Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:13 pm

Stitched upper lip...
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: After Brexit #2

Postby Maddog » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Stooo wrote:

Stitched upper lip...

What you need to do is see which countries are heavily reliant on gas to create energy.

But that would require you to challenge your own biases.

You don't do that. You're a one trick poney.
Maddog

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:27 pm

Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Stitched upper lip...

What you need to do is see which countries are heavily reliant on gas to create energy.

But that would require you to challenge your own biases.

You don't do that. You're a one trick poney.

The problem is a combination of us being over reliant on certain forms of renewable energy which have fallen short, global wholesale price rises and wranglings between Russia & the EU apparently.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Maddog » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:30 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... rgy-crisis

Not a single mention of Brexit.

Might be educational for a few folks to read this, assuming they want more information.

Fuck me, I'm sitting here in Texas amd spent a few minutes reading and was up to speed on the problem.

It's not that different than what we experienced last winter, although we don't have gas shortages. We were just more reliant on gas and it froze in our pipelines.
Maddog

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:37 pm

Maddog wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/21/what-caused-the-uks-energy-crisis

Might be educational for a few folks to read this, assuming they want more information.

Fuck me, I'm sitting here in Texas amd spent a few minutes reading and was up to speed on the problem.

It's not that different than what we experienced last winter, although we don't have gas shortages. We were just more reliant on gas and it froze in our pipelines.

Yes, but if we had remained in the EU our position would have been better as the collective power of the bloc would have meant less reliance on having to go to the global marketplace at a time of restricted supply and high prices to take whatever we can get.

I think that was part of the original point the Guest was making - not caused by Brexit but made worse by it.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Maddog » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Maddog wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/21/what-caused-the-uks-energy-crisis

Yes, but if we had remained in the EU our position would have been better as the collective power of the bloc would have meant less reliance on having to go to the global marketplace at a time of restricted supply and high prices to take whatever we can get.

I think that was part of the original point the Guest was making - not caused by Brexit but made worse by it.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ply-crunch

This fire would have happened regardless.

The one thing that the UK needs is more gas storage.

But that's a fossil fuel amd Greta might call out the UK if they were to build such evil things.
Maddog

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:57 pm

Maddog wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

But that's a fossil fuel amd Greta might call out the UK if they were to build such evil things.

Or nuclear or a reliable source of renewable energy.

The world's first trillionaire will be the person who can crack the energy issue in a time of climate change.
Last edited by Avon Barksdale on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Maddog » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:57 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... jor-u-turn

And basing your energy production on a product you won't even drill for isn't a great move either.

Perhaps Brexit has a miniscule effect on gas prices, but I'm not really sure how. The cure is pretty simple, but probably not politically feasible any more..
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:59 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

The world's first trillionaire will be the person who can crack the energy issue in a time of climate change.

Yes, the French have it figured out. They will use reliable, nuclear energy until that trillionaire and her technology comes along.
Maddog

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 pm

Maddog wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/02/fracking-banned-in-uk-as-government-makes-major-u-turn

And basing your energy production on a product you won't even drill for isn't a great move either.

Perhaps Brexit has a miniscule effect on gas prices, but I'm not really sure how. The cure is pretty simple, but probably not politically feasible any more..

Doubt any Government will resurrect fracking any time soon, Labour or Conservative.

That argument is effectively over in the UK.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:02 pm

Maddog wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

Yes, the French have it figured out. They will use reliable, nuclear energy until that trillionaire and her technology comes along.

Yep, pretty much.

Energy is going to be a huge issue politically. I wonder which country in the Middle East has massive deposits of lithium carbonate and how that will change geo-politics...
Avon Barksdale

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:Yep, pretty much.

Energy is going to be a huge issue politically. I wonder which country in the Middle East has massive deposits of lithium carbonate and how that will change geo-politics...

Afghanistan for a start, transportation is another issue that may cause war.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:08 pm

In November 2015, National Grid asked Vivid Economics to provide an assessment of the impact of leaving the EU (“Brexit”) on the UK’s energy sector, focusing on the impact of potentially leaving the Internal Energy Market (IEM). This report found that the overall impacts of Brexit on the energy sector are likely to be negative. Any potential benefits of Brexit are likely to be limited, given that the UK is committed to decarbonisation and air quality targets equal to or greater than EU requirements.

In March 2016, Vivid Economics published a note on the impact of Brexit on the UK energy sector, building on our work for National Grid and including a deeper discussion of potential impacts beyond departure from the IEM. This broader assessment found that the increase in the cost of investment due to the uncertainty arising from Brexit negotiations could also be a significant cost, given that the UK is undertaking a historic level of investment in energy infrastructure.

https://www.vivideconomics.com/casestud ... gy-sector/

There is a link to the report on that page.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:11 pm

Stooo wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:Yep, pretty much.

Afghanistan for a start, transportation is another issue that may cause war.

And Iran, fuelling (pardon the pun) Western concerns about an Iran / China / Russia axis.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Maddog » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Stooo wrote:
In November 2015, National Grid asked Vivid Economics to provide an assessment of the impact of leaving the EU (“Brexit”) on the UK’s energy sector, focusing on the impact of potentially leaving the Internal Energy Market (IEM). This report found that the overall impacts of Brexit on the energy sector are likely to be negative. Any potential benefits of Brexit are likely to be limited, given that the UK is committed to decarbonisation and air quality targets equal to or greater than EU requirements.

In March 2016, Vivid Economics published a note on the impact of Brexit on the UK energy sector, building on our work for National Grid and including a deeper discussion of potential impacts beyond departure from the IEM. This broader assessment found that the increase in the cost of investment due to the uncertainty arising from Brexit negotiations could also be a significant cost, given that the UK is undertaking a historic level of investment in energy infrastructure.

https://www.vivideconomics.com/casestud ... gy-sector/

There is a link to the report on that page.

Yes, you're doing a better job at decarbonization.

It comes at a price the Germans are not yet paying.
Maddog

PreviousNext

Return to UK News