Eric tells Boris to take a flying effing leap.

Eric tells Boris to take a flying effing leap.

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:01 pm

Famed musician Eric Clapton said on Wednesday that he will not perform in any venue that requires audience members to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

"Following the PM's announcement on Monday the 19th of July 2021, I feel honor bound to make an announcement of my own: I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present," Clapton wrote.

He was referring to an announcement from British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who stated that starting in September, people will have to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccinations in order to go to venues and nightclubs.

Clapton made his statement through social media accounts of the London-based Italian architect and film producer Robin Monotti Graziadei, who has repeatedly spoken out against vaccines.

In May, Clapton said that he had experienced a "severe" reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine and that he was afraid that he would "never play again." He also said he was inspired by another musician turned anti-vaccine activist, Van Morrison.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/22/10192100 ... ment-shows

That's the British attitude I like to see. :more beer:
Maddog

Re: Eric tells Boris to take a flying effing leap.

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:43 pm

Didn't you say you were vaccinated?

When did you become and anti-vaxxer
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:59 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Didn't you say you were vaccinated?

Eric is vaccinated.

I am vaccinated.

Like Eric, I don't give a shit if you are, but I would recommend it.

I would never treat you as an outcast because you weren't.

Once again, my positions are always quite nuanced.
Maddog

Postby xtras1 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:00 pm

Maddog wrote:Famed musician Eric Clapton said on Wednesday that he will not perform in any venue that requires audience members to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

"Following the PM's announcement on Monday the 19th of July 2021, I feel honor bound to make an announcement of my own: I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present," Clapton wrote.

He was referring to an announcement from British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who stated that starting in September, people will have to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccinations in order to go to venues and nightclubs.

Clapton made his statement through social media accounts of the London-based Italian architect and film producer Robin Monotti Graziadei, who has repeatedly spoken out against vaccines.

In May, Clapton said that he had experienced a "severe" reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine and that he was afraid that he would "never play again." He also said he was inspired by another musician turned anti-vaccine activist, Van Morrison.

What a prick.. I hope he gets zilch for audience numbers!

These arse holes make me sick.
Boris seems to be doing everything backwards anyway.. but have some respect for those who are for the vaccine, the sensible ones :snooty:
xtras1

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:02 pm

xtras1 wrote:
Maddog wrote:Famed musician Eric Clapton said on Wednesday that he will not perform in any venue that requires audience members to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Boris seems to be doing everything backwards anyway.. but have some respect for those who are for the vaccine, the sensible ones :snooty:

I'm for leaving people alone.

But I'm a prick. :ooer: :more beer:
Maddog

Postby xtras1 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:04 pm

Maddog wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

Noooooo not you the prick! Eric!

Anyway you still haven't answered my question on the celeb being sued for using her own photo thread :ooer:
xtras1

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:13 pm

xtras1 wrote:
Maddog wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

Noooooo not you the prick! Eric!

Anyway you still haven't answered my question on the celeb being sued for using her own photo thread :ooer:

World's full of pricks eh?

And check the thread and the link.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:26 pm

Maddog wrote:

Eric is vaccinated.

I am vaccinated.

What you're doing is failing to understand a nuance. The word you're looking for to describe you position isn't nuanced it's stupid.

Vaccination isn't a strategy that can help in only individuals get vaccinated it depends on herd immunity, the more people who get vaccinated the better the chances of avoiding an 'escape' mutation.

Once a vaccine resistant strain of covid-19 develops we'll all be back to square one.
Cactus Jack

Postby Red Okktober » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:38 pm

Discrimination is a strong word to use in the circumstances, and the wrong one imo.

It just common sense to allow those less likely (vaccinated) to spread the virus into crowded indoor venues, and keep those more likely (not vaccinated), out.

Off topic, but Clapton was one of the first live acts I ever saw in my youth - he was 2 hours late on stage due to 'technical reasons' (he was pissed) - he was pretty good though, and I can still remember the crowd going crazy at the opening riff to Layla.
Red Okktober

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:44 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Eric is vaccinated.

I am vaccinated.

What you're doing is failing to understand a nuance. The word you're looking for to describe you position isn't nuanced it's stupid.

Vaccination isn't a strategy that can help in only individuals get vaccinated it depends on herd immunity, the more people who get vaccinated the better the chances of avoiding an 'escape' mutation.

Once a vaccine resistant strain of covid-19 develops we'll all be back to square one.

Nah, it's nuanced.

Not getting a vaccination may be stupid. Not requiring others to get one is leaving folks alone. It's sorta a default position of mine.

Seems to be one of Eric's too. Good for him. We are a small minority no doubt.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:47 pm

Red Okktober wrote:Discrimination is a strong word to use in the circumstances, and the wrong one imo.

It just common sense to allow those less likely (vaccinated) to spread the virus into crowded indoor venues, and keep those more likely (not vaccinated), out.

Off topic, but Clapton was one of the first live acts I ever saw in my youth - he was 2 hours late on stage due to 'technical reasons' (he was pissed) - he was pretty good though, and I can still remember the crowd going crazy at the opening riff to Layla.

Discrimination is the right word though.

Discrimination may be a good idea for health reasons, but it's still discrimination.

The question is, can we morally force people to make good health decisions for them and the community?

If you want to see Slow Hand play, I guess the answer is no.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:53 pm

Maddog wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:Discrimination is a strong word to use in the circumstances, and the wrong one imo.

Discrimination may be a good idea for health reasons, but it's still discrimination.

The question is, can we morally force people to make good health decisions for them and the community?

Discrimination is not the right word

Discrimination: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, sex, or disability.

Pick another one.
Cactus Jack

Postby Red Okktober » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:16 pm

Maddog wrote:

I disagree.

Being discriminated against usually refers to an individual being treated unfavourably due to circumstances beyond their control. Deciding whether to have the vaccine or not is within everyone's control.

Up until this week, supermarkets wouldn't let anyone in without a mask (excluding those who are exempt). Those refused entry, or ejected, for not wearing a mask, aren't being discriminated against either.
Red Okktober

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:18 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Discrimination is not the right word

Discrimination: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, sex, or disability.

Pick another one.

It's prejudicial treatment based on someone being in the non vaccinated category.

The word works well enough.
Maddog

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:24 pm

Covid cases accelerating in the most vaccinated countries not in the least vaccinated.
Rolluplostinspace

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs