Migrant Children Languished in Filthy Conditions

Migrant Children Languished in Filthy Conditions

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:05 am

Detained minors in their testimonials for the case described limited time outside, sporadic showers, and being served inadequate or unsafe food, including raw chicken and foul-smelling hamburgers. A 13-year-old Honduran recounted being "locked up all day" during five days in Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) custody. A 14-year-old Guatemalan girl said that detainees at a facility in Houston had to drink expired milk when they ran out of water. "I was never allowed to make a phone call while I was there," said a 17-year-old Honduran who was in CBP custody for 11 days. Minors reported receiving few details about how long they would be in custody and many were transferred to other facilities with little notice or explanation.

Those conditions have left detained minors despondent. "I used to be able to cope with my anxiety and breathe through it, but now I feel like I've given up," said a 17-year-old from Guatemala. "I feel like I'll never get out of here." One child was placed on suicide watch and another described how difficult it was to get an appointment with a counselor, though many girls in detention "have thoughts of cutting themselves." Teens have resorted to cutting themselves with their identification cards since employees at one facility banned pencils, pens, toothbrushes, and even the metal nose clips of N95 face masks over concerns of self-harm, according to testimony and worker accounts.

https://reason.com/2021/07/08/migrant-c ... owers-say/

I have friends that work for the Federal government. They could have volunteered here because they were taking any Federal Employee that wanted the gig. Mind you, these guys have zero experience with these conditions (they are analysts that look at computer screens all day), but they could have worked there.

Lets look at why they became overrun.

A video clipping of Biden speaking at a debate prior to general elections in 2019 clearly shows him say, 'Surge the borders.' "I would in fact make sure that there is immediately a surge to the border. They deserve to be heard. That's who we are. "We're a nation that says, 'You want to flee, and you're fleeing oppression, you should come,'" Biden had told during a debate moderated by Univision's Jorge Ramos in 2019.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/fact-check-did-b ... ideo-56402

So they did, as soon as Joe was elected.

Then Joe, had to change his stance a few months after his election (he's a politician, no surprise), as they came in such numbers they overwhelmed the system.

President Biden on Tuesday urged migrants not to make the journey to the U.S. as his administration struggles to get a handle on a surge at the southern border.

"I can say quite clearly don't come over," Biden told George Stephanopoulos of ABC News in an interview scheduled to air Wednesday morning. "Don't leave your town or city or community."

Biden conceded the surge "could be" worse than the one that prompted a significant crackdown from the Trump administration and threats to close the border in 2019 but said it was not there yet.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... the-border

These people are political pawns, nothing else.

Did y'all play they game of "red light, green light" over there as children? This is a real life version with deadly consequences.
Maddog

Re: Migrant Children Languished in Filthy Conditions

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:35 am

this is a humanitarian crisis and should be treated as such

not used to score poitical points by anyone

there are no easy solutions no matter where you fall on the political spectrum
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:28 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:this is a humanitarian crisis and should be treated as such

not used to score poitical points by anyone

there are no easy solutions no matter where you fall on the political spectrum

Too late for that.

And the solution will require congress to act. They are too dead locked. So the best one could hope for is consistent stance from the president, not one that exasperates the problem amd makes more people suffer.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:13 am

"It's the latest indication of the Biden administration's wariness over migrants, including those seeking asylum, journeying to the US southern border. Asked about Vice President Kamala Harris' "don't come" message to migrants, President Joe Biden reiterated that "they should not come" during a CNN town hall last week, adding that the administration is trying to tackle the root causes of migration."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/26/politics ... index.html

Sure is a different tune since the campaign.. :gigglesnshit:
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:37 pm

U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, a Democrat from Laredo, penned a letter alongside Republican U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, raising concerns about the growing number of migrants crossing the country’s southern border, and calling for the White House and the Department of Homeland Security to appoint a new border czar.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/30 ... rder-czar/

Meanwhile, back at the border, the problem intensifies.
Maddog

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:36 pm

Maddog wrote:U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, a Democrat from Laredo, penned a letter alongside Republican U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, raising concerns about the growing number of migrants crossing the country’s southern border, and calling for the White House and the Department of Homeland Security to appoint a new border czar.

They need to make sure they all get vaccinated before being let out of any detention centers

Postby Maddog » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:16 pm

Guest wrote:
Maddog wrote:U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, a Democrat from Laredo, penned a letter alongside Republican U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, raising concerns about the growing number of migrants crossing the country’s southern border, and calling for the White House and the Department of Homeland Security to appoint a new border czar.

They need to make sure they all get vaccinated before being let out of any detention centers

That's not happening.
Maddog

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs