Yikes, Prime Minister - Boris Johnson's bungling and buffon

Re: Yikes, Prime Minister - Boris Johnson's bungling and buffon

Postby Stooo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 pm

Another lead balloon...

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Grafenwalder » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:20 pm

How much longer are folk prepared to put up with this bullshit?

Grafenwalder

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 am

To be fair to this unnamed Cabinet source they are right. Most of the 2019 MPs are nobodies who were elected on the back of Boris's Brexit campaign and ousting him would not be in their best interests. Boris is the celebrity. They are not.

Still it's a good thing for Boris that he did not perform a ridiculous putsch of experienced MPs who disagreed with his Brexit position who he can call upon to help calm the waters and guide him through this tumultuous time.

Oh, hold on.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:22 am

Can Boris even survive the week at this rate?
Avon Barksdale

Postby Maddog » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:39 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:

Obviously he can step down.

What would trigger a snap election? A simple majority of Parliament?

I know I could Google this, but I'd rather discuss it.

I think I would like that ability here for our president. We do have recall elections for some governors.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:13 pm

Maddog wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

I think I would like that ability here for our president. We do have recall elections for some governors.

In practice he will be replaced by the next leader of the Conservative party.

In our system we don't vote for a person to be Prime Minister we vote for an MP.

MPs then vote to decide who will be Prime Minister.

In theory any MP could be PM but in practice it's always the leader of largest party in the government.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:32 pm

Well fuck... :thud:

I sorted my lunch break out to start at 12 because I like to listen to the banter on the James O'Brien show after PMQ's and then the news dropped that Wakeford had crossed the floor literally nine minutes before it started :yikes:

Starmer just took the piss out of 'Big Dog' and the red meat bullshit is going the way of all flesh. I listened to Javid being grilled about the BBC licence fee and being totally cornered when asked if Nadine Dorries was a functioning moron, the Princess of Darkness (Mogg) was just on Ch4 News suggesting that ducking people should be brought back.

What a time to be alive :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Grafenwalder » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:17 pm

Interesting thread;

Grafenwalder

Postby Maddog » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:05 am

Grafenwalder wrote:Interesting thread;

Which is why Boris is in deep shit.

If the state penalized people for such trivial things, then the people that implemented those rules need to be punished when they break them.

Unfortunately in my country, congress often exempts itself from the laws they pass.

Pretty good gig if you get it.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:41 am

Again our covid response is being buffeted around by the demands de Pfeffel's political survival makes of a news cycle obsessed with narrative and no analysis.

Instead of saying what we all see, that de Pfeffel threw the arch-Brexiteer/anti-Vax wing of his party the bone of scrapping all public safety measures on the spot without a thought for those it would affect, the news led with wonderful news that covid was over when it isn't and buried the Prime Minister's political woes behind it.

Nadine's threats to the BBC showing the consequences of reporting it any other way.

But don't fret, when the daily news cycle reports cases spiking again your sychophantic press will dutifully report the Dear Leader's 'decisive' action reintroducing more restrictions than are necessary so he can make headlines again when he scraps them.
Cactus Jack

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:55 am

Maddog wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

What is happening at the moment is that it appears Boris is losing the confidence of his party as leader and the party may seek to replace him. They can do so by having a vote of confidence and then a leadership contest if he loses. This means the Prime Minister may change but not the ruling party (the Conservatives.)

A general election could occur if the Government (rather than Boris himself) lose a motion of no confidence in Parliament but that isn't realistically on the cards even though I believe one of the parties here (the Lib Dems) have tabled such a motion to be considered.

Boris may hang on as leader as it is probable he will win a confidence vote - like his predecessor Theresa May did - but much like May will probably fall eventually as he would be fatally weakened as leader.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:57 am

Maddog wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:Interesting thread;

Which is why Boris is in deep shit.

If the state penalized people for such trivial things, then the people that implemented those rules need to be punished when they break them.

Unfortunately in my country, congress often exempts itself from the laws they pass.

Pretty good gig if you get it.

Correct.

The British electorate have the ability to let a lot of things slide, including rampant corruption, but seemingly cannot abide hypocrisy or the idea that the rules do not apply equally to everyone.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Maddog » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:16 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

What is happening at the moment is that it appears Boris is losing the confidence of his party as leader and the party may seek to replace him. They can do so by having a vote of confidence and then a leadership contest if he loses. This means the Prime Minister may change but not the ruling party (the Conservatives.)

A general election could occur if the Government (rather than Boris himself) lose a motion of no confidence in Parliament but that isn't realistically on the cards even though I believe one of the parties here (the Lib Dems) have tabled such a motion to be considered.

Boris may hang on as leader as it is probable he will win a confidence vote - like his predecessor Theresa May did - but much like May will probably fall eventually as he would be fatally weakened as leader.

That's sort of what I thought. I knew Boris could step down, and that his party could replace him. I was wondering what the mechanism for a snap election was.

With the Tories holding a majority vs a plurality (I think), that's not going to happen unless MPs cross party lines.

Wasn't there a snap election sort of recently?

When the Scottish guy was PM for Labour?

Or maybe there was just talk if it.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:31 pm

The last time there was a Prime Minister from Scotland was in 2010 and Gordon Brown hadn't quite gone to the last Thursday but he wasn't far off.

Since then there have been two Tories who became Prime Minister one of whom was only elected by Tory party members - de Pfeffle the Clown - and one of whom wasn't elected by anyone because all her opponents for the Tory party leadership (including de Pfeffle the Clown) thoughtfully stabbed each other in back during the leadership campaign giving her a clear run.

In theory there is nothing to stop any MP becoming Prime Minister provided he or she has the confidence of the House of Commons. Strange as it may sound the PM doesn't even have to be a member of House of Commons although the last PM not sit in the commons was Lord Salisbury at the start of the 20th century.

By 1940 when many had expected Lord Halifax to become both Conservative Leader and Prime Minister the convention that the Prime Minister should sit in the Commons was firmly established.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:59 pm

And it piles on. I know that abuse is rife on the whip circuit, who can forget the picture of the former fireplace salesman Frank Spencer Gavin Williamson MP brandishing his lickle red book of sekrets and an actual whip?

Word is that he's about to be elevated to the Lords despite his total incompetence in public office and probably down to the book, personally I'd be more worried about getting Epstiened in this political atmosphere :ooer:

Threatening to dish the dirt on your perversions is on a whole different level to withholding funding from vital projects such as new schools in your constituency and that is blackmail against the people rather than the subject.

In my view.
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to UK News