Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:00 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63408384

Given the history of this deal no-one is saying it's a done deal but it must be very close.

And then the question becomes will Twitter survive - and I ask that as purely a business question.

Musk has notably changed his position from what he once described as 'Free Speech Absolutism' and now calls a 'free for all hellscape'. Over the months when he has gone from being a voice on Twitter to someone trying to make money from it commercial realities seem to have dawned on him and it's no longer even clear whether he will reinstate the accounts of people like Donald Trump, Alex Jones and our very own Katie Hopkins, does anyone remember her?

One of the better known cautions about freemium games and social media is 'if it's free you are the product' and that doesn't just mean us the casual Twitter users but also the likes of Beyonce, Rhianna, Taylor Swift and even Christiano Ronaldo who brings somewhere around 104 million eyes onto the platform. And whereas the followers of these celebrities are likely to buy expensive consumer goods and bring top dollar advertisers Alex Jones trial has shown his followers - whilst lucrative for him personally - bring people who will buy dehydrated meals that will last for 25 years and he brings lawsuits that can be ruinous.

The failure of Trump's 'Truth Social' and Parler, recently saved by a cash injection from Kanye West, isn't a guarantee that rivals to Twitter can't succeed. The continuing decline of Facebook shows that once favoured social networks can easily fall from grace.

Elon Musk may be faced with a choice between alienating his biggest cash cows to appease a vocal but financially insignificant market or doing the reverse.

Or he could still surprise us all and just back out of the deal again.
Cactus Jack

Re: Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:09 pm

Twitter is not forever, there will be something else until it's also bought out and another....

...you get my drift.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:22 pm

Quickly followed by;

Twitter is a commercial venture and the identity it creates, for good or ill, is what it sells to advertisers.

There was a time when MySpace was all conquering, when Facebook was the place you had to be and there are endless social networks ready to compete for the eyeballs of young, progressive, potential customers for all those advertisers out there.

Strange how all these Free Market people don't understand how a Free Market works.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:39 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Twitter is a commercial venture and the identity it creates, for good or ill, is what it sells to advertisers.

There was a time when MySpace was all conquering, when Facebook was the place you had to be and there are endless social networks ready to compete for the eyeballs of young, progressive, potential customers for all those advertisers out there.

Strange how all these Free Market people don't understand how a Free Market works.

It's just a forum and not unlike this one as well as every other social media site on the internet, because it's currently popular does not mean that the same people who make it popular will stick around after you fuck with it. Twitter became busier after Trump was banned and that will go if he's reinstated.

I have an idea for the next stage of internet drama after Twitter but I'm not going to tell ya! :gigglesnshit:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:43 pm

Stooo wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

It's just a forum and not unlike this one as well as every other social media site on the internet, because it's currently popular does not mean that the same people who make it popular will stick around after you fuck with it. Twitter became busier after Trump was banned and that will go if he's reinstated.

I have an idea for the next stage of internet drama after Twitter but I'm not going to tell ya! :gigglesnshit:

You're probably not going to rig the market for Cryptos to boost your personal wealth either.

You're no Elon Musk.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:53 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
You're probably not going to rig the market for Cryptos to boost your personal wealth either.

You're no Elon Musk.

True but when I smile at people they smile back, that's worth more than shitting billions down the bog because you've acted like a cunt and had a tantie.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:55 am

GM - Ford to the UK - has suspended advertising on Twitter following the takeover.

But more funny by far are those retweeting this picture to see how long it takes 'Free Speech Absolutist' Elon Musk to take it down.

Trolling someone on a platform they own - Maddog must be looking on with pride.
Cactus Jack

Postby Jason » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:00 pm

I see Katie Hopkins is back already. I imagine they'll all start to trickle back on to the platform now that the bans seem to have been lifted.

But then I wonder if it'll just end up turning in to somewhat of a parody of itself in a way. You could feasibly get so many people being as offensive as they could possibly be just because they can that maybe it'll just lose all meaning and people will start ignoring it and drifting away to another platform.

And this is probably the perfect time to start up another platform as well.
Jason

Postby Stooo » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:02 pm

Jason wrote:I see Katie Hopkins is back already. I imagine they'll all start to trickle back on to the platform now that the bans seem to have been lifted.

But then I wonder if it'll just end up turning in to somewhat of a parody of itself in a way. You could feasibly get so many people being as offensive as they could possibly be just because they can that maybe it'll just lose all meaning and people will start ignoring it and drifting away to another platform.

And this is probably the perfect time to start up another platform as well.

I posted an alternative in the Twitter thread.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:05 pm

Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:11 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/n-word-twitter-jumped-almost-122043804.html

Looks like people they're back

4chan mark two, that site doesn't make any money either.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:19 pm

Oh the ironing :shame:

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:28 pm

It's accelerating.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Dean » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:40 pm

Stooo wrote:

It's accelerating.

It’s all Bots according to Holly.
Dean

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:02 pm

Wasn't Elon Musk the one who got sued over calling Vernon Unsworth, one of the team that risked their lives to rescue a group of children stranded in a flooded cave in Thailand, a paedophile?

Didn't he then use his money to judge shop so he didn't have to pay out for the way he had defamed an innocent man to his over 22 million followers?
Cactus Jack

Next

Return to World News