Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect

Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:22 am

DES MOINES, Iowa — Thanks to a reworked menu and long hours, Jeannie Kim managed to keep her San Francisco restaurant alive during the coronavirus pandemic.

That makes it all the more frustrating that she fears her breakfast-focused diner could be ruined within months by new rules that could make one of her top menu items – bacon – hard to get in California.

"Our number one seller is bacon, eggs and hash browns," said Kim, who for 15 years has run SAMS American Eatery on the city's busy Market Street. "It could be devastating for us."

At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/fo ... 447260001/

How depressing. Bacon, pork chops, hams, wiped off the menu or priced like wagu beef.
Maddog

Re: Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:16 am

I'm sensing some sour grapes here.

https://aldf.org/project/ag-gag-texas/

The Animal Legal Defence Fund was successful in blocking legislation in Texas that would have prevented the public learning about animal cruelty and low animal welfare standards

https://aldf.org/case/defending-our-rig ... p-statute/

They were also successful in defeating a SLAPP suit brought by Landry's concerning the treatment of four white tigers who have kept indoors without adequate access to sunlight, fresh air or natural surfaces.

The animal legal defence fund is based in California.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:33 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I'm sensing some sour grapes here.

https://aldf.org/project/ag-gag-texas/

The Animal Legal Defence Fund was successful in blocking legislation in Texas that would have prevented the public learning about animal cruelty and low animal welfare standards

https://aldf.org/case/defending-our-rig ... p-statute/

They were also successful in defeating a SLAPP suit brought by Landry's concerning the treatment of four white tigers who have kept indoors without adequate access to sunlight, fresh air or natural surfaces.

The animal legal defence fund is based in California.

I like bacon. Don't you?
Maddog

Postby HobbitFeet » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:40 am

I only eat ethically raised meat products, but I'm lucky enough to have access to them

I get that some people simply don't have the means or the money to do that, and they shouldn't be denied meat

however animal welfare is a serious issue, and ensuring access to ethically raised animals should be the norm, not something that creates drama

I enjoy a bit of pig but I want it to have had a happy life first, there's nothing radical about that
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:45 am

HobbitFeet wrote:I only eat ethically raised meat products, but I'm lucky enough to have access to them

I get that some people simply don't have the means or the money to do that, and they shouldn't be denied meat

however animal welfare is a serious issue, and ensuring access to ethically raised animals should be the norm, not something that creates drama

I enjoy a bit of pig but I want it to have had a happy life first, there's nothing radical about that

It appears that ethical isn't a well defined word.

I doubt the folks that voted for this had a clue what they were voting for. They just wanted to be nicer to animals before they ate them.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:50 am

HobbitFeet wrote:I only eat ethically raised meat products, but I'm lucky enough to have access to them

Yours is the majority view.

An ASPCA survey in 2020 showed that the majority of customers are concerned about animal welfare standards and at the very least want food labelling standards to show the level of welfare.

65% want public bodies including the military, schools and prisons to use only ethically raised animals.

https://www.aspca.org/shopwithyourheart ... ca-surveys
Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:54 am

Maddog wrote:

I doubt the folks that voted for this had a clue what they were voting for. They just wanted to be nicer to animals before they ate them.

You also shared your 'opinion' that covid cases were going down in Texas whereas they've more than doubled.

That tells us what your 'opinion' is worth.

It was a free and fair vote by informed people that you disagree with. Those are the facts
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:56 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You also shared your 'opinion' that covid cases were going down in Texas whereas they've more than doubled.

That tells us what your 'opinion' is worth.

It was a free and fair vote by informed people that you disagree with. Those are the facts

They were going down until about 2 weeks ago.

What is your fucking problem?
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:00 am

You lied to cover up for your shithole state.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:05 am

Cactus Jack wrote:You lied to cover up for your shithole state.

What's your fucking problem?
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:07 am

Maddog wrote:

:thumbsup:
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:08 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

:thumbsup:

I mean what is wrong with you that you are so fucking obsessive.

What is your condition that makes you rage like a fucking lunatic?
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:10 am

Personal attacks again - you lied to cover up for your state because it's such a shithole.
Cactus Jack

Postby HobbitFeet » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:11 am

quit it the pair of you

the thread isn't about behaving like pigs
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:14 am

HobbitFeet wrote:quit it the pair of you

the thread isn't about behaving like pigs

Quite right.

Contrary to what the proven liar assserts studies show the market for certified ethical produce is growing and businesses actually do better with certified produce.

And certified ethical is an established that standard that voters understood perfectly well.

https://www.aspca.org/sites/default/fil ... _story.pdf
Cactus Jack

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs