Why Bother Having Maximum Sentences For Crimes.......

A right load of bollocks...

Why Bother Having Maximum Sentences For Crimes.......

Postby Trapper John » Fri May 29, 2015 1:37 pm

........... If you ain't gonna use them?

The maximum sentence for killing a person by dangerous driving is 14 years in prison. Quite what you have to do to get that sentence is beyond my comprehension - because here is a case which is hard to imagine could be any worse, yet the driver is sentenced to just 6 years, why?

Addil Haroon a 19 year old from Rochdale had no licence or insurance but somehow managed to hire an Audi A6 which he then drove from Leeds to Rochdale, 'Snapchatting' mates with a picture of his speedo showing 142mph and boasting "Leeds to Rochdale in 11 minutes - catch me!"

In the early hours of the following morning, Haroon, travelling with 'mates' at 80mph in a 30mph built up area, jumped a red light and sliced in two a car crossing the lights, killing the occupant, 25 year old, Joseph Brown-Lartey.

Members of the public apprehended the dazed occupants of Haroon's car as they tried to hail a cab to escape the scene. Mr Brown-Lartey was probably killed instantly and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police and paramedics described the crash as 'the worst incident they had ever attended' ..... Mr Brown Lartey's car at the scene:

So what the fuck do you have to do to get the full 14 years? - line people up like skittles and deliberately knock them down?

To my mind, if there was ever a case which warranted the full force of a maximum sentence, this is it - yet no - for some reason the law said 6 years - the family of Mr Brown-Lartey must be devastated. His girlfriend described her life as a nightmare she cannot wake up from.

Perhaps if we look closer we might find an answer to why such a lenient sentence was passed - we are talking Rochdale here.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-7283745
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Why Bother Having Maximum Sentences For Crimes.......

Postby Creamola Foam » Fri May 29, 2015 2:04 pm

I agree totally, time should be served, not getting out early for good behaviour and pish
Creamola Foam

Postby measurer » Fri May 29, 2015 2:06 pm

I think some of the blame also lays with that car rental company as well as the arsehole driver, so the judge or lawyer would have taken that into account but I agree, the git should have got the full sentence. Mind you, he'd still have got it cut by a third if he behaved in jail....
measurer

Postby Vam » Fri May 29, 2015 2:52 pm

measurer wrote:I think some of the blame also lays with that car rental company as well as the arsehole driver, so the judge or lawyer would have taken that into account but I agree, the git should have got the full sentence. Mind you, he'd still have got it cut by a third if he behaved in jail....

Good point. Surely there's at least some culpability/negligence there, too.

@ TJ ... in cases like this, I agree 2000million percent with every single word of your OP. But then, why did you have to go and spoil it all with that last sentence? :yikes: Kind of knew it was coming, though...
Vam

Postby Trapper John » Fri May 29, 2015 3:32 pm

measurer wrote:I think some of the blame also lays with that car rental company as well as the arsehole driver, so the judge or lawyer would have taken that into account but I agree, the git should have got the full sentence. Mind you, he'd still have got it cut by a third if he behaved in jail....

Why? ....... If he went with false documents how are they going to know? ..... they aren't forensic scientists. I've mentioned before that probably 80% of foreigners driving on our roads today, do it with forged and faked documents - there is a roaring trade in them amongst immigrants of all sorts.

Just in the past three months my depot alone has dumped two foreign agency drivers - who've gone through the agency checks - but have been found to have false or duplicate documents.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Fri May 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Vamonos wrote:

Good point. Surely there's at least some culpability/negligence there, too.

@ TJ ... in cases like this, I agree 2000million percent with every single word of your OP. But then, why did you have to go and spoil it all with that last sentence? :yikes: Kind of knew it was coming, though...

I'm just pointing out that the incident occurred in an area where certain foreigners have for decades, carried out hideous crimes and those charged with upholding and protecting us with the law, have turned a blind eye to their goings on.

It's not a great leap of the imagination to wonder whether there is still an air of 'untouchability' in the attitudes of those foreigners - or still a fear of offending certain communities by the authorities.

Systematic failure of the authorities to take action against members of certain communities, over such a huge period of time, must still leave an awful lot of ingrained residue which some might find difficult to remove.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby rollup » Sat May 30, 2015 4:38 pm

Minimum serve would be better than maximum sentence me thinks.
Twenty year sentence with 14 year minimum served.
This clown will be out in four with remission maybe out in two if he makes parole.
rollup

Postby rollup » Sat May 30, 2015 4:40 pm

Best way for parole used to be finding God ... he's always in there somewhere.
The prison chaplain always had clout in the parole reports area.
When people leave they leave God behind for someone else to find.
rollup

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms