Eric tells Boris to take a flying effing leap.

Re: Eric tells Boris to take a flying effing leap.

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:27 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Discrimination is the right word though.

Discrimination may be a good idea for health reasons, but it's still discrimination.

The question is, can we morally force people to make good health decisions for them and the community?

If you want to see Slow Hand play, I guess the answer is no.

I disagree.

Being discriminated against usually refers to an individual being treated unfavourably due to circumstances beyond their control. Deciding whether to have the vaccine or not is within everyone's control.

Up until this week, supermarkets wouldn't let anyone in without a mask (excluding those who are exempt). Those refused entry, or ejected, for not wearing a mask, aren't being discriminated against either.

And if that store had a policy of no purple hair, would folks who refused to wear a different color be discriminated against?

What about a restaurant that requires a coat and tie? They will discriminate against those that refuse to wear one.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:28 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Covid cases accelerating in the most vaccinated countries not in the least vaccinated.

That's because they never decelerated in the unvaccinated ones.
Cactus Jack

Postby Red Okktober » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:37 pm

Maddog wrote:
It's prejudicial treatment based on someone being in the non vaccinated category.

The word works well enough.

To split it down further - you have those who have refused the vaccine, and also those who haven't been offered it yet (under the age group). Those who have refused it, definitely aren't being discriminated against. Those who are too young to have been offered it fall more into the 'unfortunate' category and will just have to wait to see if Clapton lives long enough to perform more concerts once they have had the jab.

I would imagine though that the age of those not vaccinated who are interested in seeing Clapton live, is far more likely to be in the 'those who have refused' it bracket, rather than those 'too young to have been offered it' bracket.
Red Okktober

Postby Red Okktober » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 pm

Maddog wrote:
And if that store had a policy of no purple hair, would folks who refused to wear a different color be discriminated against?

What about a restaurant that requires a coat and tie? They will discriminate against those that refuse to wear one.

A no purple hair rule would be pretty obscure, but I guess that would fall under discrimination - although I can't imagine the circumstances where that rule would apply.

A coat and tie rule is very common though, and those who want to enter an establishment that has that rule but aren't dressed accordingly, aren't being discriminated against - they are just failing to meet the dress code.
Red Okktober

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:07 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:Discrimination is a strong word to use in the circumstances, and the wrong one imo.

It just common sense to allow those less likely (vaccinated) to spread the virus into crowded indoor venues, and keep those more likely (not vaccinated), out.

Off topic, but Clapton was one of the first live acts I ever saw in my youth - he was 2 hours late on stage due to 'technical reasons' (he was pissed) - he was pretty good though, and I can still remember the crowd going crazy at the opening riff to Layla.

Discrimination is the right word though.

Discrimination may be a good idea for health reasons, but it's still discrimination.

The question is, can we morally force people to make good health decisions for them and the community?

If you want to see Slow Hand play, I guess the answer is no.

Discrimination is not the right word

Discrimination: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, sex, or disability.

Pick another one.

It's prejudicial treatment based on someone being in the non vaccinated category.

The word works well enough.

Not if you speak English as your native tongue.

I guess you must be 'Latinx' or latinx adjacent
Cactus Jack

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:08 pm

LOL - Eric Clapton and politics isn't really a good mix. The last time he got involved it triggered the Rock Against Racism movement to combat his ridiculous comments.

It probably is discriminatory treatment but under the law that is permissible to achieve a proportionate and justifiable aim (such as preventing the transmission of Covid-19. Why would we want to do that though?)
Avon Barksdale

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:37 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:LOL - Eric Clapton and politics isn't really a good mix. The last time he got involved it triggered the Rock Against Racism movement to combat his ridiculous comments.

It probably is discriminatory treatment but under the law that is permissible to achieve a proportionate and justifiable aim (such as preventing the transmission of Covid-19. Why would we want to do that though?)

I like people who throw bombs and speak truth to power. I think they are perfect mixes for politics.

I've never stated that discrimination isn't permissible or legal. The government can set all sorts of restrictions on what people can do based on all sorts of nonsense. Our government placed people of Japanese ancestry in internment camps and our Supreme Court said it was permissible and legal. And that was done under the auspices of saving lives. :dunno:

Clapton will be fine though. He can just play here where there is far less likelihood that concert goers will need to produce their papers to attend his show.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:08 am

Maddog wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:LOL - Eric Clapton and politics isn't really a good mix. The last time he got involved it triggered the Rock Against Racism movement to combat his ridiculous comments.

I like people who throw bombs

So ISIS are your buddies.
Cactus Jack

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:42 am

It is discrimination but so what? People are afraid of that word because they usually associate it with things like race, gender, etc. It's fine to discriminate sometimes, and I bet most people do it.

It's up to Clapton of course but he won't be able to perform here against the law.
Raggamuffin

Postby Major » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:26 am

Nobody KNOWS FOR SURE the way out of this covid mess, confusion, I go by government, doctors advice, I do not know better, who really does??? not keyboard warriors who have entitlled opinions which I still like to read.

Who amongst you really have personal knowledge of the NHS, hospital situation????????
Major
Twat.

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 am

Major wrote:Nobody KNOWS FOR SURE the way out of this covid mess, confusion, I go by government, doctors advice, I do not know better, who really does??? not keyboard warriors who have entitlled opinions which I still like to read.

Who amongst you really have personal knowledge of the NHS, hospital situation????????

Exactly. People complain about government u-turns, lockdowns, lack of freedom, too much freedom, vaccines, people who don't have vaccines, herd immunity, lack of herd immunity. :woteva: Just look after yourself and try not to give anyone Covid. That's all we can do really.
Raggamuffin

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:44 am

Maddog wrote:

I like people who throw bombs and speak truth to power. I think they are perfect mixes for politics.

I've never stated that discrimination isn't permissible or legal. The government can set all sorts of restrictions on what people can do based on all sorts of nonsense. Our government placed people of Japanese ancestry in internment camps and our Supreme Court said it was permissible and legal. And that was done under the auspices of saving lives. :dunno:

Clapton will be fine though. He can just play here where there is far less likelihood that concert goers will need to produce their papers to attend his show.

Fair enough and in many ways I agree with you.

The justification for vaccine passports over here seems dubious and clearly illiberal. There is limited data to show that double vaccinations block or reduce transmission which is presumably the justification for having passports.

It seems more like an attempt by the Government to "nudge" youngsters into getting vaccinated when they may not really want to as they are the group who are more likely to go to concerts, festivals and so on.

I still think Eric Clapton is a dick though.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Red Okktober » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:59 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:Fair enough and in many ways I agree with you.

The justification for vaccine passports over here seems dubious and clearly illiberal. There is limited data to show that double vaccinations block or reduce transmission which is presumably the justification for having passports.

It seems more like an attempt by the Government to "nudge" youngsters into getting vaccinated when they may not really want to as they are the group who are more likely to go to concerts, festivals and so on.

I still think Eric Clapton is a dick though.

As long as it doesn't become compulsory, there's nowt wrong with giving people a nudge towards getting the vaccine.

It's too early to be precise with the science, but at this stage the indications are that being vaccinated is better than not being vaccinated, both individually and for society in terms of herd immunity.

So being allowed to 'do more things' if vaccinated makes perfectly good sense. Vaccine passports won't be forever, but are a good idea for this moment in time and the stage we are currently at.
Red Okktober

Postby common sense » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Eric can fuck right off. Wouldn't pay a penny to see him. Boris would make 100 of him. :Hiya:
common sense

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Covid cases accelerating in the most vaccinated countries not in the least vaccinated.

That's because they never decelerated in the unvaccinated ones.

COVID Cases Are Surging in the Most-Vaxxed Countries, Not in the Least-Vaxxed
Dr. Robert Malone, who pioneered the mRNA vaccine technology is concerned that the countries with the smallest percentage of their population vaccinated have the fewest number of new Covid cases. Countries with the largest percentages of population vaccinated have surging numbers of new Covid cases. https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/.../co ... es-are.../
https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/.../covid-cases-are.../
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs