Israel on brink of lockdown after dropping facemask rules

Re: Israel on brink of lockdown after dropping facemask rules

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:20 pm

ArchieG wrote:We still had a lot of restrictions last summer. You’d be a sad git if you didnt notice.

How many restriction depended on where you lived, but yes there were some.

However the science showed us that it was sunlight that quickly killed the virus, you may remember former President Trump suggesting there may be a way to put extra sunlight into a body.

And we also know that with even greater restrictions later the virus still went from single figure deaths to triple and then high triple figure in an alarmingly short time leading to a lockdown over Christmas.

It was said back then an extra two weeks of lockdown in summer could have prevented the later lockdown.

It has been said, and proven right repeatly, that Boris Johnson is too quick to lift bio-security measure and not quick enough to implement them.
Cactus Jack

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:35 pm

I doubt that an extra two weeks of lockdown last summer would have made a difference.
Raggamuffin

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:37 pm

ArchieG wrote:More bad news for lockdown addicts. Admissions starting to fall, deaths look like they’ve peaked, which would make the case data accurate. Cases falling without lockdown, its bloody fantastic. Zero covid is impossible without lockdown forever, live with what we have if this is as bad as it gets.

Lockdown addicts. :gigglesnshit: I know you don't mean it this way, but some people actually did like the lockdown. :laughing: I quite liked it myself - fewer people around, less traffic, nice peace and quiet. I didn't like the queues outside shops much though. Now places are open again and everyone is out and about - it's driving me mad. Roll on Autumn I say.
Raggamuffin

Postby ArchieG » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
ArchieG wrote:More bad news for lockdown addicts. Admissions starting to fall, deaths look like they’ve peaked, which would make the case data accurate. Cases falling without lockdown, its bloody fantastic. Zero covid is impossible without lockdown forever, live with what we have if this is as bad as it gets.

Lockdown addicts. :gigglesnshit: I know you don't mean it this way, but some people actually did like the lockdown. :laughing: I quite liked it myself - fewer people around, less traffic, nice peace and quiet. I didn't like the queues outside shops much though. Now places are open again and everyone is out and about - it's driving me mad. Roll on Autumn I say.

That Boris is always wrong is CJs political mantra, rather than lockdown addiction I think. You would like it here, Rags. The beach is rammed, and its Cowes week. About a thousand people on the esplanade watching a local band giving it some. I am trusting my vaccine.
ArchieG

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:08 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

It was definitely easier getting around when everyone was staying home, but not much fun with no place to go except work.

I like people though. I'm a social interaction addict. :cool:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:26 pm

ArchieG wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

That Boris is always wrong is CJs political mantra, rather than lockdown addiction I think. You would like it here, Rags. The beach is rammed, and its Cowes week. About a thousand people on the esplanade watching a local band giving it some. I am trusting my vaccine.

Boris has always been proven wrong on Covid so that is one reason to assume he will be wrong again but the evidence is there to back up the belief that he's got this one wrong on it's own merits.

Places elsewhere in the world that saw covid rates falling for five months prior to reopening experienced rates doubling again within one month of dropping all restrictions, and that was in summer.
Cactus Jack

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:45 pm

ArchieG wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Eeeeek! Hope the local band is good.
Raggamuffin

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Maddog wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It was definitely easier getting around when everyone was staying home, but not much fun with no place to go except work.

I like people though. I'm a social interaction addict. :cool:

I don't go to many places anyway, and I'm not a social interaction addict. :laughing: I've lost touch with loads of people, and I don't mind really - I'm becoming a recluse instead. I do go out a lot as in outside and to cafes and places like that, but I don't miss social events.
Raggamuffin

Postby Grafenwalder » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:51 pm

ArchieG wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Jesus :yikes: you'll need more than 'trust' given the thread op, and maybe ask for some divine intervention!
Grafenwalder

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
ArchieG wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Jesus :yikes: you'll need more than 'trust' given the thread op, and maybe ask for some divine intervention!

This is the beauty of free will.

If you're scared, stay home.

The thousands in attendance don't seem to be too worried, and are probably a lot of fun to be around. :wink:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
ArchieG wrote:That Boris is always wrong is CJs political mantra, rather than lockdown addiction I think. You would like it here, Rags. The beach is rammed, and its Cowes week. About a thousand people on the esplanade watching a local band giving it some. I am trusting my vaccine.

Actually the chances are that he will survive. For now.

What's at issue isn't direct covid deaths anymore it's long covid and that's a whole other story.

Even asymptomatic covid infections can leave trace effects in the cardio-pulminary system that can mean increased susceptability to a variety of respitatory diseases and make them hundreds of times more dangerous - there are already recorded cases of common RSV being fatal for people long after they tested positive.

Containing the virus before we get to September when school reopen should be a priority but I suspect that like last year Boris Johnson wants to cram as many weeks of economic activity into the few weeks respite summer offers and then try to blame to NHS when the inevitable wave of winter hospitalisations hits.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
ArchieG wrote:That Boris is always wrong is CJs political mantra, rather than lockdown addiction I think. You would like it here, Rags. The beach is rammed, and its Cowes week. About a thousand people on the esplanade watching a local band giving it some. I am trusting my vaccine.

Actually the chances are that he will survive. For now.

What's at issue isn't direct covid deaths anymore it's long covid and that's a whole other story.

Even asymptomatic covid infections can leave trace effects in the cardio-pulminary system that can mean increased susceptability to a variety of respitatory diseases and make them hundreds of times more dangerous - there are already recorded cases of common RSV being fatal for people long after they tested positive.

Containing the virus before we get to September when school reopen should be a priority but I suspect that like last year Boris Johnson wants to cram as many weeks of economic activity into the few weeks respite summer offers and then try to blame to NHS when the inevitable wave of winter hospitalisations hits.

This is why you would never be any fun anywhere. ^
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:33 pm

A death rate from a new variant similar to MERS may well be nudging things.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:44 pm

Stooo wrote:A death rate from a new variant similar to MERS may well be nudging things.

You have to catch it first.

That is also true in studies that suggest vaccines are less effective at preventing infection by the delta variant. The CDC notes a recent population survey in England that found full vaccination reduced the chance of infection by 72 percent, notably lower than the effectiveness rates in studies involving earlier variants. But even in that study, just 0.07 percent of fully vaccinated people tested positive for COVID-19, compared to 0.24 percent of unvaccinated people.

In the United States, breakthrough infections still seem to be rare, notwithstanding the delta variant, as the CDC acknowledges. "The 125,682 'breakthrough' cases in 38 states found by NBC News represent less than .08 percent of the 164.2 million-plus people who have been fully vaccinated since January, or about one in every 1,300," CNBC reports. CNBC notes that "the total number of breakthrough cases is likely higher," since "nine states, including Pennsylvania and Missouri, did not provide any information" and "vaccinated adults who have breakthrough cases but show no symptoms could be missing from the data altogether." But even if the true number is two or three times as high, it would still not be remotely consistent with Walensky's risk estimate.

CNBC also quotes Erin McHenry, a spokesperson for the Minnesota Department of Health. "Our most recent data shows that 99.9 percent of Minnesotans who are fully vaccinated have not contracted the virus," she says.

https://reason.com/2021/07/30/the-provi ... that-risk/
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:47 pm

Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:A death rate from a new variant similar to MERS may well be nudging things.

You have to catch it first.

That is also true in studies that suggest vaccines are less effective at preventing infection by the delta variant. The CDC notes a recent population survey in England that found full vaccination reduced the chance of infection by 72 percent, notably lower than the effectiveness rates in studies involving earlier variants. But even in that study, just 0.07 percent of fully vaccinated people tested positive for COVID-19, compared to 0.24 percent of unvaccinated people.

In the United States, breakthrough infections still seem to be rare, notwithstanding the delta variant, as the CDC acknowledges. "The 125,682 'breakthrough' cases in 38 states found by NBC News represent less than .08 percent of the 164.2 million-plus people who have been fully vaccinated since January, or about one in every 1,300," CNBC reports. CNBC notes that "the total number of breakthrough cases is likely higher," since "nine states, including Pennsylvania and Missouri, did not provide any information" and "vaccinated adults who have breakthrough cases but show no symptoms could be missing from the data altogether." But even if the true number is two or three times as high, it would still not be remotely consistent with Walensky's risk estimate.

CNBC also quotes Erin McHenry, a spokesperson for the Minnesota Department of Health. "Our most recent data shows that 99.9 percent of Minnesotans who are fully vaccinated have not contracted the virus," she says.

https://reason.com/2021/07/30/the-provi ... that-risk/

One in three deaths after infection with MERS. Israel is good at dealing with threats, the rest of us not so much.
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs