When racism dies out

A right load of bollocks...

When racism dies out

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:32 am

As it inevitably will one day. (Don't cry Viper.) What will we have lost?
Lady Murasaki

Re: When racism dies out

Postby traveller » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:05 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:As it inevitably will one day. (Don't cry Viper.) What will we have lost?

Why don't you prevail upon Doc Brown and Marty McFly to give you a ride into the future, setting the Delorean's controls for a trillion, billion years from now, find out what the people around then think of it ever dying out, then come back and let us know?
traveller

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:10 am

traveller wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:As it inevitably will one day. (Don't cry Viper.) What will we have lost?

Why don't you prevail upon Doc Brown and Marty McFly to give you a ride into the future, setting the Delorean's controls for a trillion, billion years from now, find out what the people around then think of it ever dying out, then come back and let us know?

Because that's just lazy. I'd rather just ask you. What will be lost?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Vam » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:41 am

Should this come to pass, we will have lost nothing of any worth.
Vam

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 am

Religion is the biggest problem around today. It surpasses these so called 'racial' boundaries. It will be the killer of the masses if left unfetted

Postby Lambert » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:13 am

You are making the common mistake of assuming that the nature of our species is evolving to a point where we will no longer do bad things.
Lambert

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:14 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:What will we have lost?

Human irrationality.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Whitebrit » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 am

You PC lefty lot will have lost the use of your favourite and frequently overused word?

What do I win? :smilin:
Whitebrit

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:17 am

Whitebrit wrote:

You PC lefty lot will have lost the use of your favourite and frequently overused word?

What do I win?
:smilin:

Membership of Dogs? :dunno:
McAz

Postby Keyser » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:30 am

Lambert wrote:You are making the common mistake of assuming that the nature of our species is evolving to a point where we will no longer do bad things.

This is true.

We are still essentially the same savage Pleistocene ape who conquered the world.

The veneer of civilisation is wafer thin.

The film 'The Road' is a realistic example of this.
Keyser

Postby Si_Crewe » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:04 pm

It'll never happen... and, TBH, I'm kind of glad.

Thing is, you'll only ever get rid of racism when we're all absolutely identical to one another in every way and, to me at least, that'll mean the world has become an incredibly drab and monotonous place.

So, that being the case, what we'll have lost (probably) is diversity.

Honestly, I don't think it's possible that we will arbitrarily stop being racist.
To do so would require that we abandon all rational, objective judgement as well.
I mean, some people simply ARE more suitable for a given task than others.
If you want to build a spaceship you MUST hire people who're good at maths and science. You can't just hire the first 100 people who walk through the door and hope for the best.
Similarly, if you need to build an army you MUST hire people who're physically fit and have an aptitude for the task.

That being the case in the vast majority of walks of life, there'll always be people who apply critical-thinking improperly and conclude that entire groups are better than others.
Si_Crewe

Postby Frank39 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
traveller wrote:

Because that's just lazy. I'd rather just ask you. What will be lost?

I'd guess that by saying travel a trillion, billion years into the future, then asking the people of that time if THEY think racism will ever die out, Traveller inferred that it would still be alive and kicking in the future.
I can't say what would be lost if racism died out, it's more a case of gaining if it did I suppose.
My own take on it is a bit like Chris Rock's HBO special, Bring the Pain, where he claims that there are two kinds of black people, regular black people, whom he likes, and niggas, whom he deplores.
He says there is more racism among blacks than there is among whites, he says that regular black people despise niggas more than whites do.
Niggas do the mugging and crime, and end every sentence with, "know what I'm say sayIn'?", regular black folks are then tarred with the nigga's brush.
Frank39

Postby Foxy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Another 'ism' will take it's place. We seem to need a reason to hate our fellow man.
Foxy

Postby Keyser » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Foxy wrote:

Another 'ism' will take it's place. We seem to need a reason to hate our fellow man.

It seems innate - we are a very tribal species with an inbuilt hatred of 'the other'.
Keyser

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:47 pm

after you have killed all there gods
maybe...
:thumbsup:
Big Fat Frosty

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms