Hello MonkeySocks

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Hello MonkeySocks

Postby MonkeySocks » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:16 am

Stooo wrote:
MonkeySocks wrote:4/10 See Me!! Must do better at this parenting lark :pmsl:

I'm just waiting for my company's pension provider to supply me with my figures. They're taking forever :grrrrr: Assuming it all comes together then cats is the way to go. I see myself as the local Crazy Cat Man! :mrgreen:

Sounds good but what's with scouring the archive all the time? Are you writing a book because I've thought the same about recording the rise of the RW in America, QAnon and where it all started and why.

I've always thought of something involving a discussion forum being portrayed as a musical with dramatic acting and funny songs, so obviously I'd be well up for it :laughing:

Nah. Nothing as exciting as writing a book. Just getting nostalgic for my major forum days (2010-2014). I'm enjoying looking back at the usernames I knew back then. I'm only a lurker here really but I recall many of the names and also references to DS and DTV users. I don't know much about the other forums that were in the 'local group' though.
MonkeySocks

Postby Stooo » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:00 pm

MonkeySocks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I'm just waiting for my company's pension provider to supply me with my figures. They're taking forever :grrrrr: Assuming it all comes together then cats is the way to go. I see myself as the local Crazy Cat Man! :mrgreen:

Sounds good but what's with scouring the archive all the time? Are you writing a book because I've thought the same about recording the rise of the RW in America, QAnon and where it all started and why.

I've always thought of something involving a discussion forum being portrayed as a musical with dramatic acting and funny songs, so obviously I'd be well up for it :laughing:

Nah. Nothing as exciting as writing a book. Just getting nostalgic for my major forum days (2010-2014). I'm enjoying looking back at the usernames I knew back then. I'm only a lurker here really but I recall many of the names and also references to DS and DTV users. I don't know much about the other forums that were in the 'local group' though.

The forum wars? Desperate times :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby MonkeySocks » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:57 pm

Stooo wrote:
MonkeySocks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

The forum wars? Desperate times :mrgreen:

The forum wars largely passed me by. I only really posted in DS Chatter and DTV but I avoided all the nasty stuff as that's not for me :doomed: . I did pop into Jezza's occasionally as a 'horse' and poke Steve a bit about his dead forum :pmsl: . It always amused me that they displayed "#1 this, #1 that" etc. on that site with its single-figure posts per week :mrgreen: . And what the hell was demanding allegiance to Praetorian all about? I've never encountered Jack from Jezza's but I'm aware of his work :off head: .
MonkeySocks

Postby Stooo » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:06 pm

MonkeySocks wrote:
Jezzaws
The forum wars largely passed me by. I only really posted in DS Chatter and DTV but I avoided all the nasty stuff as that's not for me :doomed: . I did pop into Jezza's occasionally as a 'horse' and poke Steve a bit about his dead forum :pmsl: . It always amused me that they displayed "#1 this, #1 that" etc. on that site with its single-figure posts per week :mrgreen: . And what the hell was demanding allegiance to Praetorian all about? I've never encountered Jack from Jezza's but I'm aware of his work :off head: .

Jezzas was a place filled with the worst of the DM, SOL and SKY forums but it was also tremendous fun. I was often banned and back in a different disguise (I still think that the best was Betty Swallocks) before becoming unbanned and 'promoted' to some bollocks with mod buttons. My first action was to make Rockstar a mod and the forum imploded with the nutters forming EoE.

I did some delving later and found out that Steve did actually have a software company of sorts and refused to answer my emails when I was pretending to be a Mosque chap wanting a website. Finding out that Jack was actually a 23 year old bus driver rather than a racecar legend was a bit of a bonus.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:02 am

Stooo wrote:
MonkeySocks wrote:
Jezzaws

Jezzas was a place filled with the worst of the DM, SOL and SKY forums but it was also tremendous fun. I was often banned and back in a different disguise (I still think that the best was Betty Swallocks) before becoming unbanned and 'promoted' to some bollocks with mod buttons. My first action was to make Rockstar a mod and the forum imploded with the nutters forming EoE.

I did some delving later and found out that Steve did actually have a software company of sorts and refused to answer my emails when I was pretending to be a Mosque chap wanting a website. Finding out that Jack was actually a 23 year old bus driver rather than a racecar legend was a bit of a bonus.

Rockstar was a mod on Jeezas??
I wonder how he's doing these days.

I wasn't on Jezzas, but I was on Sol.
Although it really was a toxic place most of the time, it also had its moments of fun.

I wonder what happened to all my "mates" from back then.

There were some really good eggs amongst them.
It's just not the same on Twitter and Instagram, it's not as personal.
True?
Holly
Site Admin

Postby MonkeySocks » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:23 am

Stooo wrote:
MonkeySocks wrote:
Jezzaws

I find this forum history stuff strangely fascinating.

You've certainly led an eventful forum life :smilin:. I'm impressed that you repeatedly managed to circumvent Jezza's 'systems' to re-register. They always gave the impression that detection of abuse of their 'systems' was second to none.

I prefer to fly below the radar although both my DS and DTV handles have warranted mentions here on Dogs - mostly in lists matching DS and DTV usernames. And no, I'm not going to divulge either identity :whistle:. Was you promoting Rockstar on Jezza's the catalyst for it becoming the graveyard it was in its final days? That's funny about Jack being so young and a bus driver. I had him down as a curmudgeonly middle-aged bloke. So Steve is/was actually involved with software professionally. Shame you couldn't coerce him into building a website for your Mosque :mrgreen:. I guess his prejudices run too deep.
MonkeySocks

Postby Stooo » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:48 pm

MonkeySocks wrote:
Stooo wrote:
MonkeySocks wrote:
Jezzaws

I find this forum history stuff strangely fascinating.

You've certainly led an eventful forum life :smilin:. I'm impressed that you repeatedly managed to circumvent Jezza's 'systems' to re-register. They always gave the impression that detection of abuse of their 'systems' was second to none.

I prefer to fly below the radar although both my DS and DTV handles have warranted mentions here on Dogs - mostly in lists matching DS and DTV usernames. And no, I'm not going to divulge either identity :whistle:. Was you promoting Rockstar on Jezza's the catalyst for it becoming the graveyard it was in its final days? That's funny about Jack being so young and a bus driver. I had him down as a curmudgeonly middle-aged bloke. So Steve is/was actually involved with software professionally. Shame you couldn't coerce him into building a website for your Mosque :mrgreen:. I guess his prejudices run too deep.

I don't give a crap who you were, it's none of my business.

Jezzas was a bog standard PHBB forum like Clair's and Ednas as well as here, he just made a huge meal out of stuff like backing up the forum to his server every now and then to make it interesting. When an actual rift appeared between the Hive and ordinary people Steve tried to exploit it by introducing a voting system for mods which led to queen Bee Shell and lefty hippy Fenella being voted in which then led to a further vote that got me modded followed by another which got Rocky in. The hive buggered off to EoE, FH, BF or Dogs (under assumed logins to pass me stuff or guest posting what actually was happening). It was always fractious between here and FH despite me being friendly with one of the admins but some of those people were loathsome. When I was bored I'd fire up an old T61 lappy running Debian and hit them with a Slow Loris attack for a couple of hours :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:56 pm

Holly wrote:
Rockstar was a mod on Jeezas??
I wonder how he's doing these days.

I wasn't on Jezzas, but I was on Sol.
Although it really was a toxic place most of the time, it also had its moments of fun.

I wonder what happened to all my "mates" from back then.

There were some really good eggs amongst them.
It's just not the same on Twitter and Instagram, it's not as personal.
True?

A lot came here, Daniel banned me for forum promotion in the dying days and NS asked him where else are people supposed to go and I got unbanned. :mrgreen:

The fact is that forums have had their day. Maybe they'll be an upsurge after Musk finally destroys Twitter (I have a link in my profile) but who knows?
Stooo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms