4th Anniversary of 1st UK Lockdown

A right load of bollocks...

4th Anniversary of 1st UK Lockdown

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:05 pm

Share your memories of the first Covid lockdown here

Re: 4th Anniversary of 1st UK Lockdown

Postby Iteats » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:49 pm

Watching other people just carry on as normal and even having lockdown parties while others had to cocoon themselves due to health conditions really showed that the Great British Spirit is a myth.
Having to queue outside supermarkets/doctors/chemists was such fun :grrrrr:
Iteats

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:13 pm

Iteats wrote:Watching other people just carry on as normal and even having lockdown parties while others had to cocoon themselves due to health conditions really showed that the Great British Spirit is a myth.

People coming the opposite way along pavements body swerving each other very widely.
Seeing Italians serenading their neighbours from their balconies.
Being the only person on an otherwise empty train carriage.
Getting applauded by my entire street when returning from shopping at a “certain time” of the day :gigglesnshit:

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 pm

I stayed home so I missed the lockdown.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:31 pm

Only kidding.
I ignored most of the lockdown as did my wife.
We had print outs stuck in car windows explaining we had to care for others so had been excused by our surgery complete with phone numbers etc.
The supermarkets were mostly busy with arrowed floors and taped routes to follow.
The roads were as busy as always.
I had to go to Liverpool for a scan and was getting told repeatedly that the border between England and Wales had become more like a real border with police both sides of it checking vehicles to see if your journey was really necessary. That was a load of bollox as the roads were heaving and not a cop in sight either way on the journey.
Came out the tunnel into Liverpool city centre and the traffic was as dreadful as ever.
In fact I had to phone the hospital and say I was stuck in traffic ten minutes before Fazakerley and had been for twenty minutes.
Don't worry we know.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:41 pm

I was ordered off Colwyn bay beach by an irate young copper.
Me wife three granddaughters were the only people there apart from a dog walker half a mile away who was being approached by another copper.
We're getting the kids out of the house for a couple of hours safest place in the world here!
What if you lived in a high rise block?
But we don't and we're going to make the most of the fact that we don't.
No you're not!
How did you get here?
On the very busy roads in a sealed unit called a car.
I nearly got nicked but packed up and left... went to a different beach a couple of days later.
Probably three families where there would normally be a hundred.
I caught covid after about a year and am old with ailments but it was like a dose of flu.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Middens » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:02 pm

Time flies. On reflection it didn't do my health much good! I got into bad habits for a while. Only in the last year have I got back into regular exercising. :oops:
Middens

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:52 pm

I've done some rough calculations and I think the people I saw in the supermarket that week might just have finished the massive amount of toilet paper their trollies were loaded with.

Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:26 pm

I worked through it but it was odd. Work gave us all a letter to show that we were essential workers and it took a while for PPE to come through, I had a route in Taunton at the time and I remember a bloke yelling at me for not having any while I was working. I'd already had covid and couldn't be arsed to argue. The streets were very quiet and everyone was in so no 739's and I was overjoyed when the chippy on the corner of Salisbury St. re-opened, I was clucking for some proper chips :drool:

The silence was good, I had other things happening and was slightly less of a headless chicken.

I fucking hated the clapping.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Iteats » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:45 pm

Stooo wrote:I worked through it but it was odd. Work gave us all a letter to show that we were essential workers and it took a while for PPE to come through, I had a route in Taunton at the time and I remember a bloke yelling at me for not having any while I was working. I'd already had covid and couldn't be arsed to argue. The streets were very quiet and everyone was in so no 739's and I was overjoyed when the chippy on the corner of Salisbury St. re-opened, I was clucking for some proper chips :drool:

The silence was good, I had other things happening and was slightly less of a headless chicken.

When you're out and about in the open air what PPE would they expect you to be wearing?
Wearing gloves possibly but a mask would be pointless especially if your van is liveried as they'd know you're a postie.

As for the clapping, most of my neighbours supported the NHS by clapping then went straight back to the house parties they were enjoying.
Iteats

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:14 pm

Iteats wrote:Watching other people just carry on as normal and even having lockdown parties while others had to cocoon themselves due to health conditions really showed that the Great British Spirit is a myth.

What are those with health conditions doing now?
Covid isn't mentioned hardly at all now. It's carry on as normal even go to work if able :dunno:

It's good to see you back under another new name but back the same.
The reports of your demise were greatly exaggerated. Clever trick getting your wife involved in the con though :pmsl:

Postby Iteats » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:23 pm

Guest wrote:

What are those with health conditions doing now?
Covid isn't mentioned hardly at all now. It's carry on as normal even go to work if able :dunno:

It's good to see you back under another new name but back the same.
The reports of your demise were greatly exaggerated. Clever trick getting your wife involved in the con though :pmsl:

Who do you think I am, maybe ask a staff member on here if I'm a regen or a new member, when did I die and who is my wife? Maybe she can come around and do the cleaning and ironing.
As for those with health conditions, on a personal note one has died(not covid) and one is still alive.
Iteats

Postby Stooo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:31 pm

Iteats wrote:
Stooo wrote:I worked through it but it was odd. Work gave us all a letter to show that we were essential workers and it took a while for PPE to come through, I had a route in Taunton at the time and I remember a bloke yelling at me for not having any while I was working. I'd already had covid and couldn't be arsed to argue. The streets were very quiet and everyone was in so no 739's and I was overjoyed when the chippy on the corner of Salisbury St. re-opened, I was clucking for some proper chips :drool:

When you're out and about in the open air what PPE would they expect you to be wearing?
Wearing gloves possibly but a mask would be pointless especially if your van is liveried as they'd know you're a postie.

As for the clapping, most of my neighbours supported the NHS by clapping then went straight back to the house parties they were enjoying.

We ended up getting masks, gloves and hand gel (which is great to wash your hands with after an open air piddle) and we still have them available after I brought the matter up with the powers that be and it's helping to cut down on regular sickness, one good thing about the pandemic is that (most) people have learned that wearing a mask stops you spreading airborne viruses and wearing nitrile gloves is good when you've got a leaky box of god knows what.

I was living on a mad busy main road at the time and the clapping in the eerie silence usually filled by arctics, tractors and double-decker buses really freaked me out, especially after spending the day in some dystopian Stepford universe. Trippy as fuck :off head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:58 pm

Stooo wrote:
Iteats wrote:

We ended up getting masks, gloves and hand gel (which is great to wash your hands with after an open air piddle) and we still have them available after I brought the matter up with the powers that be and it's helping to cut down on regular sickness, one good thing about the pandemic is that (most) people have learned that wearing a mask stops you spreading airborne viruses and wearing nitrile gloves is good when you've got a leaky box of god knows what.

I was living on a mad busy main road at the time and the clapping in the eerie silence usually filled by arctics, tractors and double-decker buses really freaked me out, especially after spending the day in some dystopian Stepford universe. Trippy as fuck :off head:

Arctics as in natives from the Arctic?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:08 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Iteats wrote:

Arctics as in natives from the Arctic?

No, big lorries.
Stooo
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms