Oh no, not spuds.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Oh no, not spuds.

Postby rollup » Mon May 23, 2016 10:08 am

luddite wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/438600/Eating-fat-is-good-for-you-Doctors-change-their-minds-after-40-years

I expect that being obese will soon be "good for you" :woo: :woo:

:WW: this I has nothing to do with my post, it's entirely gratuitous.

There were many a raised eyebrow over my high fat diet but not any longer.
rollup

Postby rollup » Mon May 23, 2016 10:47 am

ambient wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:Ooops - clumsy attempt to economise words there. :oops: Based on grading the severity of diabetes into mild, moderate or severe.
This could be the start of a new way of speaking... severe hypertensives, moderate myopics, etc. :ooer:

I'm assuming that you meant type one where you have to carb count as part of your regime.

Type1's are far more likely to reach the severe stage, than type 2's innit.
The latter can get by on just weight loss (more exercise) .. plus hypoglaemic drugs if lucky. No need for insulin.
But even the docs will admit that the distinction between the two is not as clearcut as made out previously.

Severe stage? :ooer:

My son's been type once since he was three, he's nineteen now. No talk from the diabetic team about a severe stage.

I have been Type 1 diabetic for 50 years now, as long as i can remember. Everything still working fine !

With good blood sugar control, no reason why your son cant lead a full, active and long life

I think I've seen Stooo mention his sons diabetes two or three times over the years and never a mention of it limiting the lad in any way.
rollup

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Rolly's diet has been on the news today, a doctor reckons this diet saves his Practice £45, 000 a year on his drugs bill. It's actually on the news right now in fact.

Postby luddite » Mon May 23, 2016 12:29 pm

rollup wrote:
luddite wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/438600/Eating-fat-is-good-for-you-Doctors-change-their-minds-after-40-years

I expect that being obese will soon be "good for you" :woo: :woo:

:WW: this I has nothing to do with my post, it's entirely gratuitous.

There were many a raised eyebrow over my high fat diet but not any longer.

I'm feeling a bit left out on this thread now as I'm 5'11", 13 stone and the only ailment I have is slight short sight in one eye and outrageous smugness. :snooty:
luddite

Postby Cleopatra » Mon May 23, 2016 1:16 pm

ambient wrote:Diabetes does not give you "sky high blood sugars", eating shit loads of "healthy carbs" does

Oh and incidently potatoes have a Glycemic Index of 85 (Glucose = 100), much better to have brown rice (50)

Brittle diabetes is a sub-type of type-1 diabetes, which is very difficult to control and can lead to many hospital admissions.
Cleopatra

Postby Text » Mon May 23, 2016 5:38 pm

rollup wrote:
ambient wrote:
Stooo wrote:

My son's been type once since he was three, he's nineteen now. No talk from the diabetic team about a severe stage.

I have been Type 1 diabetic for 50 years now, as long as i can remember. Everything still working fine !

With good blood sugar control, no reason why your son cant lead a full, active and long life

I think I've seen Stooo mention his sons diabetes two or three times over the years and never a mention of it limiting the lad in any way.

Yes, the posts you have quoted show two examples of diabetics whose sugars are always well controlled and they lead perfectly normal lives, and maybe the vast majority of diabetics are like that. :laughing:

BUT if you do any job allied to the nhs, like lab work, like I did at one stage, the diabetics you would encounter are not the well-managed ones, .... no, it's the unlucky ones at the other end of the spectrum, whose sugars are very poorly controlled. Some have had numerous crisis hospital admissions a dire state of emergency with blood sugars all over the place, having tried many different types of insulins - and having their insulin dosages increased repeatedly. Such people have also had many 999 call outs to paramedics, which did not result in admission.

I have also seen several cases of NEWBORN babies with serious blood sugar problems, inherited temporarily from their diabetic mums, and oh boy these babies keep teams of ward staff and lab staff busy right round the clock. It usually takes a week or so to stabilise these babies' glucose completely.
Text

Postby Text » Mon May 23, 2016 5:45 pm

luddite wrote:Agreed Canny, I eat what I like, not what "experts" say is good.

I've eaten butter for ever, even when "experts" said margarine was better.

Turns out that margarine is now "bad for you" :dunno:

Hiya. :Hiya: I saw spuds in the title, so I clicked on it, to defend the good old spud, and somehow we all ended talking about D. Mellitus. Funny how topics meander.
Text

Postby Stooo » Mon May 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Cleopatra wrote:
ambient wrote:Diabetes does not give you "sky high blood sugars", eating shit loads of "healthy carbs" does

Oh and incidently potatoes have a Glycemic Index of 85 (Glucose = 100), much better to have brown rice (50)

Brittle diabetes is a sub-type of type-1 diabetes, which is very difficult to control and can lead to many hospital admissions.

I'd not heard of that, I think that they call it 'poor diabetic management' now.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Mon May 23, 2016 6:00 pm

Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
ambient wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Yes, the posts you have quoted show two examples of diabetics whose sugars are always well controlled and they lead perfectly normal lives, and maybe the vast majority of diabetics are like that. :laughing:

BUT if you do any job allied to the nhs, like lab work, like I did at one stage, the diabetics you would encounter are not the well-managed ones, .... no, it's the unlucky ones at the other end of the spectrum, whose sugars are very poorly controlled. Some have had numerous crisis hospital admissions a dire state of emergency with blood sugars all over the place, having tried many different types of insulins - and having their insulin dosages increased repeatedly. Such people have also had many 999 call outs to paramedics, which did not result in admission.

I have also seen several cases of NEWBORN babies with serious blood sugar problems, inherited temporarily from their diabetic mums, and oh boy these babies keep teams of ward staff and lab staff busy right round the clock. It usually takes a week or so to stabilise these babies' glucose completely.

Again, poor management by the patient. I have read many times about teenagers who deny their condition and rebel by not using meds or glucose monitors and it results in blindness or limb removal at a young age.

Diabetes is a chronic condition that is treated through diet, meds and aided by some pretty good diabetic teams. In my opinion no-one but the patient is to blame for poor diabetic management unless that aspect of their care is controlled by someone else like Beverly Allitt.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby rollup » Mon May 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
ambient wrote:
Stooo wrote:

When I was first diagnosed T2 I had three emergency admissions with glucose readings to high for meter to calculate.
I was living on salad and nuts and yoghurt at the time.
Four different dsoctors over those three admissions said it was the statins I was taking. Two of them reckon it's probably the statins that led to me having diabetes in the first place. Straight in the bin with the statins.
I should be the last person to become diabetic. No binge eating no cake biscuits fizzy drinks etc etc none of the stuff you'd relate to your average diabetic. I was also very active at the time of my diagnoses and had been fourteen stone with nary a blip for over twenty years. Fourteen stone active and just under six three was pretty healthy. Statins should be and probably will be in a few years banned.
rollup

Postby malamute » Mon May 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Some people just do not realise how vital it is to manage their diabetes properly. I recently met a woman who has had T2 diabetes for about 15 years and ignored most of the advice she was given. She almost died recently because she got gangrene and has had everything between her belly button and her bum hole removed and I mean everything!! Six trips to theatre and countless skin grafts and weeks in intensive care. At one point she was not expected to last the night. Scary stuff!

Back on the spud topic ..... We had mash tonight! :canny:
malamute

Postby Text » Mon May 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
ambient wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Again, poor management by the patient. I have read many times about teenagers who deny their condition and rebel by not using meds or glucose monitors and it results in blindness or limb removal at a young age.

Diabetes is a chronic condition that is treated through diet, meds and aided by some pretty good diabetic teams. In my opinion no-one but the patient is to blame for poor diabetic management unless that aspect of their care is controlled by someone else like Beverly Allitt.

BIB - surely you're not laying the blame squarely on the shoulders of the patient alone? :dunno: It isn't your style to generalise like this. Has someone nicked your PW? Yes some patients are incompetent, and some youngsters rebel. But what about diabetics who are brittle, or those who have a degree of insulin resistance? Such difficult cases tax the finest minds amongst the medical profession and they still cannot find a solution, sadly.
Text

Postby Text » Mon May 23, 2016 7:28 pm

rollup wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
ambient wrote:
Stooo wrote:

When I was first diagnosed T2 I had three emergency admissions with glucose readings to high for meter to calculate.
I was living on salad and nuts and yoghurt at the time.
Four different dsoctors over those three admissions said it was the statins I was taking. Two of them reckon it's probably the statins that led to me having diabetes in the first place. Straight in the bin with the statins.
I should be the last person to become diabetic. No binge eating no cake biscuits fizzy drinks etc etc none of the stuff you'd relate to your average diabetic. I was also very active at the time of my diagnoses and had been fourteen stone with nary a blip for over twenty years. Fourteen stone active and just under six three was pretty healthy. Statins should be and probably will be in a few years banned.

Shows that diabetes is more complex than we imagine. I think many people admire the way you have taken charge of your own health, Rollup, and yours is a success story.

Yes statins are a dirty word. It's a total disgrace the way they are automatically forced on practically everyone, on the slightest pretext. (And btw people get tested for compliance against their will. So if you bin it, come clean, don't tell fibs that you still are taking it - cos the lab tests will reveal to your doc if you are being truthful. :wink: )
Text

Postby Keyser » Mon May 23, 2016 7:32 pm

For God's sake never go near this poison potato! :doomed:

Keyser

Postby Stooo » Mon May 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Canary wrote:
BIB - surely you're not laying the blame squarely on the shoulders of the patient alone? :dunno: It isn't your style to generalise like this. Has someone nicked your PW? Yes some patients are incompetent, and some youngsters rebel. But what about diabetics who are brittle, or those who have a degree of insulin resistance? Such difficult cases tax the finest minds amongst the medical profession and they still cannot find a solution, sadly.

I'm going by personal experience. Insulin resistance hasn't been proved and the brittle symptoms appear to be the result of poor management. Like most people I tend to get opinionated when the subject matter is close to home.
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms