Nurses deride 3% pay offer.

Re: Nurses deride 3% pay offer.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:18 am

Guest wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Guest wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Why does every thread about healthcare become about some American trying to sell us their failed system?

Americans pay twice as much as a percentage of GDP and their healthcare outcomes do not match up to that investment - or come anywhere close.

I'm an expat living in America now. So I've experienced both healthcare systems. Do you want to explain to me why I know the American system is better?
I'm absolutely certain I can shoot down any BS you try to post by using personal experience of both systems unlike you.

The expats I know from Canada and the UK complain about it being more complicated, and it is. You have a lot more options, which is new to people used to one.

I've never heard one wish they were being treated "back home", when the shit hits the fan though.

At the end of the day, when you or a loved one are in pain or need help, money, simplicity and fairness become very unimportant. The best care is all that matters.

It's me the ex-pat, Not sure what you mean about it being more complicated Maddog?
Any time I need to see a doctor I phone book an appointment that suits my schedule and go see them. I hand over insurance card and State id. they pay the co-payment and that's it.
If I need a follow appointment like I do on Wednesday. It will be the same format I show up at appointed time see the receptionist and fill in the usual forms hand over my Insurance card and ID and pay co-payment.
I drive home and stop to pick up any prescriptions at my local Pharmacy that have already been sent through electronically.
I've used the NHS and switch to private health care when I lived in the UK.
I notice CJ didn't respond to me though. I guess he only has a hard on for you :bawlin:

What about ambulance services?

The average cost of an ambulance ride in Dallas is close to $15,500, that's about £11,000. How much more do you pay to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance in England?

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:39 am

Guest wrote:What about ambulance services?

The average cost of an ambulance ride in Dallas is close to $15,500, that's about £11,000. How much more do you pay to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance in England?

That seems like a lot of money.

I've googled for ambulance costs in Texas and got a link for Irving - they're connected to fire department so there may be some cost saving there but I worked out travelling about ten miles to a resident a hosptial would be

The basic cost - (assuming basic life support) - $750
The per mile charge 10 @$15 per mile - £150
First aid - $100
Telemetry - $5

Then the 30% extra for consumables - most everything disposable including wipes, gloves etc.

https://www.cityofirving.org/2491/Ambul ... rvice-Fees

I work that out to closer to $1,300 but let's say I missed something and it's $1,400 - that's still a lot, about £1,000 before you even get to see the doctor in A & E, and I'm sure some places cost more than others but I have my doubts about paying ten times as much.

FYI in the UK most people don't pay for ambulances at the point of use.
Cactus Jack

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:55 pm

The NHS seems to be falling apart. I read today that quite a lot of people are paying for operations, even heart operations, rather than be put on a waiting list. I know someone who could do with an operation but he's been told not to hold his breath because of the waiting list. Routine stuff seems to be OK - I can always get an appointment with a nurse, but I haven't attempted to see a doctor for ages now - luckily, I haven't needed to.
Raggamuffin

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs