The cost of living!

A right load of bollocks...

Re: The cost of living!

Postby Gabby » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:11 pm

Maddog wrote:
Gabby wrote:25p increase on a large Tesco chicken, compared to this time last week! :again?:

I just read that it's expected to peak in April over there.

Of course, this was by the same folks that said it would never get that high in the first place..

Economics is difficult in that once people start thinking a certain way, it's hard to turn the ship around. If people start spending like inflation is going to eat up their paycheck, it makes inflation even worse..

Just shopping for the same stuff is adding a few quid+ to previous shops…. gawd knows how those struggling already are gonna manage!! :shake head:
Gabby

Postby Maddog » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:23 pm

The European Central Bank has kept key interest rates unchanged despite record rises in inflation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/03/ecb-rat ... tion-.html

They are having the same problem in Europe.

So far they are leaving interest rates unchanged. It will be interesting how this all pans out.
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:27 pm

Gabby wrote:25p increase on a large Tesco chicken, compared to this time last week! :again?:

It's been happening for ages :woteva:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:29 pm

Gabby wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I just read that it's expected to peak in April over there.

Of course, this was by the same folks that said it would never get that high in the first place..

Economics is difficult in that once people start thinking a certain way, it's hard to turn the ship around. If people start spending like inflation is going to eat up their paycheck, it makes inflation even worse..

Just shopping for the same stuff is adding a few quid+ to previous shops…. gawd knows how those struggling already are gonna manage!! :shake head:

They won't, and people will die just like they did during austerity.

Do you ever look back to fifteen years ago and realise how awesome it was compared to this shit?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:35 pm

47 Kg gas was fifty quid now 67 quid in a matter of about three months or less.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:41 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:47 Kg gas was fifty quid now 67 quid in a matter of about three months or less.

Filled up the car to go to Chester at Xmas, seventy quid. Filled up mid January, eighty quid.

I'm noticing that a lot of people on big roads are sticking to sixty, I'm at seventy in the wagon but it's sixty in the car. :wink:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:08 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:47 Kg gas was fifty quid now 67 quid in a matter of about three months or less.

I just spend about 65 bucks for 20 gallons.

Since we're covered in snow and ice, there wasn't a line at the station like there was yesterday.

There is basically nothing left in Texas. It was all purchased the last two days before the storm.

We have idiots with 6 dozen eggs, 8 loaves of bread and 9 gallons of milk. :thud:
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:24 pm

Maddog wrote:

Since we're covered in snow and ice, there wasn't a line at the station like there was yesterday.

There is basically nothing left in Texas. It was all purchased the last two days before the storm.

We have idiots with 6 dozen eggs, 8 loaves of bread and 9 gallons of milk. :thud:

Don't you have a national grid?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:04 pm

For eggs? I don't know.

We have our own grid for electricity.
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:53 pm

Maddog wrote:For eggs? I don't know.

We have our own grid for electricity.

What happens when yours fails?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:19 pm

Same thing that happens anytime a system fails.

You fix it. But we have only had one time that I know of, where we had statewide grid issues. We are big enough with enough different weather, that we can move the electricity around to where it needs to be. With a population growing faster than any place in the US, the demands of all of those new Texans do strain the system. But it's a good problem I guess.

We live in an area with huge weather extremes. We do OK in spite of dealing with 100 degee days on end and temps plunging to near 0 F too. Throw in some floods, hurricanes and tornados and it's downright exciting at times around here.

You can't be the whiney sort and live here. We ask those people to move elsewhere where they will be more comfortable.
Maddog

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:30 pm

Maddog wrote:

Gas as in butane methane ya plank not fucking petrol as in petroleum!
Petroleum is not fucking gas except in America. :slap:
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Maddog » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:19 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Oh. My natural gas bill now is about 50 bucks a month.

It goes right on to my credit card so I really don't track it.

I wonder why we don't have unnatural gas? :more beer:
Maddog

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:13 am

Maddog wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Oh. My natural gas bill now is about 50 bucks a month.

It goes right on to my credit card so I really don't track it.

I wonder why we don't have unnatural gas? :more beer:

I live in a village with no mains gas so have to have bottled.
I have a little lean to thingy not far from the outside of the kitchen built by my wife which houses two 47 Kg bottles.
Two bottles a year on average do me for cooking that's all I've connected to.
I didn't actually need one yet as I have a full one plus a third connected up but the way it's going I figured it'll be a hundred quid a throw by the time I do need it or I might not even be able to get any so got one in just in case.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:44 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:Private Banks.

They created it out of thin air and will delete it when it's repaid.

Still nothing :flog:

Is this a case of you're dying to tell us?
If not Google is your friend too.

KK

All the debt issues by the government to pay for Covid - about £450 billion of it - was in effect bought by the Bank of England. The government owns the Bank of England. So Covid debt is owed by the government to itself. Why do we have to repay it then?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1490 ... 27809.html
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms