Oh no, not spuds.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Oh no, not spuds.

Postby ambient » Sun May 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:Ooops - clumsy attempt to economise words there. :oops: Based on grading the severity of diabetes into mild, moderate or severe.
This could be the start of a new way of speaking... severe hypertensives, moderate myopics, etc. :ooer:

I'm assuming that you meant type one where you have to carb count as part of your regime.

Type1's are far more likely to reach the severe stage, than type 2's innit.
The latter can get by on just weight loss (more exercise) .. plus hypoglaemic drugs if lucky. No need for insulin.
But even the docs will admit that the distinction between the two is not as clearcut as made out previously.

Severe stage? :ooer:

My son's been type once since he was three, he's nineteen now. No talk from the diabetic team about a severe stage.

I have been Type 1 diabetic for 50 years now, as long as i can remember. Everything still working fine !

With good blood sugar control, no reason why your son cant lead a full, active and long life
ambient

Postby ambient » Sun May 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Canary wrote:Carbs are the only safe, healthy and efficient source of calories.

Not for a diabetic you dopey cunt

Canary wrote:I will ask Abs to take a look at this thread. As a diabetic, & well-read poster, she is excellent in threads discussing diet.
And i'm sure she will reinforce the message that dietary cals should come primarily from carbs.

I dont need some drippy cunt trying to tell me how to manage my diabetes, but thanks anyway
ambient

Postby Maddog » Sun May 22, 2016 8:25 pm

Canary wrote:
ambient wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
Canary wrote:Spuds on their own are very healthy, full of vitamins and non-fattening.
It's the butter/gravy/ sauce/ stew/casserole/ that we ADD to them, for palatability & 'lubrication' that's the problem, so ensure those are not too fattening

Ffs if you switched over from spuds to say, rice/pasta/couscous/polenta/cornmeal etc you would still need to ADD those things, for palatability.
The researchers are spouting crap.

All carbs are fattening Canny. Not good for diabetics either in large amounts.

Stop that! :slap:
EVERYONE (yes even severe diabetics) need carbs in their diet and there is NO WAY around that.
A certain % of our diet must be in the form of carbs - where else would you get your calories from, if not from carbs?
They will not fatten you unless your intake exceeds your energy expenditure (simple arithmetic).

From fats and protien ?
what is a severe diabetic BTW ?

Ah. I was waiting for someone to say "you can get your calories from fats and protein instead" ... and you bit.
Yes indeed you can. But you're not supposed to. It's dangerous to attempt to get your calories this way.
Carbs are the only safe, healthy and efficient source of calories.

Fats and protein can supply cals, but they bring too much baggage with them.
Eg with proteins, the nitrogen load would be too much of a strain on your liver & kidneys. The role of proteins is not to provide cals.
As for fats, they are simply too inefficient, and the waste products are harmful.

I will ask Abs to take a look at this thread. As a diabetic, & well-read poster, she is excellent in threads discussing diet.
And i'm sure she will reinforce the message that dietary cals should come primarily from carbs.

You can get all the carbs you need from green stuff. Carbs are very hard to avoid in western diets. Cutting potatoes from your diet would hardly leave you deficienct in carbs unless all you ate was meat everyday.
Maddog

Postby Text » Sun May 22, 2016 8:27 pm

Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:Ooops - clumsy attempt to economise words there. :oops: Based on grading the severity of diabetes into mild, moderate or severe.
This could be the start of a new way of speaking... severe hypertensives, moderate myopics, etc. :ooer:

I'm assuming that you meant type one where you have to carb count as part of your regime.

The latter can get by on just weight loss (more exercise) .. plus hypoglaemic drugs if lucky. No need for insulin.
But even the docs will admit that the distinction between the two is not as clearcut as made out previously.

My son's been type once since he was three, he's nineteen now. No talk from the diabetic team about a severe stage.

Clearly he is managing his diabetes very well. Let me rephrase my previous post in a different way....
If someone turns up in A&E in a so called 'severe diabetic crisis' with sky high sugars and ketones and a very acid blood ph, he is more likely to be a type 1, than a type 2.

There are loads of diabetics in forums and they are entitled to have the last word here.
I don't suffer from it so I'm happy to defer to those who do.
Text

Postby ambient » Sun May 22, 2016 8:38 pm

Diabetes does not give you "sky high blood sugars", eating shit loads of "healthy carbs" does

Oh and incidently potatoes have a Glycemic Index of 85 (Glucose = 100), much better to have brown rice (50)
ambient

Postby Text » Sun May 22, 2016 8:39 pm

Canary wrote:I will ask Abs to take a look at this thread. As a diabetic, & well-read poster, she is excellent in threads discussing diet.

ambient wrote:I dont need some drippy cunt trying to tell me how to manage my diabetes, but thanks anyway

You can call me whatever you wish. Whatever floats your boat. :dunno: I don't care.
but I don't see why you are abusive towards someone who has not even posted yet.

The only reason why I mentioned Abs name is because I felt she might enjoy this thread. You know, like you see an interesting thread, and you give someone a link.
She has participated in dietary discussions on here in the past years.
Text

Postby Text » Sun May 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Jeessus. I thought people only flung insults in politics and religious threads. I did not realise they did so even in food threads.
Text

Postby Text » Sun May 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Maddog wrote:
Canary wrote:
ambient wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
All carbs are fattening Canny. Not good for diabetics either in large amounts.

Stop that! :slap:
EVERYONE (yes even severe diabetics) need carbs in their diet and there is NO WAY around that.
A certain % of our diet must be in the form of carbs - where else would you get your calories from, if not from carbs?
They will not fatten you unless your intake exceeds your energy expenditure (simple arithmetic).

From fats and protien ?
what is a severe diabetic BTW ?

Ah. I was waiting for someone to say "you can get your calories from fats and protein instead" ... and you bit.
Yes indeed you can. But you're not supposed to. It's dangerous to attempt to get your calories this way.
Carbs are the only safe, healthy and efficient source of calories.

Fats and protein can supply cals, but they bring too much baggage with them.
Eg with proteins, the nitrogen load would be too much of a strain on your liver & kidneys. The role of proteins is not to provide cals.
As for fats, they are simply too inefficient, and the waste products are harmful.

I will ask Abs to take a look at this thread. As a diabetic, & well-read poster, she is excellent in threads discussing diet.

You can get all the carbs you need from green stuff. Carbs are very hard to avoid in western diets. Cutting potatoes from your diet would hardly leave you deficienct in carbs unless all you ate was meat everyday.

Surely it does not have to be potatoes. You can get calories from any other types of carbohydrates like wheat, corn or whatever.
Anyway defo gtg now. Nice chatting with you, madds.
Text

Postby Keyser » Sun May 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Everything in moderation - it's not rocket science. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby rollup » Mon May 23, 2016 12:13 am

Wheat isn't so good. They tampered with it in the sixties and produced the green revolution. It resulted in wheat belly you've all seen them and it also leads to a lot of allergies. Modern flour is over ground as well that it hardly resembles stone ground flour.
Bread isn't so good for anyone but I have some everyday as I love the stuff but no more than two slices a day.
All carbs are difficult for diabetics especially spuds rice pasta bread noodles. It's recently been discovered that if you boil rice or pasta spuds noodles then bung it in the fridge for an hour or even better overnight then recook it it has become a different kind of carb called resistant starch. Much easier for a diabetic to eat. Huge difference on the GI. Glycemic load is a much more up to date and more accurate measure than GI.
Spuds that are covered in fat/oil are nmuch healthier for a diabetic than boiled mashed baked because the oil/fat slows down the conversion to glucose.
I have amazed my surgery. I'm the only T2 there who isn't getting fatter and sicker and taking more medication.
My blood pressure is down my bad cholesterol is down good stuff up and my blood glucose readings which I have every six months instead of twelve because my doc is so fascinated by my results show an as good as reversed diabetes. I've had a few blips when I've had to take steroids a couple of times. Throws me right off.
I've slowly introduced more carbs back into my diet and doing very well and it really is thanks to this web site that started me off ...... http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
rollup

Postby rollup » Mon May 23, 2016 12:17 am

Like live yoghurt and want it fresh as in just this moment made?
Buy a tub of live full fat yoghurt.
Boil some milk let it cool to body temperature .... stick your knuckle in it should feel slightly warm. Stir a spoonful of the tub yoghurt into it. Put in glass or plastic container bung lid on stick in warm place. I have an old fashioned airing cupboard with a water tank in it so in less than twenty four hours I have a big tub of fresh yoghurt. Flavour it or not as you wish. Edited to add ... tub of live yoghurt should spend most of the day at room temp to get the bugs kicking.
rollup

Postby Keyser » Mon May 23, 2016 12:20 am

rollup wrote:Wheat isn't so good. They tampered with it in the sixties and produced the green revolution. It resulted in wheat belly you've all seen them and it also leads to a lot of allergies. Modern flour is over ground as well that it hardly resembles stone ground flour.
Bread isn't so good for anyone but I have some everyday as I love the stuff but no more than two slices a day.
All carbs are difficult for diabetics especially spuds rice pasta bread noodles. It's recently been discovered that if you boil rice or pasta spuds noodles then bung it in the fridge for an hour or even better overnight then recook it it has become a different kind of carb called resistant starch. Much easier for a diabetic to eat. Huge difference on the GI. Glycemic load is a much more up to date and more accurate measure than GI.
Spuds that are covered in fat/oil are nmuch healthier for a diabetic than boiled mashed baked because the oil/fat slows down the conversion to glucose.
I have amazed my surgery. I'm the only T2 there who isn't getting fatter and sicker and taking more medication.
My blood pressure is down my bad cholesterol is down good stuff up and my blood glucose readings which I have every six months instead of twelve because my doc is so fascinated by my results show an as good as reversed diabetes.
I've had a few blips when I've had to take steroids a couple of times. Throws me right off.
I've slowly introduced more carbs back into my diet and doing very well and it really is thanks to this web site that started me off ...... http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Good for you. :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby rollup » Mon May 23, 2016 12:30 am

Four slices of tomato about 1/4 inch thick.
Place on a pot of dirt.
Cover lightly in compost no more than an inch deep. Keep watered don't wash the compost off the top.
Within a week maybe two you'll have around forty baby tom plants growing. Separate out the biggest/strongest and plant where ever. Free toms!
Especially hot summer coming apparently so toms will grow really well.
Do the same with a couple of strawberries.
Slice the long sticks of celery off and bung in cool box in fridge.
The stumpy bit you're left with bung in pot of dirt keep watered within a week celery regrowing.
Carrot tops on a saucer at school?
Do that with the ends of your carrots when cooking.
Once the roots appear bung them in soil. You can grow carrots in old boots pots plastic bags whatever ... mix fifty fifty sand and soil for best results.
Leave a spud under the kitchen sink till it goes wrinkly looking like me.
Cut into four and place in dirt in four separate bin bags that have been rolled down to six inches in hight.
When greenery starts appearing cover in dirt leaving just a little greenery poking out to drink the sunlight.
Keep rolling the bag up slowly and covering the plant again and again. You should get around fifteen pounds of spuds per bag.
You can regrow many things like this.
I tried with a rasher of bacon but nope .... no pig.
A bit of common sense and you too can have a shit load of stuff growing even on a patio or the balcony of your tenth floor flat.
Fresh free food for very little effort.
rollup

Postby luddite » Mon May 23, 2016 7:34 am

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/hea ... r-40-years

I expect that being obese will soon be "good for you" :woo: :woo:

:WW: this I has nothing to do with my post, it's entirely gratuitous.
luddite

Postby rollup » Mon May 23, 2016 10:07 am

ambient wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I have been Type 1 diabetic for 50 years now, as long as i can remember. Everything still working fine !

With good blood sugar control, no reason why your son cant lead a full, active and long life

Is it the diabetes that turned you into a right miserable old bastard or was that the wife?
rollup

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms