So, do YOU believe?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: So, do YOU believe?

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote: I have a sinking feeling... :gigglesnshit:

All we need to do is find ways to unlock the parts of our brain that don't get used, preferably without drugs.
Humans are pretty intelligent and amazing really.

Amazing compared to what or whom? Animals yes, perhaps - but in the vastness of the universe there will be species that make us look pretty puny. :dunno:

Well yeah, compared to whatever we can compare them/us to. We can't compare our abilities to something we don't even know exists, that wouldn't be very intelligent. :snooty:

Seems finding intelligent aliens is as elusive as finding GOD. Science really is just taking the place of religion.
Lady Murasaki

Postby LordRaven » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Aziz wrote:
Random wrote:When I was young it used to be you start with a theory, you state the methods and controls used in an experiment, look at the results to come to a conclusion.

One of the controls could be time but another could be temperature for instance.

So unsure how that has come to be the new definition of theory.

Maybe the clue is in time as in timeline?

Facts are facts in general whether over time or not. But all facts are no longer facts in timelines.

Not a new definition, it has always been so - well at least since Newton and the Scientific Method. :smilin:

"Science uses specialized terms that have different meanings than everyday usage. These definitions correspond to the way scientists typically use these terms in the context of their work. Note, especially, that the meaning of “theory” in science is different than the meaning of “theory” in everyday conversation."

http://ncse.com/evolution/education/definitions-fact-theory-law-scientific-work

You'll never understand, it is apparently obvious and a real concern to say the least because it seems you can be easily swayed by words and anything not replicating them exactly you take as wrong.
Go read the Koran :gigglesnshit:
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
What's mirobial?

He means microbial. :thumbsup:

I thought so but wasn't sure.
If they're that small then they're not all that advanced/intelligent.

Us humans need to act smarter if we're to live up to being the most intelligent species in the universe.

Please god let it not be so. :yikes:

I have a sinking feeling... :gigglesnshit:

All we need to do is find ways to unlock the parts of our brain that don't get used, preferably without drugs.

Relatively speaking, we only have ourselves and fellow inhabitants of earth to measure that by.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Amazing compared to what or whom? Animals yes, perhaps - but in the vastness of the universe there will be species that make us look pretty puny. :dunno:

Well yeah, compared to whatever we can compare them/us to. We can't compare our abilities to something we don't even know exists, that wouldn't be very intelligent. :snooty:

Seems finding intelligent aliens is as elusive as finding GOD. Science really is just taking the place of religion.

"God is much more intelligent than I am — let him try to find me.” (Isaac Asimov)
:smilin:
McAz

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:I thought so but wasn't sure.
If they're that small then they're not all that advanced/intelligent.

Us humans need to act smarter if we're to live up to being the most intelligent species in the universe.

Please god let it not be so. :yikes:

I have a sinking feeling... :gigglesnshit:

Relatively speaking, we only have ourselves and fellow inhabitants of earth to measure that by.

What's wrong with that? You and AZ are really holding out hope for intelligent aliens aren't you?
They may not exist, we might be all we have, God help us :gigglesnshit:
Lady Murasaki

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:18 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Aziz wrote:Not a new definition, it has always been so - well at least since Newton and the Scientific Method. :smilin:

"Science uses specialized terms that have different meanings than everyday usage. These definitions correspond to the way scientists typically use these terms in the context of their work. Note, especially, that the meaning of “theory” in science is different than the meaning of “theory” in everyday conversation."

http://ncse.com/evolution/education/definitions-fact-theory-law-scientific-work

You'll never understand, it is apparently obvious and a real concern to say the least because it seems you can be easily swayed by words and anything not replicating them exactly you take as wrong.
Go read the Koran :gigglesnshit:

LORD RAVEN, Clueless Halfwit -
"Theory is just that, it NOT FACT but a THEORY"

NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, Esteemed society of distinguished scholars-
"In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by FACTS gathered over time."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
McAz

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:

"God is much more intelligent than I am — let him try to find me.” (Isaac Asimov)

What nationality was the prophet Asimov?
Lady Murasaki

Postby LordRaven » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:21 pm

Asimov’s Foundation series may be coming to HBO, courtesy of Jonathan Nolan

http://www.geek.com/news/asimovs-founda ... n-1609192/

Excellent! I read the trilogy when I was 17, it's about time someone produced this but HBO?
I would have preferred a film trilogy like Lord of The Rings because there is so much to tell.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Russian/American.
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Isaac Asimov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov
Wikipedia
Asimov was prolific and wrote or edited more than 500 books and an ..... Ellison wrote a screenplay of I, Robot that Asimov hoped would lead to "the first really adult, ... Also, one of Asimov's robot short stories, "The Bicentennial Man", was ..... who has one of his books (The Gods Themselves) adapted into a "compu-drama", ...
‎Foundation series - ‎Robot series - ‎Three Laws of Robotics - ‎Nightfall
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby rollup » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:40 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Wikipedia
Asimov was prolific and wrote or edited more than 500 books and an ..... Ellison wrote a screenplay of I, Robot that Asimov hoped would lead to "the first really adult, ... Also, one of Asimov's robot short stories, "The Bicentennial Man", was ..... who has one of his books (The Gods Themselves) adapted into a "compu-drama", ...

rollup

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:43 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Wikipedia

I know him Raven, I prefered Ray Bradbury as a teen.
Lady Murasaki

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Wikipedia

Love Ray Bradbury - his writing is so poetic. Loved his subversive digs at racism too,
McAz

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Wikipedia

Love Ray Bradbury - his writing is so poetic. Loved his subversive digs at racism too,

I have my older sis to thank for introducing him to me as a young teen, his stories blew my mind!
Lady Murasaki

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Wikipedia

I have my older sis to thank for introducing him to me as a young teen, his stories blew my mind!

Beautiful writer - read him as a teen too - and later in life. In fact, I may have another read of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (the one I'm least familiar with) before I die.
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms