Strikes

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Strikes

Postby Stooo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:02 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:"Too much and too long.." what would you suggest, that they strike only between the hours of 2am - 4am on a Sunday once a month?

This government has already said they want to "modernise" the railway - exactly the same terminology used by Thatcher when she intended to crush the miners. The shower of shit 'governing' wrecking this country, (where is fatso?), don't help themselves when they have a fraudster and con-merchant as Transport minister.

This is different, this is pure Patrick Minford. It worked with a failing industry (coal mining) so it will work with thriving ones (Agri and fishing) but it hasn't. The Minford school of thought imports everything thus reducing the State's reliance on local production of goods. We have just cut ourselves off from the biggest and cheapest market in the world so how does that work?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:04 pm

What's really needed is a national strike... everyone out.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:09 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:What's really needed is a national strike... everyone out.

I agree but such an act would be illegal.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:15 pm

Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:What's really needed is a national strike... everyone out.

Maybe more reason too.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:20 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Maybe more reason too.

This has to be played by the book.

At the moment.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jra » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:47 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
jra wrote:Reflecting on the miner's strike. Personally, I think the miner's union made the problem worse by prolonging the strike to such an extent that pits were so flooded, they couldn't stay open any more or be re-opened.

Now. We don't want something similar happening with the rail unions and the railways.

Mass redundancies, line closures, station closures.

Thats exactly what will happen if the rail unions don't fight this government who want to take the right to strike away. I expect that from tin-pot dictatorships such as North Korea. They've chipped and hacked away at the NHS until it's at breaking point because they're desperately trying to privatise it. This dispute isn't just about money, [u]the unions are trying to secure their members future and save jobs in addition to a decent pay increase.[u]

If rail workers strike too much and for too long, the only future for them is redundancy, e.g. what happened to coal miners in the coal miner's strike. The government can take their strike rights away, if rail workers push it too far.

And I expect most regular travellers on the railway, particularly commuters, aren't going to give rail workers their support if their journey to work is being disrupted regularly by strikes.

I'm guessing you support the government and the private companies?

Nope. I'm looking forward to the formation of Great British Railways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Railways
jra

Postby jra » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:04 pm

ETA.

This effectively is a reversal of the privatisation of British Rail.

Privatisation of the railways did bring some benefits, but it was also a case of too many cooks spoil the broth.

As you know, Margaret Thatcher privatised many things, but she drew the line at the railways, unlike John Major.
jra

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:31 pm

1900 Unite employees at Felixstowe port have walked out on strike.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: ‘Felixstowe docks is enormously profitable. The latest figures show that in 2020 it made £61 million in profits.

‘Its parent company, CK Hutchison Holding Ltd, is so wealthy that, in the same year, it handed out £99 million to its shareholders.

‘So they can give Felixstowe workers a decent pay raise. It’s clear both companies have prioritised delivering multimillion-pound profits and dividends rather than paying their workers a decent wage."

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/21/felixsto ... i=17218148
Grafenwalder

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:59 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:1900 Unite employees at Felixstowe port have walked out on strike.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: ‘Felixstowe docks is enormously profitable. The latest figures show that in 2020 it made £61 million in profits.

‘Its parent company, CK Hutchison Holding Ltd, is so wealthy that, in the same year, it handed out £99 million to its shareholders.

‘So they can give Felixstowe workers a decent pay raise. It’s clear both companies have prioritised delivering multimillion-pound profits and dividends rather than paying their workers a decent wage."

Arriva, a German government subsidiary owns much of our railways and buses and the profits go straight into the German economy. Taking back control :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:36 pm

Stooo wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:1900 Unite employees at Felixstowe port have walked out on strike.

Arriva, a German government subsidiary owns much of our railways and buses and the profits go straight into the German economy. Taking back control :thumbsup:

Going well all this 'taking back control' stuff eh? :laughing:

Spotted this on Twitter a few days ago - classic!

Brexit; it's like two blokes about to appear on Bullseye who write off their car on the way to the studio, but go on to take the gamble and win a speedboat. But they live 150 miles from the sea.

They've won what they wanted but don't know what to do with it, and it's useless compared to what they trashed.
Grafenwalder

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:10 pm

The Germans French Dutch Spanish Chinese want to say thankyou to the British people for privatising their railways... here's just a few of them.

People wonder why I think we should nationalise all our utilities urgently.
Well these same people are making most of the money out of them...
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:16 pm

Old but.........

Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:14 am

Fair rises are a real bastard! :gigglesnshit:
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby HobbitFeet » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:01 am

good grief

barristers' are on strike now
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:07 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Old but.........

Both those clips are brilliant and certainly drive a strong message - whether it registers with some is another matter.
Grafenwalder

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms