UK holiday prices

Re: UK holiday prices

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Only to visit them

Let me know if you ever want to visit N Texas and would like to pay more to stay in the shitty areas than the nice areas. We can work something out.

:thumbsup:
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:25 pm

Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:
I would need to see recent rents from the area and what other properties are being listed at.

If it's way out of line, it will never get rented.

Or as we say in the real estate business when describing overpriced listings , the sign will rot in the yard.

Rents are pretty high due to the AirBnB influx from second homers and although pretty the place has been in decline for a long time now, unsold properties have traditionally accidentally burned down on Nov 5th.

If the area is in decline, what's the draw?

Why would a drop a chunk of change to stay there?.

The pretty bits are very pretty and are in very wealthy areas, the rise of the middle class and gentrification in the form of second homers who will buy a flat for a holiday leaving it with little local investment in the mean time. Many small villages in Cornwall died off after incomers bought out locals and in turn ruined the local communities. I'm sure that you will argue that it's a choice but when you're in one of the most deprived areas of Europe what exactly is your choice in 2021?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:41 pm

Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:
I would need to see recent rents from the area and what other properties are being listed at.

If it's way out of line, it will never get rented.

Or as we say in the real estate business when describing overpriced listings , the sign will rot in the yard.

Rents are pretty high due to the AirBnB influx from second homers and although pretty the place has been in decline for a long time now, unsold properties have traditionally accidentally burned down on Nov 5th.

If the area is in decline, what's the draw?

Why would a drop a chunk of change to stay there?.

The pretty bits are very pretty and are in very wealthy areas, the rise of the middle class and gentrification in the form of second homers who will buy a flat for a holiday leaving it with little local investment in the mean time. Many small villages in Cornwall died off after incomers bought out locals and in turn ruined the local communities. I'm sure that you will argue that it's a choice but when you're in one of the most deprived areas of Europe what exactly is your choice in 2021?

I guess your choice is to adapt to the new realities of the economic situation in the area.

There are plenty of places that are in decline,, without the outside investment into the area. They are worse off.
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:48 pm

Maddog wrote:I guess your choice is to adapt to the new realities of the economic situation in the area.

There are plenty of places that are in decline,, without the outside investment into the area. They are worse off.

These are also our gardens and fisheries, areas that rely on low paid and highly productive labour. The pretty bits ain't worth shit on a night like this but the crop needs to come in. Sadly there is no-one to harvest the crop so it rots and there is no-one to sell the fish to now.

I suppose you could turn it all into a theme park but where do you house the workers and where is the chance for people who want to do more?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:12 pm

Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:I guess your choice is to adapt to the new realities of the economic situation in the area.

These are also our gardens and fisheries, areas that rely on low paid and highly productive labour. The pretty bits ain't worth shit on a night like this but the crop needs to come in. Sadly there is no-one to harvest the crop so it rots and there is no-one to sell the fish to now.

I suppose you could turn it all into a theme park but where do you house the workers and where is the chance for people who want to do more?

This sounds like a place where the residents have pretty good jobs, as there is no need for them to take the shitty ones.

My kid got married in Vail, Colorado two years ago. I noticed a lot of young Europeans working in the shops.

Not the same situation as Vail is not a shit area but a global destination for travel. But that demand has driven the prices up so much that you can't really afford to live there unless you're pretty high up the economic ladder. So they draw workers from other towns in the area, that no one really visits much, and where prices are more reasonable. Still very beautiful places. And they import young Europeans that will stay in a small room to spend a summer or winter in a resort town in Colorado.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:16 pm

So now you're educating Stoo about Cornwall.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:So now you're educating Stoo about Cornwall.

No, I discussed a similar situation I observed in Vail..
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Maddog wrote:This sounds like a place where the residents have pretty good jobs, as there is no need for them to take the shitty ones.

My kid got married in Vail, Colorado two years ago. I noticed a lot of young Europeans working in the shops.

Not the same situation as Vail is not a shit area but a global destination for travel. But that demand has driven the prices up so much that you can't really afford to live there unless you're pretty high up the economic ladder. So they draw workers from other towns in the area, that no one really visits much, and where prices are more reasonable. Still very beautiful places. And they import young Europeans that will stay in a small room to spend a summer or winter in a resort town in Colorado.

There is a place just like that at the Eden Project. Clay country in Cornwall has declined dramatically since the collapse of the tin mines and a progressive attitude has pulled some of the area out of the mire, I'm not sure how they are going to do the same with fishing and farming communities.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:43 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:So now you're educating Stoo about Cornwall.

No, I discussed a similar situation I observed in Vail..

Not so much.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:31 pm

Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:This sounds like a place where the residents have pretty good jobs, as there is no need for them to take the shitty ones.

There is a place just like that at the Eden Project. Clay country in Cornwall has declined dramatically since the collapse of the tin mines and a progressive attitude has pulled some of the area out of the mire, I'm not sure how they are going to do the same with fishing and farming communities.

Sounds like Leadville. I spent a week there last summer. It never went back to what this 20 year old article describes, but it's a neat little town that adapted and persevered...............

"The ensuing Leadville boom produced a city of 20,000 overnight, perched two miles above sea level and soon served by three railroads, an opera house, 112 saloons and hundreds of working girls.

Silver prices collapsed in 1893. So Leadville turned to zinc, lead and gold. When those metals faltered with the Great Depression and World War II, Climax Molybdenum arrived to open one of the largest underground mines in the world.

In 1980, Climax employed 3,000, and ore reserves were deemed sufficient for another 32 years of round-the-clock production. But by 1982, molybdenum - a little-known metal which hardens steel - had dropped from $18 a pound to $3.

Climax closed its portals. The assessed valuation of Lake County dropped from $250 million to less than $50 million, and a third of the county's 9,000 residents moved away."

https://www.hcn.org/issues/148/4782

For the record, I think my week in a room of an AirBnB was about $500.
Maddog

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:02 pm

Second homes have been devastating parts of Wales for years.
The houses are only occupied a few months each year meaning the corner shop the butcher the post office the pub has no fucking customers because most of the houses are empty 9 months of they year.
Same is happening in Yorkshire Cumbria and elsewhere.
Eat the rich is sounding more and more sensible by the day.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Maddog » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:04 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Second homes have been devastating parts of Wales for years.
The houses are only occupied a few months each year meaning the corner shop the butcher the post office the pub has no fucking customers because most of the houses are empty 9 months of they year.

A.second home is only a problem if it displaces a resident .

If there are 100 resident home owners in Rollupland, and 10 Texans show up and build 10 2nd homes, that's not a problem. You still have your 100 homeowners and the bonus of some Texans popping into town throwing around some cash now amd then. Also, the vacation home owners won't require services like schools, but still pay propeerty and other taxes...
Maddog

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:16 am

Maddog wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Second homes have been devastating parts of Wales for years.

If there are 100 resident home owners in Rollupland, and 10 Texans show up and build 10 2nd homes, that's not a problem. You still have your 100 homeowners and the bonus of some Texans popping into town throwing around some cash now amd then. Also, the vacation home owners won't require services like schools, but still pay propeerty and other taxes...

Sadly that isn't how it works.
Nothing new is built.
Taffy dog can't afford a house where he grew up because the Londoner's showed up and offered more than taffydog could afford.
This pushes the price up on all the other properties so Taffydog has to leave.
The village is slowly filling up with empty houses, very nice houses but empty.
The shop has to close and the pub and the post office. The school went years ago along with the doctors surgery.
No busses run anymore.
The old people of course have been left behind.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Maddog » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:36 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Sadly that isn't how it works.
Nothing new is built.
Taffy dog can't afford a house where he grew up because the Londoner's showed up and offered more than taffydog could afford.
This pushes the price up on all the other properties so Taffydog has to leave.
The village is slowly filling up with empty houses, very nice houses but empty.
The shop has to close and the pub and the post office. The school went years ago along with the doctors surgery.
No busses run anymore.
The old people of course have been left behind.

I guess that could be happening. What I see in the rural areas around here is that the kids see no future and leave for the big cities. Texas is the fastest growing state in the country, but many of our smaller towns are drying up, except for the old people and the handful of young ones that are fine working at Walmart.

And no one from the big city wants a second home there either. A ranch maybe, but not a home. Prices in these areas are pretty cheap which is reflective of the low wages. .

I always hear chatter in the business about outside investors coming into areas and driving prices up. It doesn't really happen much. Folks look for outsiders to blame for changes in their local markets. It's usually down to the area being either more or less desirable than it used to, and the reaction to that from the locals.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:49 am

In the end it's all about yield.

If in your picturesque rural setting an absent owner can get as much for letting a holiday home for roughly 20 weeks a year as they can get for giving a family a permanent home all year round, and still have those extra 32 weeks to make some spare change or give short stays as gifts, then that's what they will do.

If one person is doing that it isn't a problem. It can even be a benefit bringing in much needed trade and tourism for a time. Then the becomes a seasonal tourist destination and soon there isn't enough year round demand to support that idyllic little pub or the quaint post office that was so charming. With the facilities gone the absent owners sell up for whatever they can get and move their money elsewhere having drained that particular location dry. Rule one is always money doesn't care.
Cactus Jack

PreviousNext

Return to UK News