There’s a giant ‘hole’ in the Sun

A right load of bollocks...

There’s a giant ‘hole’ in the Sun

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:55 pm

A giant hole appeared on the Sun’s surface this weekend, blasting solar winds towards Earth. The phenomenon, officially known as a ‘coronal hole’, isn’t actually a hole in the Sun’s surface
Well, as hot gases and solar winds escape through the coronal hole, the Sun’s surface beneath it becomes cooler and less dense than the areas around it.
And when the Sun is viewed in ultraviolet light, as in the picture below, these cooler areas show up as black – creating the illusion of a, frankly massive, hole in the Sun. In fact, this one is about the size of 60 Earths.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/there-s-a-giant-hole-in-the-sun/ss-AA1l6g1F?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=ead601e9cc644dc2b660e816cd7d68f2&ei=26#image=1
Apart from maybe the odd light show in the sky here and there and some possible electrical interference I think the most obvious effect will be extreme weather.
Rolluplostinspace

Re: There’s a giant ‘hole’ in the Sun

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:45 pm

Yet another of your misleading headlines, tsk tsk.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:46 pm

Guest wrote:Yet another of your misleading headlines, tsk tsk.

I used their headline but whatever you'll get over it I promise.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:26 pm

So the Sun is doing Sun things?

Slow news day...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:58 pm

Stooo wrote:So the Sun is doing Sun things?

Slow news day...

The reports of this have been running since the weekend not today.
The sun is doing spectacular sun things people quite far south might get to see some spectacular light shows and what isn't mentioned in any of the reports I've read is the huge effect it's likely to have on weather but that's because they'll be wanting that to be blamed on the trillion dollar business known as climate emergency.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:20 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Slow news day...

The sun is doing spectacular sun things people quite far south might get to see some spectacular light shows and what isn't mentioned in any of the reports I've read is the huge effect it's likely to have on weather but that's because they'll be wanting that to be blamed on the trillion dollar business known as climate emergency.

The most amazing thing about the sun at present is that the Parker space probe is unraveling its secrets and sending back lots of data that will take scientists many years to evaluate.
Not only that, as it continues to spiral in ever closer to the sun, it continues to pick up speed.
It’s already the fastest man made object in space, and will increase speed to 430,000 mph at then end of its mission. I hope it doesn’t hit anything :smilin:

Postby Stooo » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:41 pm

Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Slow news day...

The most amazing thing about the sun at present is that the Parker space probe is unraveling its secrets and sending back lots of data that will take scientists many years to evaluate.
Not only that, as it continues to spiral in ever closer to the sun, it continues to pick up speed.
It’s already the fastest man made object in space, and will increase speed to 430,000 mph at then end of its mission. I hope it doesn’t hit anything :smilin:

Like a massive star with impressive gravity?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:16 am

Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Slow news day...

Like a massive star with impressive gravity?

I’m sure it’s destined to do so, it’ll get vaporised in the scorching heat before it makes contact.
A coronal ejaculation :mrgreen: will probably take it out.

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms