Texas Wins the Census

Texas Wins the Census

Postby Maddog » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:57 pm

The big news out of the 2020 census data released yesterday is that the U.S. is becoming less white. As Reason's Ron Bailey noted yesterday, "the population identifying as white alone decreased by 8.6 percent since the previous census in 2010," while the number of people identifying as multiracial rose by 276 percent. But these aren't the only big changes American demographics saw in the decade between 2010 and 2020.

While growing at its slowest rate since the Great Depression (from 308.7 million residents in 2010 to 331.4 million in 2020), the U.S. also saw a shift in where people are choosing to live. The biggest gains go to Texas, Western states more broadly, and metropolitan areas across the country. Certain areas of the South also saw some significant gains.

America's Asian and Hispanic populations are booming, 2020 census data show:

• The number of people (of any race) identifying as Hispanic or Latino was around 62.1 million, up 23 percent from 2010. (In Texas, the "Hispanic population is now nearly as large as the non-Hispanic white population, with just half a percentage point separating them. Texas gained nearly 11 Hispanic residents for every additional white resident since 2010," notes The Texas Tribune.)

• About 24 million people identified as all or partially Asian, 9.7 million as all or partially American Indian or Alaska Native, and 1.6 million as all or partially Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.

But the biggest racial shift came in the number of people identifying as multiracial—up to 33.8 million in 2020, from 9 million in 2010.

"The 'in combination' multiracial populations for all race groups accounted for most of the overall changes in each racial category," the Census Bureau notes. "All of the race alone or in combination groups experienced increases. The Some Other Race alone or in combination group (49.9 million) increased 129%, surpassing the Black or African American population (46.9 million) as the second-largest race alone or in combination group."

https://reason.com/2021/08/13/texas-wins-the-census/

America is quickly becoming "other' in terms of race.

Hopefully this helps drown out the folks that can't function without looking at everything in terms or race.

Long after I'm gone, our national "color" will be beige or tan.
Maddog

Re: Texas Wins the Census

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:25 pm

Texas wins?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Maddog » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Texas wins?

That's the title of the article.

Texas had the biggest increase in population and will increase its size in Congress by two people. No other state is getting more than one, and of course several are losing one.

It also means Texas gains two electoral votes, one more than anyone else.

Although, the article is more about the census in general and highlights a lot of interesting changes in our demographics.
Maddog

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:49 pm

Maddog wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Texas wins?

That's the title of the article.

Texas had the biggest increase in population and will increase its size in Congress by two people. No other state is getting more than one, and of course several are losing one.

It also means Texas gains two electoral votes, one more than anyone else.

Although, the article is more about the census in general and highlights a lot of interesting changes in our demographics.

With you now :thumbsup:
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Maddog » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:10 pm

Stooo, I see the new news categories.
I think the US section should have two sections..

Texas, and not Texas. :more beer:
Maddog

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:10 pm

Texas is losing not winning.

By giving two more districts to majority minority districts the Democrats are increasing their chances of retaining the house in 2022. That's why Texas needs to pass voter integrity laws to stop minorities voting unfairly and turning Texas blue.

Postby Maddog » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Guest wrote:Texas is losing not winning.

By giving two more districts to majority minority districts the Democrats are increasing their chances of retaining the house in 2022. That's why Texas needs to pass voter integrity laws to stop minorities voting unfairly and turning Texas blue.

There are all sorts of good and bad scenarios when more people flood into your state.

It's a problem and to be honest I'm just tired of all the fucking traffic.

But I guess it's a better problem than being in a state that people are fleeing.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Maddog wrote:

There are all sorts of good and bad scenarios when more people flood into your state.

But I guess it's a better problem than being in a state that people are fleeing.

Addressing you both.

How do minorities 'vote unfairly'?

And i see you both think districts are 'given' to this or that group, how does that work?

I see the projection are saying Texas will be majority hispanic in less than 20 years and that the population within Texas is experiencing 'rural flight' so people are moving from the largely Republican rural areas to the increasingly influential suburbs. Do you think this will affect politics in Texas?
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Addressing you both.

And i see you both think districts are 'given' to this or that group, how does that work?

I see the projection are saying Texas will be majority hispanic in less than 20 years and that the population within Texas is experiencing 'rural flight' so people are moving from the largely Republican rural areas to the increasingly influential suburbs. Do you think this will affect politics in Texas?

Here is how voter fraud usually works in Texas. It's often used on non English speaking folks, of course it can be used by any ethnic group.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/local/4-indicted ... me/265282/

Texas might wind up like California which brought us Nixon and Reagan, but is now about as liberal as a state can get.

I do think Texas is different as the folks moving here tend to be more pro business and low tax. That's what's driving our massive growth. Damn sure isn't our weather..

Our entire country seems to be self segregating to a point. On line amd in terms of where we live.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Thanks for that answer Maddog but that's voting illegally not 'unfairly'

I see Texas as the state that has always been 'turning blue' but has never actually turned blue.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:54 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Thanks for that answer Maddog but that's voting illegally not 'unfairly'

I see Texas as the state that has always been 'turning blue' but has never actually turned blue.

The legality gets dicey when you have folks going door to door and "helping" people with their absentee ballots.

Technically it's not illegal to help an elderly neighbor that doesn't speak English, fill out their ballot. The problem arises when someone is being paid to help 500 of their neighbors.

That's why a lot of folks, including me want absentee ballots limited to those with mobility issues. Especially since the polls are open for about 2 weeks now. There is plenty of time to cast secure ballot at the polls.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:09 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Thanks for that answer Maddog but that's voting illegally not 'unfairly'

The legality gets dicey when you have folks going door to door and "helping" people with their absentee ballots.

Technically it's not illegal to help an elderly neighbor that doesn't speak English, fill out their ballot. The problem arises when someone is being paid to help 500 of their neighbors.

That's why a lot of folks, including me want absentee ballots limited to those with mobility issues. Especially since the polls are open for about 2 weeks now. There is plenty of time to cast secure ballot at the polls.

There are plenty of debates to be had for increasing engagement.

Wouldn't limiting absentee ballots in that way affect workers who were out of state on long term contracts?

It would probably pay to go the other way. Invest in a 100% absentee ballot solution delivered securely through the postal system and build in safeguards to make it work. By which I mean have spot audits carried out by independent bodies from out of state where households are picked at random, let's say 1 in 100, and the ballots from there checked against the votes tallied, this can be done from the first day votes start arriving.

And if there's an error rate over 0.05% then carry out a 100% audit.
Cactus Jack

Postby ATXn;D » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:30 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Addressing you both.

Here is how voter fraud usually works in Texas. It's often used on non English speaking folks, of course it can be used by any ethnic group.

Texas might wind up like California which brought us Nixon and Reagan, but is now about as liberal as a state can get.

I do think Texas is different as the folks moving here tend to be more pro business and low tax. That's what's driving our massive growth. Damn sure isn't our weather..

Our entire country seems to be self segregating to a point. On line amd in terms of where we live.

More likely that California will end up like Texas after Newsom is recalled and Larry Elder becimes Governor of California.

So interesting how there NO mention of that or cuomos downfall, the two big dem Governor guns going down in flames ANYWHERE on this (cough) ‘news forum’ :roll:
ATXn;D

Postby Maddog » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:45 pm

ATXn;D wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Addressing you both.

More likely that California will end up like Texas after Newsom is recalled and Larry Elder becimes Governor of California.

So interesting how there NO mention of that or cuomos downfall, the two big dem Governor guns going down in flames ANYWHERE on this (cough) ‘news forum’ :roll:

Newsom might get recalled. Elder could win, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The folks left in that state are very liberal..

California is a long way from having Republican control of both chambers of their legislature and every elected statewide office.
Maddog

Postby ATXn;D » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:52 pm

If that were true Newsom wouldn’t be being recalled,
Elder wouldn’t be leading him in polls and the dems
and their media lapdogs wouldnt be freaking out :roll:
ATXn;D

Next

Return to US News