I know this is in America but WTF is the matter with people?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: I know this is in America but WTF is the matter with people?

Postby Snuffleupagus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:39 am

Canary wrote:
Guest wrote:Was I the only one struggling to stay awake reading most of the last page of this thread? :bored:

Looks like it! Or maybe the people who found it boring did the logical thing & moved swiftly on, to a topic they found more interesting instead of taking the time and trouble to complain rudely.

The posts had the opposite effect on me, they made me sit bolt upright & pay attention, cos i realised I could learn a lot from what the guests, Holly & Snuffs were all saying. I could save my life and the lives of others in an emergency.

Holly and some guests made the excellent point that manufacturers will not design cars which lock people in. Snuffs post reminded us that things can still go wrong, so we mustn't be lulled into a false sense of security. Her mum was only locked in (or felt locked in) for a minute or 2 but it must have felt like ages ... i'd have panicked.

I still can't find a way of unlocking my car from the inside without the key in the ignition. Just thinking too - even if cars like that have an "emergency" button or something, firstly how would you find it if panicking in a real emergency, and secondly if you could find it then so could a thief/whatever. :dunno:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:42 am

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:
Guest wrote:Was I the only one struggling to stay awake reading most of the last page of this thread? :bored:

Looks like it! Or maybe the people who found it boring did the logical thing & moved swiftly on, to a topic they found more interesting instead of taking the time and trouble to complain rudely.

The posts had the opposite effect on me, they made me sit bolt upright & pay attention, cos i realised I could learn a lot from what the guests, Holly & Snuffs were all saying. I could save my life and the lives of others in an emergency.

Holly and some guests made the excellent point that manufacturers will not design cars which lock people in. Snuffs post reminded us that things can still go wrong, so we mustn't be lulled into a false sense of security. Her mum was only locked in (or felt locked in) for a minute or 2 but it must have felt like ages ... i'd have panicked.

I still can't find a way of unlocking my car from the inside without the key in the ignition. Just thinking too - even if cars like that have an "emergency" button or something, firstly how would you find it if panicking in a real emergency, and secondly if you could find it then so could a thief/whatever. :dunno:

Time to get rid of your deathtrap then and buy a decent car. :thumbsup:

Postby Snuffleupagus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:48 am

Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:

It's a more than decent car. :roll:

How about something constructive - like how do you for example override the deadlock on your car, from the inside and without keys? Then perhaps I could check mine.
Snuffleupagus

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:51 am

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:

Not if you can't escape in an emergency it isn't.

It's up to you of course if you value your car above your own life and those of yours whom you transport in it. No skin off my nose at all. :thumbsup:

Postby Snuffleupagus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:57 am

Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:Looks like it! Or maybe the people who found it boring did the logical thing & moved swiftly on, to a topic they found more interesting instead of taking the time and trouble to complain rudely.

It's up to you of course if you value your car above your own life and those of yours whom you transport in it. No skin off my nose at all. :thumbsup:

You do talk some twaddle - and the rest of my post? :bored:

What emergency? If I was driving the keys would be in the ignition. :roll:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Claire » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

Guest wrote:

It sounds like a death trap doesn't it?
Claire

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 am

My car automatically locks all the doors a few seconds after putting the key in the ignition. There is an easily identifiable button on the dash to press to unlock them all.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Snuffleupagus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:08 am

Trapezerjohn wrote:My car automatically locks all the doors a few seconds after putting the key in the ignition. There is an easily identifiable button on the dash to press to unlock them all.

Yep, mine locks all doors (and starts seatbelt warnings) at 15mph, and a button on the driver's door unlocks them again. That button doesn't work without the key in the ignition though.
Snuffleupagus

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:

How about something constructive - like how do you for example override the deadlock on your car, from the inside and without keys? Then perhaps I could check mine.

It's not my problem - it's yours.

Contact the manufacturer of your car if you don't know how to over-ride it. I don't even know what car you drive, so how the fuck can I tell you how to over-ride the deadlocks? :off head:

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:

You do talk some twaddle - and the rest of my post? :bored:

What emergency? If I was driving the keys would be in the ignition. :roll:

You could quite easily activate the deadlocks with other people in the car, if you got out to run some errand for example. I routinely dead-lock my own when i get out... and you could do so quite subconsciously, even if you had people in the car. All it needs is a moment's inattention.

Postby Snuffleupagus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Guest wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:Looks like it! Or maybe the people who found it boring did the logical thing & moved swiftly on, to a topic they found more interesting instead of taking the time and trouble to complain rudely.

It's not my problem - it's yours.

Contact the manufacturer of your car if you don't know how to over-ride it. I don't even know what car you drive, so how the fuck can I tell you how to over-ride the deadlocks? :off head:

Lol, you seem a little tense, try a sun lounger it's great out here. :laughing:

I don't actually see it as a problem, but I'm curious now, and was just looking for some pointers for where to look ta.

Anyways, to satisfy my curiosity I've emailed the manufacturer to see what they say. :thumbsup:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Text » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:

Yes I've already mentioned the P word. Something that is easy and straightforward to do when you're relaxed can suddenly look impossible when you're all flustered or panicky. If you're in an accident in an unfamiliar vehicle, and it's starting to fill up with smoke, or if the door is badly dented and twisted, or if the car is sinking down into a river, you need an exit strategy that works fast. Else you're gone.
Text

Postby Snuffleupagus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Canary wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Canary wrote:

Yes I've already mentioned the P word. Something that is easy and straightforward to do when you're relaxed can suddenly look impossible when you're all flustered or panicky. If you're in an accident in an unfamiliar vehicle, and it's starting to fill up with smoke, or if the door is badly dented and twisted, or if the car is sinking down into a river, you need an exit strategy that works fast. Else you're gone.

Yep, exactly.

Like the other week when I was getting out of a cab (or not, as the case may be :oops: ) and the driver had to tell me how to open the door. :shame:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Snuffleupagus » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Just read about another case that happened on Thursday:

A baby who was placed into foster care died after she was left in a hot car for at least two hours.

The 10-month-old girl was left strapped into her car seat on Thursday as temperatures reached 32 degrees in Wichita, Kansas.

Emergency services were called at 6.41pm but the girl was pronounced dead at 6:49pm.

The girl was in foster care with two men.

One of them, 29-year-old Seth Michael Jackson, had picked her up from a baby sitter at about 4pm and forgot he had left her in the car which had its tinted windows closed.

The other man was in the back garden and assumed all the children were in the house.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... er-3916836

While the poor mite was in foster care too, supposedly safe. :shake head:
Snuffleupagus

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms