Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Re: Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Postby Stooo » Sat May 27, 2023 5:16 pm

Holly wrote:Let me ask you Stooo, what would you do without Twitter?
You're so angry that Musk bought it, yet you can't stay away.
Would you be happy if Musk crashes Twitter and it disappears?

I've got Dogs and Reddit which I've been active on for far longer :bum:

I joined Twitter in 2012 in order to follow Budgie and forgot about it until 2016 when I got politically active again and found it an easy format to use. All sorts post on there and I follow a lot of journos and politicians as well as close friends and random celebs. The joy is in commenting and getting a reply, a like or a follow sometimes from a person in the public eye which will amplify your opinion, all of a sudden you're not shouting into the void for once but it was always rule driven yet unregulated, Musk wants to stop the spontaneity and install order just because he's a massive controlling cunt.

I've built other online avenues for my political activism that are still open to comment but the flat platform that Twitter was will not be replicated. He is killing it because he can.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon May 29, 2023 8:13 am

Can anyone find any information about how QElon has done raising the $3 billion it needed to service it's debt?

Back in January Musk was claiming he would easily find new investors and but other than a quote saying he doesn't mind losing money on the Twitter acquisition, which was more tied in to the value of Twitter dropping from $44 billion to $20 billion, I haven't been able to see anything else.

A company that has halved in value, eliminated the only audience that actually spends money so has no value for advertising, has lost around 30% of its revenue and is likely to be much more restricted in what data it can gather and share wouldn't be my first choice as an investment opportunity

We all know Musk has to keep control until he can make sure every bit of evidence of his SEC crimes is gone, and if that means making Twitter a safe space for Holocaust deniers, child groomers and paedophiles that's just what will have to happen - because better your kid gets kidnapped and killed than he be held accoutable - but I can't see why anyone else would want to invest in a toxic cesspool.
Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:31 pm

I've notice that Elon's latest 'genius move' is to insist on a Twitter account before you can see even unverified content.

Well done Elon, you've alienated the people who generate the audience, you've driven off most casual creators and now you've prevented the mildly curious from being exposed to the content and - more importantly from a revenue point of view - the adverts they might otherwise see.

I wish I had been in the meeting where that was decided, it shows a level of natural stupidity that is sufficiently rare as to be worth witnessing just for the shits and giggles.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:36 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I've notice that Elon's latest 'genius move' is to insist on a Twitter account before you can see even unverified content.

Well done Elon, you've alienated the people who generate the audience, you've driven off most casual creators and now you've prevented the mildly curious from being exposed to the content and - more importantly from a revenue point of view - the adverts they might otherwise see.

I wish I had been in the meeting where that was decided, it shows a level of natural stupidity that is sufficiently rare as to be worth witnessing just for the shits and giggles.

Narrator: 'There was no meeting...'
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cobs » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:26 am

Threads. A novel idea, could this be the zuckerpunch..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66112648
Cobs

Postby Jason » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:23 am

Cobs wrote:Threads. A novel idea, could this be the zuckerpunch..

It's a smart move from Zuckerberg, especially to link it to Instagram because it essentially comes pre-loaded with a huge userbase from launch.

Bluesky have been invite-only for months and don't look any closer to launching and Threads could certainly take a sizeable chunk out of anyone thinking about using them.

I tried Threads this morning and uninstalled it pretty quickly. Bluesky is a lot cleaner and looks a lot more like Twitter as well. I got on to it last night and it's got some reasonably well known names already.
Jason

Postby Stooo » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:35 pm

Jason wrote:

It's a smart move from Zuckerberg, especially to link it to Instagram because it essentially comes pre-loaded with a huge userbase from launch.

Bluesky have been invite-only for months and don't look any closer to launching and Threads could certainly take a sizeable chunk out of anyone thinking about using them.

I tried Threads this morning and uninstalled it pretty quickly. Bluesky is a lot cleaner and looks a lot more like Twitter as well. I got on to it last night and it's got some reasonably well known names already.

I've got a FB account that I haven't used for years and I think that I have an Insta but the only Meta thing that I use is WhatsApp for work and family and I really don't want anything bleeding over which is stopping me from trying Threads.

I'm going to wait for Bluesky before I quit Twitter.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:03 pm

Stooo wrote:
Jason wrote:

I've got a FB account that I haven't used for years and I think that I have an Insta but the only Meta thing that I use is WhatsApp for work and family and I really don't want anything bleeding over which is stopping me from trying Threads.

I'm going to wait for Bluesky before I quit Twitter.

I read earlier that if you activate your account in threads, you can't delete it without deleting your entire instagram account as well.

I'm not much of a social media user of anything really but I'm finding I'm actually using Bluesky. I don't know when I'll start getting invite codes but I can sort you out with one if you're interested.
Jason

Postby Stooo » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:16 pm

Jason wrote:I read earlier that if you activate your account in threads, you can't delete it without deleting your entire instagram account as well.

I'm not much of a social media user of anything really but I'm finding I'm actually using Bluesky. I don't know when I'll start getting invite codes but I can sort you out with one if you're interested.

Cheers I would appreciate that, it reminds me of when I bought a 1+1 phone when they first launched :laughing:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:35 pm

According to research from Media Matters, “within 24 hours of Threads’ release, rightwing and fringe figures signed up for the platform”, including white nationalist Richard Spencer, the former Breitbart writer, and white supremacists such as Nick Fuentes, an outspoken antisemite.

Fuentes, who has been suspended from Instagram since 2019, announced in a 6 July live stream: “I signed up for it last night. I made a fake Instagram. I got on a fake Thread.” He encouraged his followers to “try and build a big account. I mean, if you get in early, maybe some of you guys can blow up and red pill some people on there.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... es-sign-up

It looks like the loonies are already trying to derail the notion that threads will be a friendly and kind place.

TBH I don't see how it's possible to keep the purveyors of hate speech, misinformation and just plain shit-twattery away from anywhere they can get an audience. I'm a member of a group set up to talk about nostaligic television and while most members are happy to talk about Dr Who, The High Chaparral and Noggin the Nog with a certain misty eyed affection there are daily threads about how "woke" this or that show has become or how 'they' would never allow this or that show to be broadcast now - funnily enough often about shows that are on somewhere in the listings and often available for free on youtube if the writer was remotely interested in actually seeing the show.

Perhaps AI will make content moderation easier, perhaps that's why QElon has gone from AI advocate to AI alarmist, but I suspect (and feel free to pitch in on this Stoo) that haters are always gonna hate and trolls are always gonna troll.
Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:06 pm

This one is funny.

QElon is sueing the lawyers who forced him to buy Twitter because his attempt not buy Twitter had no chance of success.

Perhaps if he didn't have such a reputation for not paying his bills he would have a better case.
Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:30 pm

Donald v Elon?

I doubt it.

Like Trump Musk doesn't even pay his own legal bills let alone anyone else's
Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:47 am

It looks like other people are going to been to take up Musk's blank cheque offer.

Cactus Jack

Postby Holly » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:39 am

That woman could be bullshitting of course :roll:
It does sound made up.

If this would be a true story, she wouldn't add this kind of cynical comment, that it was the Trump campaign.
She would be grateful that Elon will pay her legal bills and leave it at that.

She would only post the name of her employer, if Elon would refuse after he offered.

Sorry, don't buy it.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:59 pm

He's still on about the fight with Zuck and needs an MRI before getting in the ring :shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to World News