Universal Credit final payment before work

A right load of bollocks...

Universal Credit final payment before work

Postby Axtol » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Hey, any of you guys know about Universal Credit? My UC got paid near the end of every month and I got a job which was due to start halfway through one of those months, so I assumed I'd get about 50% of my UC for half the month, and nothing for the other half as I'd get paid for that from wages. But my payment came in and I got the entire monthly amount. Was I overpaid or is this a thing now?
Axtol

Re: Universal Credit final payment before work

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Sorry, no.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:06 pm

You best contact the DWP for a definitive answer - failure to do so might be construed as fraud.
McAz

Postby Axtol » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:21 pm

Aziz wrote:You best contact the DWP for a definitive answer - failure to do so might be construed as fraud.

Yeah will do that. I spent a bit of the money before wondering if it could be a mistake, so I probably couldn't pay it all back like right now if they asked for it on the spot. I assume they don't demand it back all at once, or they let you pay it back in increments? It was their mistake, and I have kept proof that I informed them when I was starting my job.
Axtol

Postby Trapper John » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Axtol wrote:Hey, any of you guys know about Universal Credit? My UC got paid near the end of every month and I got a job which was due to start halfway through one of those months, so I assumed I'd get about 50% of my UC for half the month, and nothing for the other half as I'd get paid for that from wages. But my payment came in and I got the entire monthly amount. Was I overpaid or is this a thing now?

Just keep the money for fuck sake ...... don't take any notice of Aziz ..... they'll only take it back off you and give it to an immigrant anyway.

Depending how long you been out of work (I think it's six months) - I'm pretty sure they give you the whole amount anyway to give you a head start.

PS. If you are an immigrant - give it back you thieving scummy leech.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Axtol » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Axtol wrote:Hey, any of you guys know about Universal Credit? My UC got paid near the end of every month and I got a job which was due to start halfway through one of those months, so I assumed I'd get about 50% of my UC for half the month, and nothing for the other half as I'd get paid for that from wages. But my payment came in and I got the entire monthly amount. Was I overpaid or is this a thing now?

Just keep the money for fuck sake ...... don't take any notice of Aziz ..... they'll only take it back off you and give it to an immigrant anyway.

Depending how long you been out of work (I think it's six months) - I'm pretty sure they give you the whole amount anyway to give you a head start.

Lol. I've been out of work since November but I only started claiming in December when my saved up wages ran out. Don't get me wrong I'm not criticizing the fact that I've been given a load more than I thought I'd get but the more I think about the more I think maybe there has been a mistake. Do you have any source for the "giving you a head start". When I was on jobseekers last year they said I'd get paid up until the date I started work and I assumed that would be the same on Universal Credit. And the day I started work would be about halfway through the claim month, so I thought I'd get about 50% of my usual UC amount.
Axtol

Postby McAz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:42 pm

Axtol wrote:
Aziz wrote:You best contact the DWP for a definitive answer - failure to do so might be construed as fraud.

Yeah will do that. I spent a bit of the money before wondering if it could be a mistake, so I probably couldn't pay it all back like right now if they asked for it on the spot. I assume they don't demand it back all at once, or they let you pay it back in increments? It was their mistake, and I have kept proof that I informed them when I was starting my job.

They may write it off if you claim you didn't realise there was an overpayment before spending it - I once had 6 grand written off by claiming just that so it's worth a try. And yes, they should allow repayment by instalments if for some reason they don't buy your story.

It is never wise to be stupid enough to follow dear TJ's advice. :laughing:
Last edited by McAz on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby Holly » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:44 pm

Axtol wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Lol. I've been out of work since November but I only started claiming in December when my saved up wages ran out. Don't get me wrong I'm not criticizing the fact that I've been given a load more than I thought I'd get but the more I think about the more I think maybe there has been a mistake. Do you have any source for the "giving you a head start". When I was on jobseekers last year they said I'd get paid up until the date I started work and I assumed that would be the same on Universal Credit. And the day I started work would be about halfway through the claim month, so I thought I'd get about 50% of my usual UC amount.

Since I didn't know what UC is, I googled it and found this site. If you haven't already read it, have a look,it might be helpful to you.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... troduction
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Trapper John » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Axtol wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Yeah the source is me, about 8 years ago I had an altercation with a company I worked for and got the heave ho! ..... so I signed on for a while as I took them to a tribunal. As I'd never been out of work my entire life, I thought here's my chance for some pay-back .... I won the case and then got a job almost instantly ..... I remember the woman at the job centre saying oh dear, another two weeks and you'd have got all your benefits paid for another month ...... come to think of it, I think it's three months, not six.

Just keep schtum ...... if there is anything amiss and they catch up with you, say you didn't know and you'll pay them back at £10 a month ...... it's their mistake so they have to accept that......as long as you pay back something, even £1 a month, they can't do anything about it.

I got a tax rebate from inland revenue once for £900 or so about 20 years ago. The following week I got another for exactly the same amount, then a week later another exactly the same.....it was like Christmas every week ..... I kept the money unspent, a few months later I started spending it ..... never heard a thing from them to this day.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Maddog » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:09 am

Trapper John wrote:
Axtol wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Yeah the source is me, about 8 years ago I had an altercation with a company I worked for and got the heave ho! ..... so I signed on for a while as I took them to a tribunal. As I'd never been out of work my entire life, I thought here's my chance for some pay-back .... I won the case and then got a job almost instantly ..... I remember the woman at the job centre saying oh dear, another two weeks and you'd have got all your benefits paid for another month ...... come to think of it, I think it's three months, not six.

Just keep schtum ...... if there is anything amiss and they catch up with you, say you didn't know and you'll pay them back at £10 a month ...... it's their mistake so they have to accept that......as long as you pay back something, even £1 a month, they can't do anything about it.

I got a tax rebate from inland revenue once for £900 or so about 20 years ago. The following week I got another for exactly the same amount, then a week later another exactly the same.....it was like Christmas every week ..... I kept the money unspent, a few months later I started spending it ..... never heard a thing from them to this day.

It's almost like government workers throw money around like someone else earned it. :)
Maddog

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:19 am

Just a little note - it doesn't just apply to this but anything.

If you ever get money someone says you shouldn't have had - as long as it's their mistake and you haven't lied in order to commit fraud - then you can offer any amount you want to pay back at regular intervals - it applies to any organisation, government body or company.

They will never go to court to get you to pay more because they know that no judge or magistrate in the country will ever rule for them, as long as you've made an offer to pay something regularly - even if it's only £1 a month and would take 20 years to pay back - that will be acceptable to a court.....so never, ever let anyone intimidate you. :thumbsup:

Obviously, that might not work with banks every time - because if they spot it and it's still in your account, they'll take it back and even if you've cleared it out the moment you saw it, they may be able to convince a court you knew it wasn't your money - but even then, they might accept a deal with you rather than go to court.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby McAz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Maddog wrote:It's almost like government workers throw money around like someone else earned it. :)

Almost but not quite - the benefit which is the subject of this thread is administered by a Capita plc, a private leech. :cheers:
McAz

Postby Maddog » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Aziz wrote:
Maddog wrote:It's almost like government workers throw money around like someone else earned it. :)

Almost but not quite - the benefit which is the subject of this thread is administered by a Capita plc, a private leech. :cheers:

Who gave the money to Capita and who should make sure Capita is competent?

You seem to miss the big picture. Confiscated funds will be squandered by the government directly, or by those the government hires to squander the money.
Maddog

Postby McAz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Maddog wrote:
Aziz wrote:

You seem to miss the big picture. Confiscated funds will be squandered by the government directly, or by those the government hires to squander the money.

This thread is about the mishandling of public funds (a possible overpayment in this case) - this instance of mishandling was by Capita plc - no-one authorised Capita to mishandle or squander anything, moreover Capita is not staffed "government workers" who "throw money around".
McAz

Postby Maddog » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:42 pm

Aziz wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Aziz wrote:

This thread is about the mishandling of public funds (a possible overpayment in this case) - this instance of mishandling was by Capita plc - no-one authorised Capita to mishandle or squander anything, moreover Capita is not staffed "government workers" who "throw money around".

And no one will hold them accountable. Most government waste isn't down to some evil plan. That requires intelligence and effort. It's down to no one giving a shit how the money is spent. Capita can waste all the money it wants and continue to receive more.
Maddog

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms