A Benjamin for a jab.

Re: A Benjamin for a jab.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:18 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Unvaccinated people spread the virus though and keep us all more vulnerable and restricted. This incentive isn’t just for them.

If they spread it to a vaccinated person, that vaccinated person is unlikely to be very ill though - if at all.

Ill enough to have to take time off work. The antibodies don’t stay forever.

I'm hoping that the vaccines are effective for a long time - maybe with yearly boosters. I mean, the point of the vaccines is that they're supposed to protect you from catching the virus or at least not being very ill if you do catch it. People take time off work if they get a cold, so there's no difference.

You can still get very ill, believe me, I’m double jabbed and I caught it, got quite a fever for 3/4days, while we were having the heatwave so it was a nightmare! So having the vaccine gives some protection but it doesn’t stop you catching it and getting quite ill. Much worse than a cold. It’ll be good when it mutates to be like a cold though, we aren’t there yet.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:21 am

drum wrote:Lloyds chemists are taking names for the boosters already, I registered my name for that and the flu jab again.

That's good. I really think that's all we can do. IMO, if this virus isn't going away there's no point in obsessing about the numbers of infected people and having restrictions on and off all the time. I still wear a mask in shops and other places, and I don't mind doing that, but I can't be doing with places opening and closing all the time.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:38 am

Well I hope more people can be cajoled into being jabbed so that we can all live without all the restrictions.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:42 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:Well I hope more people can be cajoled into being jabbed so that we can all live without all the restrictions.

People who won't have the vaccine cannot be allowed to influence restrictions IMO. As long as most people are vaccinated, there is no need for restrictions (other than voluntary ones like wearing a mask). If it is a problem then Covid passports might become necessary. If unvaccinated people find they can't go anywhere, they'll soon change their minds, unless they're really determined not to have one.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:53 am

Yes mum. Meanwhile in the real world….
Lady Murasaki

Postby drum » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:54 am

I've just been reading that Australia has deployed the military to enforce their now covid lockdown.
drum

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:19 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Unvaccinated people spread the virus though and keep us all more vulnerable and restricted. This incentive isn’t just for them.

If they spread it to a vaccinated person, that vaccinated person is unlikely to be very ill though - if at all.

Ill enough to have to take time off work. The antibodies don’t stay forever.

I'm hoping that the vaccines are effective for a long time - maybe with yearly boosters. I mean, the point of the vaccines is that they're supposed to protect you from catching the virus or at least not being very ill if you do catch it. People take time off work if they get a cold, so there's no difference.

You can still get very ill, believe me, I’m double jabbed and I caught it, got quite a fever for 3/4days, while we were having the heatwave so it was a nightmare! So having the vaccine gives some protection but it doesn’t stop you catching it and getting quite ill. Much worse than a cold. It’ll be good when it mutates to be like a cold though, we aren’t there yet.

I'm sorry you were ill. However, you didn't go to hospital and you're still here, so that's all good. I guess people do get ill and it's horrible, but that doesn't mean we have to shut everything down. My point about colds is that some people do take time of work with them. I get terrible colds and I always had time off work. I ended up in hospital one time with a secondary infection.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:32 am

Things were getting shut down with people getting pinged. The track n trace doesn’t really work well either. It’s all about opening the world back up now and trying to get people to be responsible for others as well as themselves. Good luck to the government with that, doesn’t help that they’re such self serving twerps themselves.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:22 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:Things were getting shut down with people getting pinged. The track n trace doesn’t really work well either. It’s all about opening the world back up now and trying to get people to be responsible for others as well as themselves. Good luck to the government with that, doesn’t help that they’re such self serving twerps themselves.

On the topic of this thread I'm always in favour of pragmatism.

Conservatives are all for using tax credits to promote 'traditional marriage' for the good of society but get antsy when money is used to promote public health. What's up with that?

Off topic thanks for getting the Jewish American thread Lady M.
Cactus Jack

Postby common sense » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:19 pm

Maddog wrote:Do you think an arm or a leg would fall off if I was double vaccinated?

No but yer manhood would, so I heard. :yikes:
common sense

Postby Maddog » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
drum wrote:Lloyds chemists are taking names for the boosters already, I registered my name for that and the flu jab again.

That's good. I really think that's all we can do. IMO, if this virus isn't going away there's no point in obsessing about the numbers of infected people and having restrictions on and off all the time. I still wear a mask in shops and other places, and I don't mind doing that, but I can't be doing with places opening and closing all the time.

That's exactly right . Vaccines work better than lockdowns. Lockdowns are needed when there isn't any other defense, like a vaccine. People have protection available now. They can move on with life or not with a pretty reasonable level of safety or roll the dice.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:55 pm

Maddog wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

That's exactly right . Vaccines work better than lockdowns. Lockdowns are needed when there isn't any other defense, like a vaccine. People have protection available now. They can move on with life or not with a pretty reasonable level of safety or roll the dice.

So lockdowns and vaccines are better than either separately.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:58 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Lockdowns have their own sets of problems that make them unnecessary with a vaccine that provides good protection..
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:04 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Lockdowns have their own sets of problems that make them unnecessary with a vaccine that provides good protection..

Vaccines only provide that kind of protection when over 80% of the population are vaccinated.

In the UK we're at around 75% and in the USA you're at around 50% with some areas much lower.

The worst possible scenario is having an insufficiently vaccinated population where escape variants can emerge in the largely vaccinated population then spread massively in the unvaccinated population.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:13 pm

The vaccines provide good protection and are readily available to anyone that wants them, in our countries anyway.

There is no need for lockdowns at this point. The vaccinated can go on about their life. Or I guess they can lock themselves down themselves if they are still worried about it.

You don't seem to want to acknowledge the damage lockdowns do and the unintended consequences of them.
Maddog

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs