Oh no, not spuds.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Oh no, not spuds.

Postby ambient » Mon May 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
BIB - surely you're not laying the blame squarely on the shoulders of the patient alone? :dunno: It isn't your style to generalise like this. Has someone nicked your PW? Yes some patients are incompetent, and some youngsters rebel. But what about diabetics who are brittle, or those who have a degree of insulin resistance? Such difficult cases tax the finest minds amongst the medical profession and they still cannot find a solution, sadly.

I'm going by personal experience. Insulin resistance hasn't been proved and the brittle symptoms appear to be the result of poor management. Like most people I tend to get opinionated when the subject matter is close to home.

T2 tend to be insulin resistant, so they produce a lot of insulin, but it's not going anywhere , eventually the pancreas wears out so they may need insulin or a drug that stimulates insulin production.

T1 can also become insulin resistant over time, so we do have “double diabetics”

Brittle diabetic is a bit more confusing, it's sort of a medical short hand for “you are fucked if you don't sort your shite out”, but a small subset of T1 find good blood sugar control impossible for some unknown reason
ambient

Postby rollup » Mon May 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
ambient wrote:]

I have been Type 1 diabetic for 50 years now, as long as i can remember. Everything still working fine !

With good blood sugar control, no reason why your son cant lead a full, active and long life

I think I've seen Stooo mention his sons diabetes two or three times over the years and never a mention of it limiting the lad in any way.

Yes, the posts you have quoted show two examples of diabetics whose sugars are always well controlled and they lead perfectly normal lives, and maybe the vast majority of diabetics are like that. :laughing:

BUT if you do any job allied to the nhs, like lab work, like I did at one stage, the diabetics you would encounter are not the well-managed ones, .... no, it's the unlucky ones at the other end of the spectrum, whose sugars are very poorly controlled. Some have had numerous crisis hospital admissions a dire state of emergency with blood sugars all over the place, having tried many different types of insulins - and having their insulin dosages increased repeatedly. Such people have also had many 999 call outs to paramedics, which did not result in admission.

I have also seen several cases of NEWBORN babies with serious blood sugar problems, inherited temporarily from their diabetic mums, and oh boy these babies keep teams of ward staff and lab staff busy right round the clock. It usually takes a week or so to stabilise these babies' glucose completely.

When I was first diagnosed T2 I had three emergency admissions with glucose readings to high for meter to calculate.
I was living on salad and nuts and yoghurt at the time.
Four different dsoctors over those three admissions said it was the statins I was taking. Two of them reckon it's probably the statins that led to me having diabetes in the first place. Straight in the bin with the statins.
I should be the last person to become diabetic. No binge eating no cake biscuits fizzy drinks etc etc none of the stuff you'd relate to your average diabetic. I was also very active at the time of my diagnoses and had been fourteen stone with nary a blip for over twenty years. Fourteen stone active and just under six three was pretty healthy. Statins should be and probably will be in a few years banned.

Shows that diabetes is more complex than we imagine. I think many people admire the way you have taken charge of your own health, Rollup, and yours is a success story.

Yes statins are a dirty word. It's a total disgrace the way they are automatically forced on practically everyone, on the slightest pretext. (And btw people get tested for compliance against their will. So if you bin it, come clean, don't tell fibs that you still are taking it - cos the lab tests will reveal to your doc if you are being truthful. :wink: )

My docs know I don't and won't take the statins because I left them on the desk there. I bowed down and actually as asked tried three different ones. At my time of saying enough is enough you people need to go and argue with the doctors at the hospital not me because I'm not listening any longer I had just refused to see the surgery diabetics nurse ever again because she had never heard of Glycemic load and was insisting I had mistaken glycemic index for it or was reading absolute rubbish. I'm thinking this is the surgeries expert diabetic person and GL has been around years but she still hasn't even heard of it! Plus she's telling me Weetabix are the best breakfast for diabetics when I knew by that time that all breakfast cereals were slowly poisoning T2 diabetics and making them fatter and sicker. So I was going through the awkward stupid self diagnosing of the internet kind of doctor patient relationship which was very difficult for them and me. I said lets give it six months and see where my high fat low carb no statins lifestyle leads me to in six months compared to the lady diabetic nurses outdated NHS N.I.C.E. advice then we will make some decisions and make some admissions. I'm now star of the diabetic show at the surgery and what do we get this week .... yet another professional coming out on my side.
They are slowly realising they are killing their patients but have to stick with the nice guidelines for now.
rollup

Postby Stooo » Mon May 23, 2016 8:57 pm

ambient wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
BIB - surely you're not laying the blame squarely on the shoulders of the patient alone? :dunno: It isn't your style to generalise like this. Has someone nicked your PW? Yes some patients are incompetent, and some youngsters rebel. But what about diabetics who are brittle, or those who have a degree of insulin resistance? Such difficult cases tax the finest minds amongst the medical profession and they still cannot find a solution, sadly.

I'm going by personal experience. Insulin resistance hasn't been proved and the brittle symptoms appear to be the result of poor management. Like most people I tend to get opinionated when the subject matter is close to home.

T2 tend to be insulin resistant, so they produce a lot of insulin, but it's not going anywhere , eventually the pancreas wears out so they may need insulin or a drug that stimulates insulin production.

T1 can also become insulin resistant over time, so we do have “double diabetics”

Brittle diabetic is a bit more confusing, it's sort of a medical short hand for “you are fucked if you don't sort your shite out”, but a small subset of T1 find good blood sugar control impossible for some unknown reason

Yeah, it sounded like touchy feely NHS bullshit. They can be right passive/aggressive bastards at times.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue May 24, 2016 8:26 am

Guest wrote:Rolly's diet has been on the news today, a doctor reckons this diet saves his Practice £45, 000 a year on his drugs bill. It's actually on the news right now in fact.

There'll be no living with him now! :mrgreen:

It is true tho, fat is far better than processed, sugary shit.
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Wed May 25, 2016 7:39 am

luddite wrote:I read in the newspaper today that eating potatoes for four or more times per week increased the risk of high blood pressure by 11%.

That makes my blood boil ,I'm going to stop ...

Reading newspapers. :grrrrr:

I'm not a great fan of potatoes personally. They need a bit of sexing up, just like pasta and noodles.

Chips and fries are alright with some salt. Decent bonfire ash baked potatoes are quite nice with an appropriate sauce.

I used to harvest the bastards when I was a teenager and those were nice to eat, rather than the bland supermarket jobbies.

We called them teddies. The farmer went down with a single furrow plough and afterwards people picked them up and also dug out the remaining potatoes, lobbing the ones that had green on them.

I used to live next door to a farm and did this for free. But in return, my dad, mother and I used to get ridiculously cheap home and caught produce from the farmer, including tomatoes (a red heaven, even grown on the vine tomatoes in a supermarket aren't nearly as good), truly free range eggs, radishes, carrots, swedes, cauliflowers, sweetcorn, lettuces, cabbages, rasperries, strawberries, loganberries, you name it. Also, the odd pigeon, rabbit and pheasant.
jra

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms