:59 am

Oops, meant to do it actually, but got distracted by the door bell.
Anyway, no big deal.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:43 am

I think you mean anyone.

Either that or you're completely contradicting the point you were making.

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Guest wrote:

I think you mean anyone.

Either that or you're completely contradicting the point you were making.

So wrong place and I fucked up the rhetorical form too. :slap:

What the idiot shoud have said wrote:You can be 100% sure that no-one who is politically well connected won't get a very lenient sentence
Cactus Jack

Postby Text » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:02 pm

Hunter has brought the whole case to a swift conclusion.
He simply said "yes I am guilty"
A straight-forward grown up attitude. No deflecting, gaslighting, threatening, ubfuscating 'woe is me, I am a victim, witchhunt ....' ad nauseam - he could teach the orange man-child a thing or 2.

Hunter's main mitigating factor is the incredible amount of tragedy in his family, i feel. As presidential families go, only the Kennedy clan has fared worse. 3 members of his close family died in front of him. Firstly his mum & sister, when they were young. Then his brave army brother died of brain cancer.
That's enough to mess up anyone's head. Not an excuse, just a reason. He's only human.
In deciding his punishment, I hope empathy prevails.
Text

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:13 pm

Text wrote:Hunter has brought the whole case to a swift conclusion.
He simply said "yes I am guilty"
A straight-forward grown up attitude. No deflecting, gaslighting, threatening, ubfuscating 'woe is me, I am a victim, witchhunt ....' ad nauseam - he could teach the orange man-child a thing or 2.

Hunter's main mitigating factor is the incredible amount of tragedy in his family, i feel. As presidential families go, only the Kennedy clan has fared worse. 3 members of his close family died in front of him. Firstly his mum & sister, when they were young. Then his brave army brother died of brain cancer.
That's enough to mess up anyone's head. Not an excuse, just a reason. He's only human.
In deciding his punishment, I hope empathy prevails.

I have to agree entirely on the way Hunter co-operated, accepted his guilt, showed remorse and brought the matter to a swift conclussion instead of dragging things out.

Mind you it's not hard to see why Trump is acting as he does, he has a brigade of suckers willing to reward him financially and politically for being a dick when it's obvious to a blind man he's as guilty as sin and he knows he will either be treated leniently or, at the very worst, will live as rotting cabbage (his cognitive decline is so obviously far advanced that I don't think he will make it as far as Jan 20th 2025 without shitting his pants, literally not metaphorically, live on TV) in a facility designed to make him as comfortable as possible.

BTW I don't just mean shitting his pants like he did in that cabinet meeting General Flynn talked about, I mean worse than even that
Cactus Jack

Postby ArchieG » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:13 am

Give Trump some sympathy here too! Look at his family. Are they not a tragedy too? They’re all absolutely fucking awful. I’m sure I’d store top secret papers in the garage if my family were that bad.
ArchieG

Postby Stooo » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:17 pm

Donald Trump fired off a series of desperate pleas on Truth Social, including multiple appeals to Congress to bail him out, hours after news broke that the Justice Department had turned over the first batch of evidence it plans to use against him. The former president was indicted earlier this month on charges related to his handling of classified material after leaving the White House.

“CONGRESS, PLEASE INVESTIGATE THE POLITICAL WITCH HUNTS AGAINST ME CURRENTLY BEING BROUGHT BY THE CORRUPT DOJ AND FBI, WHO ARE TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL,” Trump wrote Thursday morning.

The former president also dusted off the idea that the DOJ framed him by planting the classified material at Mar-a-Lago — despite the fact that he’s claimed repeatedly that he somehow declassified the material before bringing it to Florida himself. “Congress will hopefully now look at the ever continuing Witch Hunts and ELECTION INTERFERENCE against me on perfectly legal Boxes, where I have no doubt that information is being secretly ‘planted’ by the scoundrels in charge,” he wrote in another post before griping about his other legal woes.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234776019/

He's going down...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:17 pm

Because some never listen to anything but RWNJ ravings a summary.

Donald Trump Jr has said - in relation to people other than Hunter Biden - that the prohibition on addicts owning guns is unconstitutional and many courts have agreed, it has never been successfully prosecuted but is instead used as a 'holding' charge when dealing with extremists and taking to it trial would not be in the public interest.

Roger Stone, among other MAGA luminaries, got a better deal on the tax charges than Hunter Biden.

The prosecuting attorney and the district court judge who put the deal together were both Trump appointees who are sole survivors of the Trump era given complete autonomy by the DOJ precisely because they were on this case.
Cactus Jack

Postby Text » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:38 pm

@ title:
The joke that's doing the rounds atm is that it's the first time anyone has seen conservative law makers showing outrage at someone who flouts gun-control laws. :pmsl:

They have made more fuss over Hunter Biden's illegal gun ownership than they did over the numerous mass shootings atrocities in the US, combined.

Prancing misfits with illegally held guns can walk into any kindergarten, supermarket, house of worship, etc, and shoot every one ...... and these RW lawmakers remain unmoved, and stubbornly reject pleas for tighter gun control measures.
But when it's Hunter Biden who owns a gun illegally? - cue mass hysteria in the RW camp. :thud:
Text

Return to US News