Oh no, not spuds.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Oh no, not spuds.

Postby Text » Sun May 22, 2016 7:14 pm

rollup wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
Canary wrote:Spuds on their own are very healthy, full of vitamins and non-fattening.
It's the butter/gravy/ sauce/ stew/casserole/ that we ADD to them, for palatability & 'lubrication' that's the problem, so ensure those are not too fattening

Ffs if you switched over from spuds to say, rice/pasta/couscous/polenta/cornmeal etc you would still need to ADD those things, for palatability.
The researchers are spouting crap.

All carbs are fattening Canny. Not good for diabetics either in large amounts.

Stop that! :slap:
EVERYONE (yes even severe diabetics) need carbs in their diet and there is NO WAY around that.
A certain % of our diet must be in the form of carbs - where else would you get your calories from, if not from carbs?
They will not fatten you unless your intake exceeds your energy expenditure (simple arithmetic).

We do indeed need carbs but I'm on a low carb high fat lifestyle and have become very healthy on it. Lost weight and more or less reversed my diabetes.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
Here’s your free guide to effortless weight loss, vibrant health and mind-blowing diabetes reversal on a low-carb diet.

More specifically this is a guide to a low-carb and high-fat diet (LCHF). It allows you to get healthier and leaner by eating real food, with no hunger.

Does it sound too good to be true? Check out tons of success stories or dozens of scientific studies proving that it works.

Do you want the super-fast version? Use the guide Low Carb in 60 seconds.

Just teasing you, Rolly. I know you can take it. You have a sense of humour. :wubbers:

But seriously, it's one thing to malign the usual dietary villains - sat fats, cholesterol, processed sugars, etc ... it's another thing that researchers want to malign the humble spud. I won't have it. It's fine when eaten sensibly- :grrrrr:
Text

Postby ambient » Sun May 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:
Canary wrote:Spuds on their own are very healthy, full of vitamins and non-fattening.
It's the butter/gravy/ sauce/ stew/casserole/ that we ADD to them, for palatability & 'lubrication' that's the problem, so ensure those are not too fattening

Ffs if you switched over from spuds to say, rice/pasta/couscous/polenta/cornmeal etc you would still need to ADD those things, for palatability.

EVERYONE (yes even severe diabetics) need carbs in their diet and there is NO WAY around that.
A certain % of our diet must be in the form of carbs - where else would you get your calories from, if not from carbs?
They will not fatten you unless your intake exceeds your energy expenditure (simple arithmetic).

From fats and protien ?

what is a severe diabetic BTW ?
ambient

Postby Stooo » Sun May 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Poca wrote:I had jersey royals today :canny: ..... the dogs bollox of the spud fraternity!!! :hap:

Boiled some, tossed them in butter and roasted them. Sitting in a chicken stew in the fridge for tomorrow :drool:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Text » Sun May 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Poca wrote:
Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:

Severe diabetics?

Ooops - clumsy attempt to economise words there. :oops: Based on grading the severity of diabetes into mild, moderate or severe.
This could be the start of a new way of speaking... severe hypertensives, moderate myopics, etc. :ooer:

Dr Canny MD/PhD! :yess:

Hmm dunno about 'Dr Canny' but I certainly won't swallow this endless stream of fickle fads. Yawnfest!
Text

Postby Stooo » Sun May 22, 2016 7:33 pm

Canary wrote:Ooops - clumsy attempt to economise words there. :oops: Based on grading the severity of diabetes into mild, moderate or severe.
This could be the start of a new way of speaking... severe hypertensives, moderate myopics, etc. :ooer:

I'm assuming that you meant type one where you have to carb count as part of your regime.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Text » Sun May 22, 2016 7:33 pm

rollup wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:

We do indeed need carbs but I'm on a low carb high fat lifestyle and have become very healthy on it. Lost weight and more or less reversed my diabetes.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
Here’s your free guide to effortless weight loss, vibrant health and mind-blowing diabetes reversal on a low-carb diet.

More specifically this is a guide to a low-carb and high-fat diet (LCHF). It allows you to get healthier and leaner by eating real food, with no hunger.

Does it sound too good to be true? Check out tons of success stories or dozens of scientific studies proving that it works.

Do you want the super-fast version? Use the guide Low Carb in 60 seconds.

I looked up the calorie content of spuds cos I don't carry the figures around in my head. As god is my witness, the first article I saw backed up everything I said earlier, except that of course they said it so much better than I did.

And these figures are scientific facts, not opinions. So let's not malign the humble spud, it's packed full of vitamins & minerals and healthy when eaten sensibly.

They wrote:
"In actuality, potatoes are relatively low in calories—just 130 to 140 in a medium plain baked potato (5 ounces after cooking). That’s more per ounce than non-starchy vegetables, but fewer than the calories in bread and rice. The problem is that potatoes are often prepared and served with lots of high-calorie ingredients. A 5-ounce potato with two tablespoons of butter and three tablespoons of sour cream has 415 calories and 30 grams of fat."

Is this where I rest my case? I think so ! :laughing:
Bye pet. x :Hiya:
Text

Postby Gabby » Sun May 22, 2016 7:35 pm

ambient wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:

From fats and protien ?

Insulin dependent possibly!
Gabby

Postby luddite » Sun May 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Agreed Canny, I eat what I like, not what "experts" say is good.

I've eaten butter for ever, even when "experts" said margarine was better.

Turns out that margarine is now "bad for you" :dunno:
luddite

Postby ambient » Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Poca wrote:
ambient wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:

From fats and protien ?

Insulin dependent possibly!

Never heard that phrase before, all diabetics need to keep an eye on their carbohydrate intake
ambient

Postby Gabby » Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Stooo wrote:
Poca wrote:I had jersey royals today :canny: ..... the dogs bollox of the spud fraternity!!! :hap:

Boiled some, tossed them in butter and roasted them. Sitting in a chicken stew in the fridge for tomorrow :drool:

Bloody luv 'em..... boiled, tossed or whateva!! :canny:
Gabby

Postby Text » Sun May 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:Ooops - clumsy attempt to economise words there. :oops: Based on grading the severity of diabetes into mild, moderate or severe.

I'm assuming that you meant type one where you have to carb count as part of your regime.

Type1's are far more likely to reach the severe stage, than type 2's innit.
The latter can get by on just weight loss (more exercise) .. plus hypoglaemic drugs if lucky. No need for insulin.
But even the docs will admit that the distinction between the two is not as clearcut as made out previously.
Text

Postby Stooo » Sun May 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:

The latter can get by on just weight loss (more exercise) .. plus hypoglaemic drugs if lucky. No need for insulin.
But even the docs will admit that the distinction between the two is not as clearcut as made out previously.

Severe stage? :ooer:

My son's been type once since he was three, he's nineteen now. No talk from the diabetic team about a severe stage.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby ambient » Sun May 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Severe what ?
ambient

Postby Maddog » Sun May 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Canary wrote:
Maddog wrote:Eat white sugar, rice, bread and potatoes in moderation. ...
:thumbsup: Like I said, just apply common sense and you'll be fine. Hi Madds.

Maddog wrote: Potatoes have a lot of starch. I eat them maybe once or twice a week.
Never been a huge fan.
So there is no issue then. This article is directed at those who are fans ... ie those who eat them pretty much everyday, like the OP, and myself, for eg.
Yes it's starchy but it's a complex carbohydrate - thus more healthy than simple (processed ) carbohydrates cos it's released into the blood stream more slowly.
Eat it with the skin and the fibre will slow down the absorption and release of sugar into the bloodstream.
Ensure you have enough veg on the side and absorption slows down even more.

I just eat more veggies and meat. I get enough carbs from beer. :)
Maddog

Postby Text » Sun May 22, 2016 8:11 pm

ambient wrote:
Canary wrote:
rollup wrote:

From fats and protien ?

Ah. I was waiting for someone to say "you can get your calories from fats and protein instead" ... and you bit.
Yes indeed you can. But you're not supposed to. It's dangerous to attempt to get your calories this way.
Carbs are the only safe, healthy and efficient source of calories.

Fats and protein can supply cals, but they bring too much baggage with them.
Eg with proteins, the nitrogen load would be too much of a strain on your liver & kidneys. The role of proteins is not to provide cals.
As for fats, they are simply too inefficient, and the waste products are harmful.

I will ask Abs to take a look at this thread. As a diabetic, & well-read poster, she is excellent in threads discussing diet.
And i'm sure she will reinforce the message that dietary cals should come primarily from carbs.
Text

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms