Watch Intuitive Machines’ Odysseus moon landing

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Watch Intuitive Machines’ Odysseus moon landing

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:54 pm

Holly wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
Holly wrote:How come they could send a manned spacecraft to the moon, even walk on it in 1969, yet 55 years later they only just managed to get an unmanned craft up there?

Are you a moon landing denier?

I am not sure how disputing or not disputing that would affect anyone tbh.

No, I'm not a moon landing denier, but I keep wondering why in 55 years, and all the progress made in space technology and science, we couldn't repeat the 69 moon walk.
Would be nice if someone could explain that to me.

It's dead simple holly... to send a machine to the moon is dead cheap compared to sending a Machine there that has humans on board with all the life support systems needed AND WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT IN SENDING PEOPLE?
tHERES NOTHING TO SEE THAT A MACHIONE CAN'T SEE AND TRANSMIT TO PEOPLE ON THE GROUND.
iF YOU'RE LOOKING LONG TERM FUTURE MOON EXPLORATION AND POSSIBLE MINING ETC THAT's WHAT THIS MACHINERY HAS BEEN SENT TO PREPARE FOR.To launch a space X rocket costs around HUNDRED MILLION POUNS IF YOU WANT TO PUT PEOPLE IN IT i'M GU8ESSING YOU'RE looking at a billion.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:55 pm

Holly wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
Holly wrote:How come they could send a manned spacecraft to the moon, even walk on it in 1969, yet 55 years later they only just managed to get an unmanned craft up there?

No, I'm not a moon landing denier, but I keep wondering why in 55 years, and all the progress made in space technology and science, we couldn't repeat the 69 moon walk.

Because financing wars is a priority.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:13 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Holly wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

It's dead simple holly... to send a machine to the moon is dead cheap compared to sending a Machine there that has humans on board with all the life support systems needed AND WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT IN SENDING PEOPLE?
tHERES NOTHING TO SEE THAT A MACHIONE CAN'T SEE AND TRANSMIT TO PEOPLE ON THE GROUND.
iF YOU'RE LOOKING LONG TERM FUTURE MOON EXPLORATION AND POSSIBLE MINING ETC THAT's WHAT THIS MACHINERY HAS BEEN SENT TO PREPARE FOR.To launch a space X rocket costs around HUNDRED MILLION POUNS IF YOU WANT TO PUT PEOPLE IN IT i'M GU8ESSING YOU'RE looking at a billion.

Yes, I guess that makes sense, I just thought by now they would have build a space station on the moon from where they could explore the universe a bit better.

This is an interesting read.

Why did we stop going to the Moon?

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/wh ... going-moon
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:17 am

Stooo wrote:
Holly wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

Because financing wars is a priority.

Elon has obviously enough money, but all his damn SpaceX rockets seem to explode.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:21 am

Holly wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Holly wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

Yes, I guess that makes sense, I just thought by now they would have build a space station on the moon from where they could explore the universe a bit better.

This is an interesting read.

Why did we stop going to the Moon?

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/wh ... going-moon

Sadly we don't have the technology to explore the universe.
Nearest stop is thousands of years away and we have no way of covering such a vast distance.
If we did what happens when we get to the next star only to discover there's no planets there that can support life?
Another million years to the next one that might?
We have no way of doing it.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:26 pm

And the victorians thought train speeds of more than 25mph could kill people.
Go figure.
Closed minds hinder human progress.

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:46 pm

Not yet! Agreed.
AI could solve the fusion problem, create new propulsion technologies, and take us anywhere.
To boldly go where no man has gone before.
I’m a believer. The Monkeys, clever band.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:03 pm

Guest wrote:And the victorians thought train speeds of more than 25mph could kill people.
Go figure.
Closed minds hinder human progress.

You're stating the obvious but for now we can't do it.
Is it fifty years away or a thousand?
If Voyager were to travel to Proxima Centauri, at its current rate of what twenty thousand miles an hour... it would take over 73,000 years to get there.
At the speed of light which right now is nothing more than a sci fi dream it would take four and a half years... even that currently looks impossible for humans to do.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:21 pm

The Voyagers have enough electrical power and thruster fuel to keep its current suite of science instruments on until at least 2025. By that time, Voyager 1 will be about 13.8 billion miles (22.1 billion kilometers) from the Sun and Voyager 2 will be 11.4 billion miles (18.4 billion kilometers) away. Eventually, the Voyagers will pass other stars. In about 40,000 years, Voyager 1 will drift within 1.6 light-years (9.3 trillion miles) of AC+79 3888, a star in the constellation of Camelopardalis which is heading toward the constellation Ophiuchus. In about 40,000 years, Voyager 2 will pass 1.7 light-years (9.7 trillion miles) from the star Ross 248 and in about 296,000 years, it will pass 4.3 light-years (25 trillion miles) from Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. The Voyagers are destined—perhaps eternally—to wander the Milky Way.
https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/interstellar-mission/
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:33 pm

There is an International Space Station already Holly. It's a combined effort. It is called; Soyuz.
Timothy Peake was the first British astronaut along with Helen Sharman.
Granted it is used to study space, not to drop off some Moonwalkers. Been there, done that, and there's no purpose to do it again.
We found out that humans could not survive there.

Why waste money doing it again, would be my question. Money that could be better used elsewhere. The likes of Elon and his ilk, will be the ones doing this sort of thing in the future. It will become a rich man's new thrill.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:36 am

Guest wrote:There is an International Space Station already Holly. It's a combined effort. It is called; Soyuz.
Granted it is used to study space, not to drop off some Moonwalkers. Been there, done that, and there's no purpose to do it again.

Why waste money doing it again, would be my question. Money that could be better used elsewhere. The likes of Elon and his ilk, will be the ones doing this sort of thing in the future. It will become a rich man's new thrill.

Are you the last remaining Neanderthal ? :gigglesnshit:

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:50 am

Guest wrote:There is an International Space Station already Holly. It's a combined effort. It is called; Soyuz.

How can the ISS be Soyuz? What a ridiculous thing to say!

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:16 pm

Guest wrote:

How can the ISS be Soyuz? What a ridiculous thing to say!

Google it you fanny...

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:03 pm

There was always a Soyuz craft docked to the ISS to be used as an emergency escape pod maybe not any longer though... Google it I can't be arsed.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:00 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:There was always a Soyuz craft docked to the ISS to be used as an emergency escape pod maybe not any longer though... Google it I can't be arsed.

Well done! Always a Soyuz docked to the International Space Station, or ISS, which is a large international collaboration space station - never ever referred to as Soyuz.
Mir and SpaceLab preceded the ISS.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms