So, do YOU believe?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: So, do YOU believe?

Postby McAz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:14 pm

LORD RAVEN, Clueless Halfwit -
"Theory is just that, it NOT FACT but a THEORY"

NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES -
"In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by FACTS gathered over time."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
McAz

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:30 pm

Fuck me, second thread I look at and there's aziz attacking raven again. I'm off I can't be bothered with this petty shit.

Postby McAz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Guest wrote:Fuck me, second thread I look at and there's aziz attacking raven again. I'm off I can't be bothered with this petty shit.

McAz

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Guest wrote:Fuck me, second thread I look at and there's aziz attacking raven again. I'm off I can't be bothered with this petty shit.

I very much agree with that sentiment.
It's pathetic to watch

Postby McAz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:03 pm

Guest wrote:

It's pathetic to watch

Then don't Raven. :wink:
McAz

Postby Aleksandr Orlov » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Aziz wrote:
Guest wrote:

It's pathetic to watch

Carry on, your continued stupidity is a bonus to the forum
Aleksandr Orlov

Postby Very Interesting » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Meeting extraterrestrials: Should we contact aliens?
With the news from Kepler-452b, it seems more likely than ever that there is extra-terrestrial intelligence. So how wise is it to advertise our presence? Adam Lusher reports
As you read this, the metal dishes of 42 radio telescopes, hidden in a little-visited valley in California's Cascade Mountains, are locked on to a star system hundreds of light years away. Together they will scan 10 billion radio channels, searching for signals deliberately sent by intelligent aliens or accidentally leaked from their planets. Then the dishes will turn to the next star and its satellites.

The 42 devices of the Allen Telescope Array (ATA) have already taken a preliminary look at Kepler-452b, the potentially habitable, Earth-like planet whose discovery was announced last week. And "so far, any inhabitants of Kepler-452b are remaining coy," admits Seth Shostak, of the SETI [Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence] Institute, which runs the telescope. But Dr Shostak, its director of research, is anything but disheartened.

"Right now," he says, "there could be radio waves zipping through your body that have come from another planet. But if there are no signals, it would mean that, of the trillion planets in our galaxy – roughly 10 per cent of which are amenable to life – Earth is the only place with critters that have understood science and built technology based on it. So, if this is the only place in the galaxy with intelligent life, then Earth is some sort of miracle – and we scientists tend to think that, if you say something is a miracle, you haven't studied statistics."

It seems that hopes for discovering intelligent alien life have rarely been higher. In the same week of the Kepler-452b revelation, the billionaire Russian internet entrepreneur Yuri Milner announced he was funding Breakthough Listen, a new, decade-long $100 million (£64 million) project dedicated to the quest. And the money, one of the biggest ever donations to the search for alien intelligence, led Professor Frank Drake, Chairman Emeritus of the SETI Institute and adviser to Breakthrough Listen, to declare: "We will have the most powerful and enduring search that's ever been launched."

Which, of course, does not alter the fact that so far we have found nothing. But, explains Dr Shostak, finding alien life was never going to be straightforward: "If aliens had been looking at Earth with a radio telescope, they would have found nothing during the first four and a half billion years. Earth may have had microbes, or dinosaurs, but we only became detectable around the time of the Second World War, with the invention of radar."

Another potential problem is that, while we search using our technology, the extraterrestrials may have devised a far more sophisticated means. "Maybe," says Dr Shostak, "we are sitting around like 15th-century inhabitants of the New World, waiting for drum beats to prove the existence of Europeans."

It isn't just Hollywood film makers who have considered this. In 2010, Professor Stephen Hawking warned against actively seeking to make contact, saying: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet." But, says Dr Shostak, it is already too late to hide. The signals that have leaked from Earth are now 50-60 light years out. Every day, our TV signals wash over another star system. Which does at least mean, says Dr Shostak, that "it's too late to worry about it". Besides, if we do discover something out there, we might find our reactions are strangely … human.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 20032.html
Very Interesting

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Aziz wrote:
Guest wrote:

It's pathetic to watch

Have you ever been right?

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:07 am

Guest wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Guest wrote:

It's pathetic to watch

Often - here is an example: :thumbsup:

NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, Esteemed society of distinguished scholars-
"In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by FACTS gathered over time."
McAz

Postby Creamola Foam » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 am

there is more chance of finding aliens than there is of a thread not turning into a bitch fight
Creamola Foam

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:33 am

Forum World: the final frontier....

McAz

Postby LordRaven » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Aziz wrote:
Guest wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Guest wrote:I very much agree with that sentiment.
It's pathetic to watch

Often - here is an example: :thumbsup:

Have you been having fun pissing all over this thread?
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Aziz wrote:LORD RAVEN, Clueless Halfwit -

"People who don't understand this distinction sometimes dismiss ideas saying "it's just a theory" (this is very commonly used to suggest that evolution is just speculation, for example). But, when scientists speak of the theory of gravity or the theory of evolution, they don't mean that these are random untested ideas that someone came up with after too many beers."

(Oregon State University)

McAz

Postby LordRaven » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Aziz wrote:

"People who don't understand this distinction sometimes dismiss ideas saying "it's just a theory" (this is very commonly used to suggest that evolution is just speculation, for example). But, when scientists speak of the theory of gravity or the theory of evolution, they don't mean that these are random untested ideas that someone came up with after too many beers."

Having to quote others all the time reinforces the theory that you really haven't got a fucking clue :thumbsup:
Keep up the confirmation, keep it coming :cuppaT:
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 pm

What "theory" means in ordinary speech:

The term "theory" means a very different thing when used in everyday conversation and in science. In our day to day speech, we often use "theory" to mean a guess or unsubstantiated idea about how something works".

In science, we would call such a guess a hypothesis, not a theory. A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for an observation.

The distinction between the words "Theory" and "Hypothesis" is very important because in science. "Theory" does not mean "guess".

McAz

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms