I know this is in America but WTF is the matter with people?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: I know this is in America but WTF is the matter with people?

Postby Holly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 am

Guest wrote:
Holly wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:
Trapezerjohn wrote:Just thinking about what it's been like this last week or so, imagine leaving your kid in the car in this weather.

150 kids baked to death in a car since 2010......that's a fucking appalling statistic even in a large country like America.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28214266

"Baked". It really rubs it in when you use that word. This must be a truly gruesome way to die.

Mustn't it - ever been stuck in a car yourself Canny? Happened to my mum by accident a while back, only for a matter of minutes, but on a sunny day with the engine and air con switched off the temperature soon gets up. Easy done nowadays too, with remote controlled central locking etc. :kinell:

I thought all cars with central locking can be opened from the inside...not by a child obviously, but surely by an adult ?

Well, mine certainly can.

Mine too and so do all the cars I know of...I think they have to open for safety reasons...hmmm, maybe I'm wrong.
Holly

Postby Text » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:19 am

Speaking for myself, sometimes you cannot immediately find the right 'lever' to open the car door with, from the inside. In a car you are not familiar with. It's as if it needs to be opened electronically.

My son usually gives us a lift to do 'the big shop', on a saturday or a sunday (well we could drive ourselves down there but the lift is a treat from him) and when we arrive it always takes quite a few seconds before i can locate the correct lever/button to open the door with. In a panicky situation it would take even longer.
Last edited by Text on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Text

Postby Snuffleupagus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 am

Canary wrote:Nope! You trying to give me nightmares or summat ?? Locked myself OUT, a couple of times tho ... in the days when real keys were used. I sometimes lock myself out of the house too. :oops:

Hehe, try not to have nightmares Canny.

Don't think I've ever locked myself out of a car - a particular "favourite" of mine is leaving the front door keys in the outside of the door when I go home. Oh the number of times the paper girl (paper delivery girl, not actually made of paper, that would just be silly) has knocked on the door to tell me. :shame:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:24 am

Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:
Holly wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:
"Baked". It really rubs it in when you use that word. This must be a truly gruesome way to die.

Mustn't it - ever been stuck in a car yourself Canny? Happened to my mum by accident a while back, only for a matter of minutes, but on a sunny day with the engine and air con switched off the temperature soon gets up. Easy done nowadays too, with remote controlled central locking etc. :kinell:

I thought all cars with central locking can be opened from the inside...not by a child obviously, but surely by an adult ?

Well, mine certainly can.

Mine too and so do all the cars I know of...I think they have to open for safety reasons...hmmm, maybe I'm wrong.

No, you're right. :thumbsup:

Postby Text » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:29 am

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:Nope! You trying to give me nightmares or summat ?? Locked myself OUT, a couple of times tho ... in the days when real keys were used. I sometimes lock myself out of the house too. :oops:

Don't think I've ever locked myself out of a car - a particular "favourite" of mine is leaving the front door keys in the outside of the door when I go home. Oh the number of times the paper girl (paper delivery girl, not actually made of paper, that would just be silly) has knocked on the door to tell me. :shame:

(Lol don't make me start any milkman jokes)
Yeah, been there.
Didn't stooo say recently that when he woke up one morning his door was WIDE open?
I can't say we've ever been that bad. :mrgreen:
Text

Postby Snuffleupagus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:32 am

Canary wrote:Speaking for myself, sometimes you cannot immediately find the right 'lever' to open the car door with, from the inside. In a car you are not familiar with. It's as if it needs to be opened electronically.

My son usually gives us a lift to do 'the big shop', on a saturday or a sunday (well we could drive ourselves down there but the lift is a treat from him) and when we arrive it always takes quite a few seconds before i can locate the correct lever/button to open the door with. In a panicky situation it would take even longer.

I haven't thoroughly investigated if there's an emergency lever somewhere, haven't read all the manual yet. However once you reach 15mph the doors all automatically lock, and there's a button for me to press on the driver's door to release that lock again when I stop and passengers want to get out, is either that or they need to pull the handle/catch twice.

After my mum was stuck in Dad's car (he'd got out to go put something through a friend's door and got chatting) I checked on my own car - if I lock it with the remote even from inside I couldn't get out manually - at least not by the usual means, will look in the manual out of interest to see if there's an emergency catch somewhere.

Dad and my cars are different makes btw. :smilin:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Snuffleupagus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 am

Canary wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:

(Lol don't make me start any milkman jokes)
Yeah, been there.
Didn't stooo say recently that when he woke up one morning his door was WIDE open?
I can't say we've ever been that bad. :mrgreen:

I went off upstairs for a bath the other day, was the only one in the house and when I came back down there was the front door swinging open. :shame:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:Speaking for myself, sometimes you cannot immediately find the right 'lever' to open the car door with, from the inside. In a car you are not familiar with. It's as if it needs to be opened electronically.

I haven't thoroughly investigated if there's an emergency lever somewhere, haven't read all the manual yet. However once you reach 15mph the doors all automatically lock, and there's a button for me to press on the driver's door to release that lock again when I stop and passengers want to get out, is either that or they need to pull the handle/catch twice.

After my mum was stuck in Dad's car (he'd got out to go put something through a friend's door and got chatting) I checked on my own car - if I lock it with the remote even from inside I couldn't get out manually - at least not by the usual means, will look in the manual out of interest to see if there's an emergency catch somewhere.

It is perfectly possible to lock someone in a car Snuffs as your mum found out.

Many car manufacturers put deadlocks on the doors as a security measure and the deadlock will be activated when there is no key in the ignition of the car and the remote locking has been activated.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:

Many car manufacturers put deadlocks on the doors as a security measure and the deadlock will be activated when there is no key in the ignition of the car and the remote locking has been activated.

Only if that person is a complete moron.

Imagine the scenario if a central locking system was activated and the car was set fire with someone inside with no means of escape. Ideal really for anyone who wished to murder another person, wouldn't you say?

Which manufacturers put so little consideration on the safety of a person locked inside that they could not escape in an emergency? You really ought to name them so that people are aware and can avoid purchasing such deathtraps. :cuppaT:

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Was I the only one struggling to stay awake reading most of the last page of this thread? :bored:

Postby Vam » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Trapezerjohn wrote:
Victoria wrote:Have you heard of the terrible case in America were a man has been accused of murdering his 18 month old son by leaving him in his car on a roasting hot day for about seven hours? Justin Ross Harris claimed he'd forgotten to take Cooper to his nursery. The police found out he'd been doing research online about how long it would take a child to die in a car. He'd also taken out life insurance on him.

I didn't read all the article .... but I think that case is mentioned in it.

At the time, I think I recall a news report commenting that the baby had suffered a horrible death - there were marks on his face and neck that indicated he had been clawing at them in distress Poor little mite :shake head:
Vam

Postby Snuffleupagus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:

Yeah, I'm home now and have tried it again with my own car, neither the door catch nor the usual door unlock button work if I lock myself inside.

Had a look at the manual too, nothing I can see in there about it, other than how secure it is. There's an understatement. :laughing:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Vamonos wrote:
Trapezerjohn wrote:
Victoria wrote:Have you heard of the terrible case in America were a man has been accused of murdering his 18 month old son by leaving him in his car on a roasting hot day for about seven hours? Justin Ross Harris claimed he'd forgotten to take Cooper to his nursery. The police found out he'd been doing research online about how long it would take a child to die in a car. He'd also taken out life insurance on him.

I didn't read all the article .... but I think that case is mentioned in it.

At the time, I think I recall a news report commenting that the baby had suffered a horrible death - there were marks on his face and neck that indicated he had been clawing at them in distress Poor little mite :shake head:

the bastard should get death. He should be put into a locked car, one that the state has barred and he cannot get out off. In a extra hot room, hotter than what that poor little fellow had, and bake until he dies. He should suffer a even worse death because that poor little guy had no choice and that bastard was supposed to be the one that was supposed to have took care of him. May that bastard rot in hell for what he did. Also, who takes out life insurance polices on a child that age? He premediated the whole thing. DEATH to him. :yess:

Postby Text » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Guest wrote:Was I the only one struggling to stay awake reading most of the last page of this thread? :bored:

Looks like it! Or maybe the people who found it boring did the logical thing & moved swiftly on, to a topic they found more interesting instead of taking the time and trouble to complain rudely.

The posts had the opposite effect on me, they made me sit bolt upright & pay attention, cos i realised I could learn a lot from what the guests, Holly & Snuffs were all saying. I could save my life and the lives of others in an emergency.

Holly and some guests made the excellent point that manufacturers will not design cars which lock people in. Snuffs post reminded us that things can still go wrong, so we mustn't be lulled into a false sense of security. Her mum was only locked in (or felt locked in) for a minute or 2 but it must have felt like ages ... i'd have panicked.
Text

Postby Text » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Horrified when I read it, few days ago. It's the usual conundrum - were the parents mad, bad ..... or both!!
Text

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms