German police arrest UK diplomat

German police arrest UK diplomat

Postby Grafenwalder » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:57 pm

Germany arrests British diplomat suspected of spying for Russia

German police have arrested a British national who worked at the United Kingdom’s embassy in Berlin on suspicion of passing documents to the Russian intelligence service in exchange for cash, according to prosecutors.

The statement added that the suspect, identified only as David S, “on at least one occasion passed on documents he acquired as part of his professional activities to a representative of Russian intelligence”.

“The accused received a cash payment in an unspecified amount in return,” it said. The suspect was believed to have been spying since November 2020 “at the latest”.

UK spy chiefs say China and Russia have sought to steal commercially sensitive data and intellectual property as well as interfere in politics.

Germany has arrested several people in recent years accused of spying for Russia, but the capture of a citizen of a closely allied country is highly unusual.

I expect Daves Russian controller has informed Comrade Johnson at Brexit Central about the loss of one of their valued spooks. :cool:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/1 ... for-russia
Grafenwalder

Re: German police arrest UK diplomat

Postby Maddog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:04 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:Germany arrests British diplomat suspected of spying for Russia

German police have arrested a British national who worked at the United Kingdom’s embassy in Berlin on suspicion of passing documents to the Russian intelligence service in exchange for cash, according to prosecutors.

The statement added that the suspect, identified only as David S, “on at least one occasion passed on documents he acquired as part of his professional activities to a representative of Russian intelligence”.

“The accused received a cash payment in an unspecified amount in return,” it said. The suspect was believed to have been spying since November 2020 “at the latest”.

UK spy chiefs say China and Russia have sought to steal commercially sensitive data and intellectual property as well as interfere in politics.

Germany has arrested several people in recent years accused of spying for Russia, but the capture of a citizen of a closely allied country is highly unusual.

I expect Daves Russian controller has informed Comrade Johnson at Brexit Central about the loss of one of their valued spooks. :cool:

No need to inform the Brits.

It was a joint British German operation.

I'm one of those dumbassess that read links before I comment. :more beer:
Maddog

Postby Grafenwalder » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:09 pm

Maddog wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:Germany arrests British diplomat suspected of spying for Russia

No need to inform the Brits.

It was a joint British German operation.

I'm one of those dumbassess that read links before I comment. :more beer:

Dear oh deary me - massive soh failure!! :roll:
Grafenwalder

Postby ArchieG » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:35 am

It turns out security guards dont have diplomatic status. Seems to me that the real issue is how did a guy in his position get hold of anything worth selling.
ArchieG

Postby Maddog » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:33 pm

ArchieG wrote:It turns out security guards dont have diplomatic status. Seems to me that the real issue is how did a guy in his position get hold of anything worth selling.

German online news site Focus Online reports that the documents passed on were to do with counter-terrorism, and that the man is not thought to have diplomatic immunity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58170872

Yeah, he's not a diplomat nor does he have immunity.
Maddog

Postby Grafenwalder » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:23 pm

ArchieG wrote:It turns out security guards dont have diplomatic status. Seems to me that the real issue is how did a guy in his position get hold of anything worth selling.

Layout of rooms/offices, lists of visiting officials.

Probably also like to know if there's a tennis court as Ruski oligarchs like paying Johnson to play with their wife. :wink:
Grafenwalder

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs