Titanic sub missing

A right load of bollocks...

Titanic sub missing

Postby .SF. » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:10 am

Whatever happened it sounds pretty grim. Presumably it operated so deep there was no communication possible between the submarine and the surface? So all very high risk.
.SF.

Re: Titanic sub missing

Postby Holly » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:27 am

.SF. wrote:Whatever happened it sounds pretty grim. Presumably it operated so deep there was no communication possible between the submarine and the surface? So all very high risk.

Apparently a seat on that sub costs £195,000 :yikes:

Do you think there's a possibility that they can be rescued?
Their oxygen seems to be running out fast.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:13 am

Probably a very stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway, why couldn't that sub have been attached to some kind of chain or cable?
OK I know, it would have had to be a very long one, like 3800 meters, but so what?
Holly
Site Admin

Postby HobbitFeet » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:34 am

Holly wrote:Probably a very stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway, why couldn't that sub have been attached to some kind of chain or cable?
OK I know, it would have had to be a very long one, like 3800 meters, but so what?

weight and physical size of the chain maybe?

Archie will probably know more about that, but it doesn't sound very practical
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby .SF. » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:17 am

Holly wrote:
.SF. wrote:Whatever happened it sounds pretty grim. Presumably it operated so deep there was no communication possible between the submarine and the surface? So all very high risk.

Apparently a seat on that sub costs £195,000 :yikes:

Do you think there's a possibility that they can be rescued?
Their oxygen seems to be running out fast.

It doesn't sound very hopeful. It's thought to be either on the surface somewhere or down at a great depth. There might be a glimmer of hope if it's on the surface but if it's down on the ocean floor their chances are presumably zero. It's a terrible thought that they might be alive, waiting for the air to run out.

The operation of the thing sounds pretty crude, it's steered by a Playstation hand control
.SF.

Postby Grafenwalder » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:15 pm

Current news updates make grim reading and a retired former navy officer described the submarine as "essentially a kit car built from parts you can buy off Amazon". Not exactly what you want to hear!

Even if they eventually find it the logistics of getting it back to the surface will prove extremely difficult. I hope it's successful but fear we may be looking at a recovery than rescue. After all, they haven't even located it yet.

https://news.sky.com/story/titanic-subm ... s-12905748

A CBS journalist who was invited on a dive;

phpBB [video]
Grafenwalder

Postby ArchieG » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:01 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Holly wrote:Probably a very stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway, why couldn't that sub have been attached to some kind of chain or cable?

You’re probably close. I have no experience of tethered subs, though they do exist. The problems are weight, the size of the stored tether as you say, and the drag it causes in the water. Once you get very long, it’s actually hard to find materials strong enough to support their own weight and drag. This has all the makings of a tragedy, sadly.
ArchieG

Postby Stooo » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:20 pm

ArchieG wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

You’re probably close. I have no experience of tethered subs, though they do exist. The problems are weight, the size of the stored tether as you say, and the drag it causes in the water. Once you get very long, it’s actually hard to find materials strong enough to support their own weight and drag. This has all the makings of a tragedy, sadly.

The early 1980's searches were tethered subs, the problem is that the cable becomes a sail and if the engines are anything like everything else that I've read about this vanity shitshow then it would become unmanageable at best, a blender at worse. There were no mechanical overrides, the thing operated from an on switch and a Logitec PS2 controller and all of the important stuff was outside and unrepairable; needless to say the billionaire operator (now entombed or imploded) was not keen on 'regulation' and this is what happens :roll: Even if all of the few precautions worked they're now bobbing along on the big empty in a sealed container that can only be opened after loosening 17 bolts from the outside...
Stooo
Site Admin

Titanic sub Titan lost at sea

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:21 pm

This is awful, I really don’t know what to say, apart from hoping beyond hope that they get rescued.

I’m also annoyed the yanks won’t let a British team with a submersible that could locate and lift the sub has been ignored by the Americans, who themselves are relying on a less capable submersible.

The French on the other hand are sailing full steam ahead with their rescue experts and vehicle citing the fact there’s a French citizen onboard. I admire that, we have more Brits onboard and should do likewise.

I’m just praying they get rescued, but what hope is there at the depth of the Titanic?

Awful news.

Postby common sense » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:48 pm

There was communication but it was lost about 1hr 45min in, about the time it took to reach the wreck.
common sense

Postby ArchieG » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:39 pm

On the positive side, if it had gone bang, or more accurately, pop, the US Navy would know. They run hydrophones all over the place but especially the N Atlantic, underwater microphones. They know what an imploding sub sounds like. It can be heard for hundreds of miles, underwater.
On the negative side, the sub has active sonar, the pinging noise from all CJs war films. You can hear that by sticking your head in the water, damagingly so if it’s close. Plus it has transponders and responders. Responders give an ID ‘ping’ when addressed. None of that is working.
ArchieG

Postby Stooo » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:43 pm

ArchieG wrote:On the positive side, if it had gone bang, or more accurately, pop, the US Navy would know. They run hydrophones all over the place but especially the N Atlantic, underwater microphones. They know what an imploding sub sounds like. It can be heard for hundreds of miles, underwater.
On the negative side, the sub has active sonar, the pinging noise from all CJs war films. You can hear that by sticking your head in the water, damagingly so if it’s close. Plus it has transponders and responders. Responders give an ID ‘ping’ when addressed. None of that is working.

This guy is the Jim Jones of submariners, it seems that it was only a matter of time before the Lego and Fisher Price things started to fail and something did.

ETA: More of a suck followed by a bang. :ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby ArchieG » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:04 pm

Stooo wrote:
ArchieG wrote:On the positive side, if it had gone bang, or more accurately, pop, the US Navy would know. They run hydrophones all over the place but especially the N Atlantic, underwater microphones. They know what an imploding sub sounds like. It can be heard for hundreds of miles, underwater.

This guy is the Jim Jones of submariners, it seems that it was only a matter of time before the Lego and Fisher Price things started to fail and something did.

All of his comms toys are just off the shelf jobs, it’s true, but not toys as in rubbish. We have a transponder, and forward facing sonar. 25 years ago, high grade military gear, now commercially available. I wouldn’t say cheap, but affordable for ordinary boat owners. Clearly, the rest of it, the actual boat bits, we have no means of guaging the quality. Shit happens to even the best. Just less often.
ArchieG

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:04 pm

Stooo wrote:

I was reading about the construction earlier today, it’s most unconventional, and directed by the surface ship using an onboard games console :kinell:
It’s truly awful to hear all this, but it must have passed necessary tests to be vouched to be seaworthy for its role.
We can but hope.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:08 pm

ArchieG wrote:
Stooo wrote:

All of his comms toys are just off the shelf jobs, it’s true, but not toys as in rubbish. We have a transponder, and forward facing sonar. 25 years ago, high grade military gear, now commercially available. I wouldn’t say cheap, but affordable for ordinary boat owners. Clearly, the rest of it, the actual boat bits, we have no means of guaging the quality. Shit happens to even the best. Just less often.

Agreed, White Star Lines comes to mind :ooer:
The Mary Rose and The Monitor too. :ooer:

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms